1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/12/12 6:33 a.m.

Joey M, I was a judge at Lake Mirror and had judging duties for most of the day. That is why you couldn't find me.

JFX001 Not true that he was always good to his own people. I know several of his ex employees, like Peter Brock, quite well.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/12/12 7:46 a.m.

Shelby in a Ferrari. Funny, in light of later developments. I don't doubt that he was an ass at times and was probably hard to work for. No one is perfect and sometimes people who are determined to get to the top will let nothing stand in their way. That's how they get to the top.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
5/12/12 8:18 a.m.

The thing people have to realize with the lawsuits is when it comes to copyright and trademark protection you can't be choosy. If you dont defend against infringements, all infringements, then you give up your right to that copyright or trademark.

In Shelby's instance if he hadn't gone after the car clubs and fan clubs then the other manufacturers can make the case in court that he has not defended his copyright in the past so what right does he have to go after them now.

No doubt he had his good and bad points, that's what made him human, and to manage to live the life he lived and do the things he's done and remain human, that is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of them all.

Rest in Peace Mr Shelby.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
5/12/12 8:57 a.m.

In reply to racerfink:

I almost pulled the trigger on a GLHS a few weeks ago. I'll bet the price has just gone up.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/12/12 9:05 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Joey M, I was a judge at Lake Mirror and had judging duties for most of the day. That is why you couldn't find me.

That is a decent reason.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/12/12 9:12 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: The thing people have to realize with the lawsuits is when it comes to copyright and trademark protection you can't be choosy. If you dont defend against infringements, all infringements, then you give up your right to that copyright or trademark. In Shelby's instance if he hadn't gone after the car clubs and fan clubs then the other manufacturers can make the case in court that he has not defended his copyright in the past so what right does he have to go after them now. No doubt he had his good and bad points, that's what made him human, and to manage to live the life he lived and do the things he's done and remain human, that is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of them all. Rest in Peace Mr Shelby.

That's why Ford sued the Mustang club(s) that were using their logos etc on calendars and other stuff. So maybe he didn't have much choice.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/12/12 9:40 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: JFX001 Not true that he was always good to his own people. I know several of his ex employees, like Peter Brock, quite well.

I said that he was always spoke complimentary about the guys he brought together and the ones that made it happen. At least in interviews.

*EDIT...spellin' arror

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
5/12/12 9:51 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
JThw8 wrote: The thing people have to realize with the lawsuits is when it comes to copyright and trademark protection you can't be choosy. If you dont defend against infringements, all infringements, then you give up your right to that copyright or trademark. In Shelby's instance if he hadn't gone after the car clubs and fan clubs then the other manufacturers can make the case in court that he has not defended his copyright in the past so what right does he have to go after them now. No doubt he had his good and bad points, that's what made him human, and to manage to live the life he lived and do the things he's done and remain human, that is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of them all. Rest in Peace Mr Shelby.
That's why Ford sued the Mustang club(s) that were using their logos etc on calendars and other stuff. So maybe he didn't have much choice.

Exactly, it seems like a E36 M3ty move but you can thank the lawyers that they really have no choice. If you don't protect it, you loose it.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
5/12/12 10:04 a.m.

No doubt about it, he was a promotor and in the old carnival days he might be called a shill. It seems that people like him don't exist anymore sort of like Bill France. He was the sort that you could dislike him personally but like the products he was responsible for. If Iacoca had not liked him, I wonder what might have been.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
5/12/12 12:19 p.m.

I never really got it but when I got a good look Tim's mustang at the Mitty

TeamEvil
TeamEvil New Reader
5/12/12 1:19 p.m.

Shelby dead ? ! ? !

Damn, and I had a few things that I wanted him to sign . . . .

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/12/12 2:38 p.m.

Meh. I don't care but then I am a bit jaded about this.

A little story. A very wealthy friend of mine wanted him to build one of the twin turbo trans Am's that he made and was in one of the car magazines at the time (1987). I called and was very polite and asked to speak to some one about making arrangements to purchase one. They ran me around and I guess they thought I was not serious. So my friend got pissed and said screw them and asked me to go get a new MB 560 sel (a 90K car in 1987) as a birthday present for her husband. I made one last call to Shelby and all they could say to me was "you know that carol is a he not a she" I said yes I do and you just lost a sale you idiots. I went and purchased the 560 the following morning.

So I could care less if he is gone. I never spoke to the man but his "people" in the mid 80's were idiots. And because they kind of made me look like an idiot. Up till then I had sung the praises of Shelby If they represented him then. .. . well enough said.

MostExaltedPotentate
MostExaltedPotentate Reader
5/12/12 5:40 p.m.

He's probably pissing Enzo off already.... and Dean

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
5/13/12 7:52 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

He was a marketer and a schmoozer and a patriot. He was not an exceptional engineer. If he was, he probably would have done things by the book and not have such outrageous and audacious ideas. I loved that man.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
5/13/12 1:42 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/12 8:30 a.m.
ditch digger wrote:

Ya but to make it you will need a letter from his estate saying you have paid the agreed upon royalties.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
5/14/12 9:38 a.m.

Carroll Shelby dies and a couple days later at the local roundy round track here, the one guy running a Ford engine has problems and ended up with a DNF after winning two weeks in a row.

Coincidence?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/12 10:03 a.m.

You can not deny that the stuff he built was very cool and effective and if not for his heart trouble he would have had a long racing career. If he was and shiny happy person from time to time I can overlook that. I would have loved to have a few beers with him and just listen to his stories. RIP.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/14/12 10:14 a.m.

If you buy his ready made chili mix in the bag it tells you on the package that good cuts of meat will screw it up. Gotta love that.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/14/12 10:16 a.m.
hotrodlarry wrote: Carroll Shelby dies and a couple days later at the local roundy round track here, the one guy running a Ford engine has problems and ended up with a DNF after winning two weeks in a row. Coincidence?

... only if the driver had a heart condition

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/14/12 10:37 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: If you buy his ready made chili mix in the bag it tells you on the package that good cuts of meat will screw it up. Gotta love that.

It really is probably the best premade chili mix on the market. I've since started doctoring my own- but I cut my chili cookin' skills out of that package.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nQZe8efIqIM0eqzQWEDk9GmfZAo43ahaaRX9vKGhoTH2RZeKY5pZ5ATovWBAAzh5