David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/29/12 9:57 p.m.

Anyone else going to be at the Roar Before the Rolex next weekend? It's a great way to see the Rolex cars and teams up close--no crowds yet a ton of cars.

Rolex entry list: http://www.grand-am.com/scheduleResults/entrylist/1/EntryListDetail.aspx?eid=3497&sid=1

Continental Tire Challenge entry list: http://www.grand-am.com/scheduleResults/entrylist/2/EntryListDetail.aspx?eid=3498&sid=2

Event info: http://www.grand-am.com/events.aspx?eid=3497&sid=1

And if you are going, come join us: https://www.facebook.com/events/416742718379845/

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
12/30/12 9:48 a.m.

The Ferrari Challenge is also coming to the Roar F challenge

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
12/30/12 2:43 p.m.

see you there . we are setting up down by the kink

David S. Wallens
12/30/12 3:00 p.m.

Cool. You doing the garage with us?

BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
12/30/12 3:06 p.m.

no roar.. but cant wait till the big show. sons first trip to the rolex. and we have the grm tix.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
12/30/12 4:50 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Cool. You doing the garage with us?

good ??? not sure if we can leave our stuff alone. Unless someone in the party volunteers to stay behind

Irish1
Irish1 New Reader
12/30/12 8:29 p.m.

Thanks for the entry list. I don't see any mention of the Bimmerworld team??

David S. Wallens
12/30/12 11:38 p.m.
Irish1 wrote: Thanks for the entry list. I don't see any mention of the Bimmerworld team??

I just realized that I only posted a link to the Rolex entry list. I edited my post and added a link to the Continental Tire entries. That's where you'll find Bimmerworld.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/31/12 8:57 a.m.

Very interesting line up. Guess the musical chairs game was in full swing over the off season.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/31/12 12:20 p.m.

Watch out for Starworks this year. Close battle last year, and arguably the best driver lineup.

I don't think I'm making it this year... :(

Karl La Follette
1/1/13 10:09 a.m.

Marie said "Bring the Supra " My ride for the roar and the beaches of daytona

David S. Wallens
1/1/13 10:46 a.m.

Cool on the Supra. You know, I'm not sure what I'm bringing--probably the Porsche, now that I think about it. That's a good Daytona car, right?

Karl La Follette
1/1/13 11:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Cool on the Supra. You know, I'm not sure what I'm bringing--probably the Porsche, now that I think about it. That's a good Daytona car, right?

are we negotiating ride swap test drive awesome ! Porsche good Daytona

David S. Wallens
1/2/13 1:03 p.m.

And a Roar Before the Rolex primer from Steven Cole Smith and Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130102/GRAND_AM/130109995

We'll be there for the big news on Friday.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
1/2/13 5:20 p.m.

I hope we end up having only 1 or 2 classes . Whatever they end up being. Really surprised at the low number of gt cars.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/2/13 6:54 p.m.

I just received an e-mail from DIS (since I was a holder of a ticket to the Rolex ) with the offer of a one day free ticket to the Roar .... just show up with the e-mail ( printed out .. I guess) at turns 1 or 4 entrance to gain admittance ...

I can't make it ... not sure if they are checking ID's it make sure who's using the free ticket ... if anyones interested in trying it, PM me an address .. I'll print it and send it

David S. Wallens
1/5/13 10:36 p.m.

And today's update:

Team Sahlen Paces Second Day of Roar Before The Rolex 24

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Roar Before The Rolex 24, the annual three-day testing session in advance of the 51st anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 26-27, continued on Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. More than 100 cars from GRAND-AM’s Rolex Sports Car Series and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge teams turned laps on the 3.56-mile road course.

While Dane Cameron put the No. 42 Team Sahlen BMW Riley on top of the speed charts Saturday morning with a lap of 125.523 mph, Michael Shank Racing swept the second and third spots with the No. 6 and No. 60 Ford Rileys, respectively. Chip Ganassi Racing rounded out the top five with the No. 01 and No. 02 BMW Rileys.

Dario Franchitti, who will wheel the No. 02 entry with Scott Pruett, Jamie McMurray, Joey Hand and Scott Dixon, is pleased with the team’s progress but knows everybody is not showing all their speed yet. “I think there’s a bit of sandbagging going on to be honest. Who knows?,” Franchitti said. “We’re quite happy with our pace and balance but I don’t think everybody has showed their hand.”

In the GT class, the No. 73 Park Place Motorsports Porsche was fastest with Patrick Long, who posted a speed of 118.045 mph and a lap time of 1:48.569.

In the newly formed GX class, Shane Lewis in the No. 16 Napleton Racing Porsche Cayman was fastest with a lap of 110.324 mph. Johnson announcement: Brian Johnson, frontman for Australian rock band AC/DC, made his first Rolex 24 start in 2012 and finished a respectable 12th in the Daytona Prototype class. On Saturday morning in the media center, Johnson announced that he will attend the 2013 Rolex 24 supporting the No. 50 Highway to Help BMW Riley entry, which will be raising funds for the Alzheimer’s Foundation.

While he will not be in the driver’s seat this year, he is still passionate about the team’s potential with drivers Carlos de Quesada, Jim Pace, Byron Defoor and Frank Beck.

“I’m excited to be here but I’m a little sad that I can’t get in the car,” Johnson said. “Next year, I’m going to come back and frighten the hell out of everybody again.”

Johnson, an avid racer of vintage sports cars, reflected on last year’s start in the prestigious twice-around-the-clock challenge. “I’ve never had so much with my clothes on,” Johnson quipped. “It was fantastic. It was the best 24 hours of my life.”

Johnson, who says he will be with the team “every step of the way,” expressed how great it feels to work with charities and be part of a positive movement.

“It’s a good, warm feeling,” Johnson said. “You’ve got to try.”

DIS becoming McMurray’s second home: Daytona International Speedway is turning into a second home for Jamie McMurray. The Chip Ganassi Racing driver participated once again in the annual Daytona KartWeek in late December and is back at the “World Center of Racing” this weekend preparing for his fifth career Rolex 24 start.

He’ll return next week for Preseason Thunder testing with his No. 1 machine in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Later this month, he’ll compete in the 51st anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona and then Budweiser Speedweeks and the season-opening 55th annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 24.

“I checked out of my hotel room on Monday and back in the same room on Thursday and then we’re coming back next week,” McMurray said. “I’ve definitely been down here a lot. I really enjoy coming down here. If you could pick a track to spend a lot of time at, Daytona is a really special place whether it’s karting, sports cars or NASCAR.”

Roar Before The Rolex 24 continues: The Roar Before The Rolex 24 will continue on Sunday. Sprint FANZONE activities on Sunday include photographs in Gatorade Victory Lane with the Rolex 24 trophy and inspection viewing. Speedway tours will also operate from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. For a complete schedule, visit http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2013/Roar-Before-The-Rolex-24/Event-Info.aspx. Roar Before The Rolex 24 tickets are $15 per day and 12 and under are free with a paid adult. 2013 Rolex 24 ticket holders receive FREE admission to the Roar Before The Rolex 24.

In addition, a section of the Oldfield Grandstands will be open free to the public with access available through the lobby of the Daytona International Speedway ticket office.

The Rolex 24 At Daytona, the kick-off event to Budweiser Speedweeks 2013, showcases the world’s best drivers competing against each other lap after lap for 24 hours on Daytona International Speedway’s challenging and demanding 3.56-mile road course. Two-day tickets for the Rolex 24 At Daytona start at $35 and are available online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.

Fans can follow sports cars on Twitter at GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series (@RolexSeries) and the Sunoco Rolex 24 At Daytona Challenge (@SUNOCO_UK). Fans can also stay connected with Daytona International Speedway on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest for all the latest news all season long.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/13 8:39 a.m.

@ David

Great Read. Getting down there and meeting all of you at GRM and seeing the 24 is on my bucket list. I am waiting until my son is a bit older (he is 7 at the moment). Your ability to convey the moment AND the feeling of the event is fantastic. Makes me want to be there in person even more.

I also took away from this that once again Mr Johnson really is a great Guy both on and off the track. Motor racing is lucky to have him.

Please keep the "articles" coming. I am betting that there are more than a few of us that are living vicariously through your writing.

Thanks!!!!!

David S. Wallens
1/6/13 11:23 a.m.

Thanks. Although I should note that was a Grand-Am press release I posted above.

One of the the cool things about the Roar is just the access to everything. I was talking with Guy Cosmo when a family approached. Guy, go be famous, I said, and he then spent several minutes chatting with the kids, posing for a group photo, etc.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
1/6/13 5:13 p.m.

Thats why I love road racing. The whole scene is so approachable. Heres a link to my flick acct with photos for the folks that couldnt come.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78565920@N08/sets/72157632448055100/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bGC8LWkifYyrIuatXBmweOWqp77QIINuaS7JjTqHPLL1XlOQLuODSCqCqp1YYTLV