1 2
sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
6/28/15 1:38 p.m.

I know this won't be a popular perspective but.....berkley any company that makes their living knocking off other people's hard work and cheapening everything they worked hard to create. Berley rota, berkley xxr, berkley all those brands. And berley the people who support them. When I was younger my family company designed and brought to market a product that was a Huge success, and quickly some e36m3bags in china knocked off our product and put us out of business. I've seen the damage these shiny happy people can do to good creative people and have zero respect for anyone who can't create their own products with original design ideas or anyone who buys this garbage.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/28/15 7:09 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: I know this won't be a popular perspective but.....berkley any company that makes their living knocking off other people's hard work and cheapening everything they worked hard to create. Berley rota, berkley xxr, berkley all those brands. And berley the people who support them. When I was younger my family company designed and brought to market a product that was a Huge success, and quickly some e36m3bags in china knocked off our product and put us out of business. I've seen the damage these shiny happy people can do to good creative people and have zero respect for anyone who can't create their own products with original design ideas or anyone who buys this garbage.

I'm sure it's a very popular perspective on a lot of forums (in fact, I know it is as a former moderator of the wheel/tire section of a Nissan forum). Wheel afficianados always say exactly what you just said. And I see what you're saying, but have never thought it was a very valid argument. First of all, because Rotas are not "the same" as anything. If they were, they would get sued left and right for patent infringement and wouldn't be able to sell in places like the US, which have fairly strong copyright/patent laws. They may look similar to other wheels, but there are enough changes that they can always be distinguished by anyone who knows wheels. Plus they're cast, not forged like many wheels they "copy". SSR or Volk didn't invent wheels with concave spokes, or 7 spokes, or 5 spokes, or polished lips, etc etc.....all wheel designs are derivative of something else, with changes. Don't fool yourself that the guys in the Volk design house are creating totally original designs that nobody else has ever or possibly could think of.....I mean, are they paying royalties to cave men or carriage-makers who invented the ROUND wheel? lol...

As to the stealing sales part.....well....

I have Rota SDRs 17x7 1/2 about 16lbs. They look similar (but not identical) to the Prodrive P7 (which are 17x7 and about 20lbs.). My Rotas were $150 each new. Prodrive P7s (which aren't even forged, I don't think), run $300-400 each (if you can even get them anymore, which I'm not sure of).

I wasn't gonna buy the Prodrives regardless. Too heavy, too narrow, too expensive. Me buying Rotas took NO money out of Prodrive's pockets. Not one cent.

Likewise, the guys buying the Rotas that look like $500 SSRs or $500 Volks......they're not gonna buy the real things anyhow. If the Rotas aren't available, they'll (I'll) just buy some other inexpensive brand (Enkei, Kosei, etc). Chumpcar guys aren't gonna take $500 wheels to the track to get bashed up....

The real people who are really getting butthurt here are the car-show-queens who have real Volks so they can show off how cool they are in the parking lot. And then some guy drives by with some Rotas that look the same and everyone thinks that guy is cool too (but wait, he's not! He has fake Volks!!!! OMG!). THat's who gets upset.

If the "big" high-end wheel companies were getting financially hurt by Rota, I'm pretty sure they'd be taking legal action constantly and Rotas wouldn't be widely available in the USA.

I personally say berkeley those companies that sell overpriced wheels. Clearly they can be made for less (see: Rota), but they want to seem exclusive and charge top dollar, and won't make affordable cast wheels. So I'll buy Rotas. If Volk or BBS or SSR make some $150 cast 17x8s....I'll go buy those instead (but they won't ever do that....)

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/28/15 8:10 p.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Trying to find reviews that dont read "They break dont buy them" as it seems most people think. Any word on how they hold up to dd/autocross duty?

I've been using Rota Slipstreams for ~ 12 yrs of autocross, zero problems (other than keeping the white ones brake dust free

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/28/15 8:11 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: I know this won't be a popular perspective but.....berkley any company that makes their living knocking off other people's hard work and cheapening everything they worked hard to create. Berley rota, berkley xxr, berkley all those brands. And berley the people who support them. When I was younger my family company designed and brought to market a product that was a Huge success, and quickly some e36m3bags in china knocked off our product and put us out of business. I've seen the damage these shiny happy people can do to good creative people and have zero respect for anyone who can't create their own products with original design ideas or anyone who buys this garbage.

understood … the flip side of that is if I had to use the "real" product I wouldn't be autocrossing …. one yrs budget for a set of rims … which means sit out that yr … not going to happen …

that's why we have WallMart

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/28/15 9:56 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: My own personal experience with them isn't too bad. They are soft though. I had some tire monkeys at walmart put some big dings in them with tire spoons. HOWEVER, I was having them mount Hankook R comps which had insanely stiff side walls.

I think the problem was the monkeys at Walmart on this one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/15 12:23 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
neon4891 wrote: What is a good site for fitment and buying Rotas?
Www.wheeldude.com

18racing.com has them as well.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/29/15 12:40 a.m.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Glad to see they don't suck because they fit my budget and look like I want them too.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/29/15 11:22 a.m.

Yeah. I agree as well. If these rim manufacturers had any common sense, they would have started undercutting their competitors BEFORE a company like rota showed up. They got greedy and therefore lose out. Why would I buy one new Mercedes when I can purchase three brand new Honda fits? Lol.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tXHD92jFkfrA4IqsRB9y2DwLVbwgS3aAH93p0vabdbkY0IzgK6Qzd9EtoEqJbHip