1 2
JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/26/15 4:42 p.m.

Trying to find reviews that dont read "They break dont buy them" as it seems most people think. Any word on how they hold up to dd/autocross duty?

impulsive
impulsive Reader
6/26/15 5:11 p.m.

I've had a set of 15x7 Slipstreams in dd use for about a decade now, no problems.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
6/26/15 5:25 p.m.

I wish they made the RKR 15x8 in et25....

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/26/15 6:33 p.m.

The "they break" stuff is bullE36 M3. Most of those are based on about 3 internet memes of Rotas that were destroyed on the track or during violent accidents. Most of the people who talk about them breaking are just wheel snobs who think your wheels suck if they're not mad tyte forged $500 each 3-piece with a polished deep dish barrel and some stretched tires. Or they're bent that a $150 Rota looks exactly like their $500 Volk so people don't give them their "props..." Whatever.

I've had 4 or 5 sets of various Rotas over the years, never had a problem, never bent or broken any of them. The ones currently on my WRX have 120k miles on some of the crappiest roads on the East Coast (DC) with no issue, and I'm not one to slow down for bumps or potholes. I abuse the hell out of them and they've held up fine. (btw, I've also have Volks, 5Zigens, Prodrives, Enkeis, and a few others. None were any better or worse than the Rotas, IMO).

Go to any track and you'll find a ton of rotas on cars.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/26/15 6:38 p.m.

My 17x9 DPTs took a curb strike at 30mph. No problem there. I'd buy again.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
6/26/15 6:43 p.m.
irish44j wrote: The "they break" stuff is bullE36 M3. Most of those are based on about 3 internet memes of Rotas that were destroyed on the track or during violent accidents. Most of the people who talk about them breaking are just wheel snobs who think your wheels suck if they're not mad tyte forged $500 each 3-piece with a polished deep dish barrel and some stretched tires. Or they're bent that a $150 Rota looks exactly like their $500 Volk so people don't give them their "props..." Whatever. I've had 4 or 5 sets of various Rotas over the years, never had a problem, never bent or broken any of them. The ones currently on my WRX have 120k miles on some of the crappiest roads on the East Coast (DC) with no issue, and I'm not one to slow down for bumps or potholes. I abuse the hell out of them and they've held up fine. (btw, I've also have Volks, 5Zigens, Prodrives, Enkeis, and a few others. None were any better or worse than the Rotas, IMO). Go to any track and you'll find a ton of rotas on cars.

I just feel like you're holding back. Give us the truth for God's sake. It'll be easier on your stomach lining...

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
6/26/15 7:06 p.m.

I had a set of Rota Rewinds on my '05 MINI that held up to a lot of abuse. No track time, but tens of autocrosses and daily driving around the DC area. Even after some hard pothole strikes, I never had a problem. Sure, they may bend or break before a forged wheel. But they are really good cheap wheels.

I'm looking for some 16x7 wheels for an autocross TR6. There are Panasports that cost $1300 a set, and (if they're still available) Rota RBs for $600. I believe Panasports are better, but are they twice as good? I'm considering buying two sets of the Rotas in case they go out of production.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/26/15 7:20 p.m.

I had Rotas on the Rolla. They were fine. Put about 75K hard miles or so on them.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/26/15 7:26 p.m.

Awesome! Looks like my Z and my dads miata will be getting new wheels soon.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/27/15 9:52 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
irish44j wrote: The "they break" stuff is bullE36 M3. Most of those are based on about 3 internet memes of Rotas that were destroyed on the track or during violent accidents. Most of the people who talk about them breaking are just wheel snobs who think your wheels suck if they're not mad tyte forged $500 each 3-piece with a polished deep dish barrel and some stretched tires. Or they're bent that a $150 Rota looks exactly like their $500 Volk so people don't give them their "props..." Whatever. I've had 4 or 5 sets of various Rotas over the years, never had a problem, never bent or broken any of them. The ones currently on my WRX have 120k miles on some of the crappiest roads on the East Coast (DC) with no issue, and I'm not one to slow down for bumps or potholes. I abuse the hell out of them and they've held up fine. (btw, I've also have Volks, 5Zigens, Prodrives, Enkeis, and a few others. None were any better or worse than the Rotas, IMO). Go to any track and you'll find a ton of rotas on cars.
I just feel like you're holding back. Give us the truth for God's sake. It'll be easier on your stomach lining...

lol....I just have a long-running hate of "haters" like that since years ago some guy at a gas station (looking at my almost-new 09 WRX parked across from his SSR-shod Integra) told me all about how he couldn't believe I "bought a performance car and then put garbage knockoff wheels on it," and how I should just be driving a Camry.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
6/27/15 10:10 a.m.

I had some 13x8 Rota RB's on a DD Golf that I autocrossed a few times over a couple years. No issues.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
6/27/15 11:17 a.m.

I've had a set of 16x7 Slipstreams on my car since 2007. Daily driving, hpde, autocross and mountain drives and nary an issue. One has two slight dents in the lip from craptastic Tucson potholes but its still fine. I inspect for cracks and such regularly and no problems.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/27/15 12:01 p.m.

I have seen more cracked HRE wheels then ROTAS at this point in my life. Not like you are going to run them open track days with slicks on a super heavy car.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
6/27/15 12:19 p.m.

My Rotas are a used set. Previous owner won STS nationals on them and I now have Hoosiers wrapped around them.

No problem whatever.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/27/15 12:36 p.m.

I had Rotas on my Miata and they survived a hit to a front porch swing that was dropped in the middle of the road made out of 1" square tubing and 1/4" slats at 80 mph.

No bend or anything. I had to pick wood out of the bead as well.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/27/15 1:57 p.m.

One more here. I have had multiple sets of Rotas on multiple cars with multiple AutoXes.....................all good, no problems. I love Rotas.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/15 7:51 p.m.

We have a set at FM. They're heavy, but in their limited use they've shown no problems. Due to the weight, they're not a wheel I'd choose unless they came in an unusual style or size, which is exactly why we bought them last time.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
6/27/15 8:22 p.m.

15 x 8" Rota RB's with various 225 DOT R compounds on a tracked turbo Miata here - Still good, no cracks. Which is more than I can say for '99 OEM's that came on the car.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
6/27/15 9:27 p.m.

What is a good site for fitment and buying Rotas?

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/15 11:47 p.m.

I test fitted a 13x8 Rota RB on the front of my Mazda2, didn't break in the 2 minutes it was bolted on.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/28/15 12:01 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: What is a good site for fitment and buying Rotas?

Www.wheeldude.com

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
6/28/15 9:43 a.m.

I had a set of 17x8 Rota Torques on my old daily driver 2009 WRX for basically the entire time I owned it. If they could stand up to the abuse of driving through pothole-pocked MA roads in all seasons, they can stand up to anything. I had zero issues with them.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/28/15 9:50 a.m.

My own personal experience with them isn't too bad. They are soft though. I had some tire monkeys at walmart put some big dings in them with tire spoons. HOWEVER, I was having them mount Hankook R comps which had insanely stiff side walls.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/15 9:52 a.m.

I had a set on an Impreza but they exploded and I died. Now I am a ghost that roams the interwebs warnings others to avoid my fate.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/28/15 10:35 a.m.
logdog wrote: I had a set on an Impreza but they exploded and I died. Now I am a ghost that roams the interwebs warnings others to avoid my fate.

^^you win teh interwebz for today.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKqNawctkelKD2YIuhwcBYqRPMUzeYdQR2J171gduMlDN6zPLD6bBNRmCeI0uiSF