1 2 3
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/24 6:46 p.m.

Okay, so after you all talked me out of a 911 or Boxster, I am looking to replace my NA Miata with something fun that is a little more practical. Tired of running down to the airport with my large luggage next to me as the passenger. Looking to spend 10K, I work from home, so this a car for me to run to the airport for work, down to DC occasionally and my run to the store car. Needs to be able to store a large suitcase in the trunk or back seat, but other than that, really could be anything fun. Preferences are a manual transmission  and at least from the mid-2000's year wise but I'll give up the manual if it get's me something fun. Gas mileage not a big deal and I have plenty of fun two seaters already, so this will be something a little more practical.

Couple of cars I am considering:

VW GTI and VW R32

BMW 1 Series

Jaguar S-Type R

Mini Cooper S (might be a tad too small)

WRX or ??

Leaning towards GTI or 1 Series if I can find a good one, what do you all think?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/24 6:53 p.m.

E46 or E92 328i/330i?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/24 7:02 p.m.

C5 Corvette? 

How big a trunk do you need? Would a Z4 work? I know you said you have "plenty of fun two seaters already," but. . . y'know. 

If not C5 or Z4, a 3-series is probably the sensible way to go.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
1/5/24 7:02 p.m.

8th Gen Civic Si

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/5/24 7:03 p.m.

frs

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/24 7:24 p.m.
NOHOME said:

frs

Came here to ask why no Toyobaru. And don't say because the engines blow up, because you already listed WRX as an option cheeky

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
1/5/24 8:03 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
NOHOME said:

frs

Came here to ask why no Toyobaru. And don't say because the engines blow up, because you already listed WRX as an option cheeky

Basically everything mentioned so far is going to be a reliability risk, at least at the $10k price point.

I'm not one to recommend miatas but if you're really sticking to your budget I'd say the nicest/newest Miata you can get and deal with the limited interior space. Other then that you really need to open up the budget or increase your risk tolerance.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
1/5/24 8:36 p.m.

128i 

You're welcome 

LukeGT
LukeGT GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/24 9:50 p.m.

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say, S197 V6 Mustang manual. I've owned 4 Coyote Mustangs along with one 2012 V6 6spd manual Mustang, the V6 was truly excellent and I rarely missed my 5.0 when driving it. I've seen several nice examples on FB marketplace recently, would opt for a "V6 Premium" 13-14 model so you get Sync with Bluetooth and nicer overall interior. But with a 305hp aluminum V6, Limited slip out back, huge trunk, semi-usable back seat, oh and did I mention the 4 Piston Brembos bolt right with no modifications? They're really a great value, super easy to work on too and parts are plentiful. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/5/24 10:18 p.m.

Forgot about the FRS, looks like there are a few in my price range too. As far as the mustang, I drove a V6 Camaro rental car a few years back and it was very entertaining, but the visibility in a Camaro turned me off to them, but I do like the Mustang styling so I'll take a look. Definitely on the lookout for a 1 series,  but has to be manual.

LukeGT
LukeGT GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/24 10:35 p.m.

Visibility in the Mustang is faaarrr superior to the Camaro (among other things, like the V6 doesn't self destruct at 100k miles lol). Really, though,they're worth a look. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/6/24 10:26 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

128i 

You're welcome 

There is a decent 2008 128i convertible with a 6 speed manual  local to me with 73K miles and is priced around 10K. I'll probably go look at it once the weather passes. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/24 10:49 a.m.

Not sure which generation of Mini Cooper S you're considering. I had an 06 R53 as a daily a few years ago that I both made airport runs in and traveled for work in. If you're traveling in what I would consider typical consulting fashion (carry-on only), it'll be fine, if you're traveling with suitcases you're getting closer to having to fold down the rear seat.

IIRC the newer ones are bigger, but I have no experience with them.

Also, tell us a bit more about that NA...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/6/24 11:13 a.m.

Any r32 for $10k is going to bury you in maintenance costs

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/6/24 11:42 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I had a 2004 Mini Cooper S, was a blast, and for me, it can always have the back seat folded down. Mine had the 6 speed die at 95K miles, so little leary of them from a higher mileage standpoint, but it sure was fun to drive!

My NA is on FB, basically a rust free 1991 with a matching hardtop. Bad news is it is an automatic, but I have a 5 speed and clutch and brake assembly for it, as I had planned to swap it if I kept the car. 7 years later, still have not done it, so time to sell.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3858038367756630?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A19b45dd0-1c96-4bab-973c-301b09bd9eb8

Listed at 6K on FB, would sell for 5K to a GRMer

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/6/24 11:55 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yeah, they are a risk at this price point. High mileage and sketchy maintenance records. This one seems like a great deal, but it needs a BCM as only one headlight works (guy has replaced the headlight clusters, balasts and ignitors and bulbs with no luck), so pretty sure it is the control module. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/824918069423027/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aec936208-a973-4bb7-bfba-52dd0a28cb59

chandler
chandler MegaDork
1/6/24 1:00 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

128i 

You're welcome 

There is a decent 2008 128i convertible with a 6 speed manual  local to me with 73K miles and is priced around 10K. I'll probably go look at it once the weather passes. 

Try to find the sport seats and suspension. They make a really good daily.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/6/24 1:11 p.m.

C5 Corvette, 350z, G35, BRZ/FRS, coyote powered Mustang would be my shortlist. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/24 1:17 p.m.

My modded Golf Mk6 R is almost as fun as my 987.1 Cayman S.

Faster too.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/6/24 1:58 p.m.
chandler said:

128i 

You're welcome 

Try to find the sport seats and suspension. They make a really good daily.

Definitely wait for one with the sport seats - they are totally worth it. The suspension, on the other hand, will be worn out at this point if it's original; fortunately, it's easily refreshed with whatever level of performance you might desire. I really like my Koni/Eibach/1M/M3 control arms/poly rear subframe bushing insert setup.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/6/24 2:02 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Looking at the seats, hard to tell from the BMW listing, do they call them sport seats, they are heated and have power lumbar but is there a special sport package? At this price, I can always do the suspension later to my liking.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Those are sport seats. One way to tell is the adjustable knee bolsters.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/6/24 2:34 p.m.

Forgot about the FRS, looks like there are a few in my price range too. As far as the mustang, I drove a V6 Camaro rental car a few years back and it was very entertaining, but the visibility in a Camaro turned me off to them, but I do like the Mustang styling so I'll take a look. Definitely on the lookout for a 1 series,  but has to be manual.

When I bought my FRS way back in 2012, I first tried renting a V6 Mustang to see what I thought of the chassis and the drop-top. The engine power was not the low point, quite the opposite. The chassis felt large and cumbersome to someone who had a previous Miata as an automotive high-note.

The FRS is just a bit bigger Miata with room for two in the back if absolutely need be.  Plenty of room for lugggage and even more with the seat folded down.  The only thing I will never learn to love is the stupid Subaru engine. If they had put a real engine in the FRS I would have a new one in the driveway.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/6/24 2:48 p.m.

I was thinking that the FRS would work great with the seat down as I never need to haul 4 people for this car, but can have trade show booth stuff going to the airport. Just need more room than an NA Miata or other small sports car. But also agree that the Subaru engine is not exactly the perfect engine verse some of the other options. Agree that the Mustang would be fast, but I am used to small sports cars, like my old NC, the NA and my classic Triumph stuff.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/6/24 4:59 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Looking at the seats, hard to tell from the BMW listing, do they call them sport seats, they are heated and have power lumbar but is there a special sport package? At this price, I can always do the suspension later to my liking.

Given that the rear seats are a different color, as is the door trim, I'm guessing the owner swapped in those sport seats.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JNNwlgDldxBvfush1sbu0Sl63uQor6avAkBPCOYMDgIYP2HbZLDuSRbQcCBMagWE