1 2 3 4 5
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/15 8:16 a.m.

rotary swapped GLC (check the open classifieds), starlet, vintage celica (would likely need work in that price range), Volvo 240 (can make quick in that price range with a 5.38 rear end, limited slip and factory turbo bits)

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/7/15 9:48 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I mentioned E36 M3 in my first post... IIRC the coupes have fold down rear seats, which is most likely what I'd need to get a set of wheels in there. The four door has a fixed back seat unless I'm really mistaken.

Got ya I had not seen much more discussion about it so wondered. I would think at least 2 could go trunk and 2 could go on the back seat on a towel even if the seats didnt fold?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/15 9:52 a.m.

Galant VR4

/Thread

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/15 10:24 a.m.

E36 M3 or as mentioned earlier, a lightly modded 328is could work as well.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/7/15 10:32 a.m.

rx8 and 1000 dollars to spare

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/15 10:35 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I mentioned E36 M3 in my first post... IIRC the coupes have fold down rear seats, which is most likely what I'd need to get a set of wheels in there. The four door has a fixed back seat unless I'm really mistaken.

As another noted above, some e36 sedans (non-M and M-cars) came with fold down rear seats, some did not.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/15 10:44 a.m.

Buy a tow rig, trailer and then shuffle whatever you have around to/from the track along with spares, etc.

or stop messing around with track days and spend that $6K on road racing/cheap endurance racing in rented cars which is where the real learning happens thanks to speed differentials and wheel to wheel racing.

Or spend a little more and buy an Exocet kit/spare Miata, WWII bomber jacket, strap spare wheels to the back and go have some fun.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/7/15 10:55 a.m.

Someone ran a Jimmy in one lap a few years back. What more proof could you need?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/7/15 11:37 a.m.

Honestly why not your Miata? I used to autocross my 93 all over the Central Division. I could fit me, 4 mounted R comps, jack, tools, clothes sleeping bag, one man tent and food in it as long as I left the donut spare behind, but as I had four other tires with me that wasn't an issue. OK, I had to unpack and re-pack to raise lower the top, but at the time it was fine. Without wheels and tires you can fit two people and camping gear inside an NA miata with a spare tire.

I made a rule years ago. I will autocross and open track the car on the same wheels and tires I drive it to work every day on. Long gone are the days of swapping wheels and tires at events.

Mountains and snow are another issue though. What do you really want to get out of tracking a car? Precision? Fastest guy out there? Warp speed? Man over machine hairy chested battle? Vehicles meeting all of those things have been suggested so far.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/7/15 11:38 a.m.

Hang on, what about your 996 with the hard top in place? Get what you really want for the good weather, but for iffy situations run the Porsche with a hard top on and drive there on all seasons?

turboswede
1/7/15 11:58 a.m.

Ahem:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-S-Coupe-2-Door-1987-porsche-924-s-low-miles-rare-/141533171842?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20f408d082&item=141533171842&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Add Ground Control Spec-944 suspension, load spare set of wheels and tires in the back, drive.

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
1/7/15 12:01 p.m.

IS300 (since gutless Miatas are ok) and go taunt E36 M3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3NX5oXpk8

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/15 12:38 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Honestly why not your Miata?

Because I'd have to borrow that back from bgkast and he's a ten hour drive away? .

I needed something a bit bigger than a Miata because as much as I like them, I just don't fit them well with a regular roll bar in place. Custom roll bar may be an option, though, but even then the ergonomics are marginal for me since my knees got worse.

At this point in time the car needs to be slow enough for me to learn to drive it properly on the track. The idea is to have a dual purpose car that can do SCCA CT/TT and get me to a track 200-300 miles away without beating me up completely. The MR2 was supposed to fill this role but apart from its propensity to break something if I look away for thirty seconds, I have the tire transport issue with it. Plus, it's a nice low mileage one so cutting up the interior for a proper roll bar so I can run harnesses feels like sacrilege.

I don't have the storage option (ie garage space) for a full blown race car right now unless I buy one with an enclosed trailer. The latter would probably require me to upgrade my truck as it'll be marginal towing through the mountains. Basically all the other local SCCA members that use enclosed trailers have at least a 3/4 ton truck, I have an old 1/2 ton.

The 996 is a slushbox AWD one. Not sure that'll be good on the track, although I guess it'd do fine as a backup and potential Auto-X vehicle.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/7/15 12:47 p.m.

I know a set of tires, tools, 2 helmets, and jack can fit behind the front seats with a harness bar installed (so all should fit with TT legal rollbar). Fantastic in FSP trim which is also a TT class. Lots of change left from your $6k. Parts are $100 or less meaning lots of $$ for track time.

turboswede
1/7/15 12:53 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

So getting back to the 924S/944. 150hp and they generally fight with SpecMiatas for track space here in the PNW. Tough and reliable (even to this day) with a decent chassis that is well known and proven. Lots around for cheap and easy repairs if an oops happens, etc.

Here's a friend's build on a rather forlorn 924S for track day work: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=40269

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/7/15 12:54 p.m.

I ran this over at the new years Chumpcar race. Ran 3 seconds off the fastest car out there. It can fit all your spares gear etc.

Its registered and street legal. Aside from being loud its nice on the street. One of the guys was driving it 60 miles to work and back as a shake down before the event.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/7/15 12:58 p.m.

Maybe a bit over your $6k budget. I randomly search CL in hopes of building something similar.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
1/7/15 1:11 p.m.

e46 wagon? Seem to be cheaper than the coupes/sedans. Bit hard to find with a stick but not impossible.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/7/15 1:12 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Ahem: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-S-Coupe-2-Door-1987-porsche-924-s-low-miles-rare-/141533171842?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20f408d082&item=141533171842&pt=US_Cars_Trucks Add Ground Control Spec-944 suspension, load spare set of wheels and tires in the back, drive.

I think this is worth a closer look.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/7/15 1:38 p.m.

I have found your winner:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4836244794.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/7/15 1:41 p.m.

EG Civic hatch.

Tons of parts availability. It will carry the tires and then some. Fun to drive. Willing engine.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/7/15 1:45 p.m.

This could be fun too but also $1500 over priced in my opinion. 2000 Ranger with SVO motor swap

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4831098307.html

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
1/7/15 2:22 p.m.
chrispy wrote: I know a set of tires, tools, 2 helmets, and jack can fit behind the front seats with a harness bar installed (so all should fit with TT legal rollbar). Fantastic in FSP trim which is also a TT class. Lots of change left from your $6k. Parts are $100 or less meaning lots of $$ for track time.

This has no drift tax.... but beware... ALL the rwd cars are now climbing in price... Another option for you would be one of the E7 cars... right now the liftback model is the least valuable...

It isn't hard to swap in a 4AGE, or use a boosted 3T if you have a T equipped model. tools, tires, jacks, tarps sleeping bags, cooler, etc, etc can fit in the back of a liftback

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/15 2:28 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Well, I do prefer the looks of the coupe like yours, but the liftback would make a nice oddball track car.

How much fab work is needed to get a 4AGE in there, or is it more of a bolt-on swap? I know I can handle the electronics side of it, but would be a little concerned about the mechanical side. In general I would prefer to avoid boost on something like this.

I assume that with all of them, you can swap in AE86 suspension components, correct?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/7/15 2:47 p.m.

haven't read the whole thread … has a P71 been mentioned ? should check all the boxes for you

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CNrRE1R5LtTjAAh6CaD6FIRNSW0A2Z1tbOwPkerIzckSy0ElXTJC2YaNWaQXLy4v