irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/24 4:50 p.m.

I'll preface this by saying I probably have 200 RA magnets on my garage cabinets. I order a lot of stuff from them, and have for decades, and sggest them to a lot of non-car friends as a place to get parts. In general they've been pretty reasonable with regard to my VERY occasional part returns (but not always). In this case I ordered a set of balljoints for the Raider a month ago. I got the greasible "Mevotech Supreme" ones that are mid-priced. Upon installation, I found that they have some slop in them when pressed into the control arm (e.g. with the circlip installed, they're able to move a few mm up and down. Since they've been installed, didn't even bother with a return request since I know how that would have gone. 

Then I ordered another set, the most expensive ones listed, made by ACDelco. The multiple photos on the listing showed them to be a greasible design with a castle nut (which I prefer for offroad applications to the nyloc nuts on some cheaper ones)

Anyhow, they arrived - correct part number, ACdelco box......but they have neither a castle nut nor a zerk fititng - literally the two specific reasons I ordered this particular brand/item. Not what I expected to get, so set up a return and RA wants me to play the return shippping. Sent them an email and basically got back "hey, it's not our fault, a non-serviceable balljoint with a nyloc nut is equivalent to a serviceable one with a castle nut, so sorry, you got what you ordered." 7 bucks for return shipping is not an issue financially, but paying shipping a second time (and the inconvenience of return shipping it) is annoying on principle. It would be like ordering some poly bushings and they send rubber ones and say 'well, they're equivalent, too bad..."

Oh, the listing in text also states they are greasible and has a castle nut....

Not that anyone here can do anything about it, but just venting on this minor annoyance - am I being unreasonable over 7 bucks return shipping?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/24 5:06 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

In this thread, read about the rear brake job I did on my F250 and parts shopped my local Parts Authority Store (PA) and Rock Auto (RA).
It seems that PA and RA are the same company.

Is there a PA near you?  Locations

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
4/11/24 5:23 p.m.

They advertised the product as having specific attributes. They sent a different product - one you did not order. That is fraud.

What does ACDelco's website say as part description? 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/24 5:30 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

There is one in my general area, it seems. Though their business hours are basically during the normal workday, so not very convenient. And the gas to get there probably costs more than shipping lol...

But, good to know, regardless. I wonder if they take RA returns 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/24 6:35 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I could not just pick up my RA order that I suspect was in their back room so I do not expect that they accept RA returns.  

Inside the PA locations there is absolutely no reference to RA or any references to co ownership. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/11/24 6:55 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

They advertised the product as having specific attributes. They sent a different product - one you did not order. That is fraud.

What does ACDelco's website say as part description?

that^^

last year I bought a brake hose that had the right number on the box but the part was different, looked like someone switched it.

I was going to return it just so that their time was wasted as well, but Rockauto told me to keep the part and refunded me.

spandak
spandak Dork
4/11/24 7:02 p.m.

I ordered a belt that was listed for my application. Took me some time to get to it. Not even CLOSE. Way too long. This engine comes in one configuration, it's not like I don't have AC and the next one does. 

They wouldn't take it back without return shipping because I was past the return window. And the part is still listed on their site. I was pissed

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/24 7:11 p.m.

I've learned the hard way that they have the specs completely wrong sometimes (Edit: Or in my case, list the correct specs on the part but then list the part for a car not compatible with that spec!). Once with a pulley with the wrong bearing ID, another time with brakes with the wrong bolt pattern:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/worst-rockauto-screwup-of-all-time-wrong-spec-and-they-wont-admit-fault/260548/page1/

So it's best to confirm the specs of a part number elsewhere.

I have some Mevotech Supremes on the front of the Toyobaru and I've been happy with them so far.

mad_science
mad_science New Reader
4/11/24 9:36 p.m.

I've transitioned to using their online catalog as a reference, as they have more info and years/compatibility info. Then I just get stuff from the local O'Reilly and Autozone. They can typically get stuff next day, and if it's wrong or I end up not needing it returns are super easy. Apparently I've been spoiled by eBay/Amazon/Summit as paying $25 for 1 week shipping seems outrageous these days.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/11/24 10:04 p.m.

I've learned yo do my homework. 1 thing interesting is that, if you can locate the manufacturer and part number,  even if it isn't shown available on a make/model search, ypu can use the generic search. 

It is important to note that they don't always have the best prices (I've seen them charge twice the amount others do) and the gymnastics of putting together a parts order with a minimum number of shippers gets tiresome, sometimes 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OBXff8h2VDpoTH1KkNndaweFWThMcsC31KSKqwFCAaRT7raeL4DUYbR8dRarKOrm