1 2 3 4
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/24/12 10:15 p.m.

Porsche had some out-there colors in the past, esp. bright greens. Signal Green, anyone? Or Kelly, or Shamrock, or Viper, or Conda Green (below)?

Then there's the historical Mustang colors Ford brought back like School Bus Yellow and Grabber Blue:

How could y'all forget Plum Crazy?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/12 11:21 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
ransom wrote: The metallic coppery orange or orangey copper they've been painting cars is inexcusable.
I agree. It's disgusting.

I berkeleying love that color... especially on the Fiat.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/12 11:23 p.m.
Woody wrote:

Ok one person managed to find a color I wouldn't paint a car other then silver, white, grey or biege. I don't ever want to own a car in those colors.

The reason I started this thread was to get ideas of colors to paint my vehicles.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/24/12 11:33 p.m.

Metal flake is the new black. Pick any color. Now imagine it sparkly.

BigD
BigD Reader
9/24/12 11:49 p.m.

Black. It's technically not a color but that's also why I hate it. The only exception is BMW. If you buy a BMW, you may also choose to not reflect any parts of the light spectrum.

Otherwise, for any color imaginable, there's a car that looks cool rocking it.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 HalfDork
9/25/12 4:51 a.m.
BigD wrote: Black. It's technically not a color but that's also why I hate it. The only exception is BMW. If you buy a BMW, you may also choose to not reflect any parts of the light spectrum. Otherwise, for any color imaginable, there's a car that looks cool rocking it.

Except that it does. Even flat black. If it didn't reflect, then black wouldn't be shiny. But I guess we are working with imperfect "black" pigments? But then, I think black looks good on just about anything. Trying to think of a vehicle it doesn't look good on.

How has TVR not yet been mentioned?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
9/25/12 5:24 a.m.

That last TVR (Sagaris?) makes my brain feel like mush. Truly cool.

GM made a color called Riptide Blue, I don't know what cars it was on, but they painted Escalades and Tahoes and whatnot with it, it was pretty wild, while being subdued at the same time, sort of greenish blue. Very nice finish on it, though.

This was the best picture of it I could find, it looks a lot cooler up close:

And of course the color the ZR1 comes in:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/12 7:21 a.m.
BigD wrote: Black. It's technically not a color but that's also why I hate it. The only exception is BMW. If you buy a BMW, you may also choose to not reflect any parts of the light spectrum. Otherwise, for any color imaginable, there's a car that looks cool rocking it.

used to be if you owned a black european car.. especially a sedan.. it meant business. Just look at the black BMWs and Saabs from the 80s.. you just knew those cars meant business

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/25/12 7:47 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I can think of Mopar Limelight, In Violet, Moulin Rouge, that orange they had (what is that called),

Do you mean Go Mango?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/12 8:10 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I can think of Mopar Limelight, In Violet, Moulin Rouge, that orange they had (what is that called),
Do you mean Go Mango?

Yeah that one. OR Hemi Orange

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
9/25/12 8:28 a.m.

Yesterday I passed some '70s land yacht painted a pale mint green. It was actually a pretty good color if you've got to drive a '70s land yacht.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:28 a.m.

I love this:

Because of this, and the fact that my Dad had a AMC Rebel this color before Grabber Blue even came out:

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:29 a.m.

Mopar really had some of the wildest colors:

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:31 a.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/25/12 8:32 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:

was waiting for this.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:33 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Well wait no more. I actually have always hated that color, but to each his own.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/12 8:34 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
was waiting for this.

There's a body shop near me that has a sign made out of a Mustang hood painted this color, probably just to show that they can shoot it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/25/12 8:37 a.m.

I believe they called it "mystic."

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:41 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Yup.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/25/12 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

That's something to brag about, I suppose. I've been painting cars since the early 70's, and I don't think I'd even attempt to paint one of those, although I'm not up on what process and paint was used to achieve that look. Maybe it's not as tough as it seems.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/25/12 8:45 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

paint sand clear coat sand paint sand clear coat sand paint sand clear coat sand paint sand clear coat sand paint sand repeat.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
9/25/12 9:04 a.m.

Swedish Racing Green:

I love it!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/12 10:42 a.m.

While not mine (I can't find any pictures of my 911) it was this exact shade of orange.. I miss it

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
9/25/12 10:50 a.m.

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster...in Metallic Pea.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
9/25/12 10:53 a.m.

NYG Neon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lWny2YIZhCQpnDwUbPtkaBhWge6N7NlC6dWh0DrdQhJZs55w7qFpyyPouodVt6ur