1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
11/19/12 2:58 p.m.

In reply to andrave:

Does a DOHC V-motor fit in the engine bay of an FC? Seems like it'd be too wide, at least too wide to work on once it was in there.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/19/12 3:03 p.m.

I've never been intimately acquianted with the underhood confines of the RX-7's so I am not sure... I know that I've seen LS1 and even LT1's in there, so I assumed the V blocks fit. I don't know what modifications were performed to fit the v blocks. The VG is actually a pretty narrow engine. I believe the vq is a bit wider. The LS series engines are relatively narrow for a V8.
Now, whether you would have room for the "small budget turbo" under the hood with any of these swaps, well... I guess if there is a will, there's a way...

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
11/19/12 3:21 p.m.

13B Renesis?

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
11/19/12 3:22 p.m.

Car-Part has the manual version for $1500+.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/19/12 3:50 p.m.

You can fit anything in there if you have enough money.

old_
old_ New Reader
11/19/12 7:36 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to andrave: Does a DOHC V-motor fit in the engine bay of an FC? Seems like it'd be too wide, at least too wide to work on once it was in there.

yes, the fc has a pretty wide engine bay. The Toyota 1uz has been done. I don't think the project was completed but the engine was in and it did fit. I believe the brake booster was a problem so a GM hydroboost was used.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
11/19/12 10:57 p.m.

I'd go for an Ecotec swap before I'd want a V8. The LNF will give more power with less weight than the V8 and takes up less space under the bonnet.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/19/12 11:27 p.m.

Make mine a GM 4.8. Takes up the same space as 5.3, makes a bit less power, etc., still a great little mill and typically available for 1/3-1/2 your budget with harness.

old_
old_ New Reader
11/20/12 12:34 a.m.

if you are considering a LS based truck engine (4.8/5.3/6.0) you must realize that in order to put one in an FC you will need a ls1/ls6 intake manifold/rails/injectors, F-body oil pan, F-body or corvette water pump and accessories. You also need a wire harness and ECU plus will need to pay for a tune (or buy the software for about $500). Also keep in mind if you want a manual transmission the going rate for a working T-56 is $1500-2000 for the transmission alone. You will also need a clutch, flywheel, hydro throw out bearing, and master cylinder. Then of course you will need a fuel pump, filter, FPR, custom drive shaft, engine mounts, etc, etc.

The initial buy in for the truck engine is cheap but everything to convert it for car use and to make it run adds up really quick.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
11/20/12 7:00 p.m.

i know that's why i kinda do'nt even consider the ls engines, ...i had a ka24e turbo project to put in the car but i sold that ...only reason i consider the vg is the 87+ trans is unkillable .... i thought about piecing together an sr20 with a trans adapter for the vg....

simplecat
simplecat New Reader
11/21/12 5:49 a.m.

I also vote gen3 chebby, but with a low budget twist. 4.8 t5 combo, and instead of putting together all the efi stuff, get an ls style Vic Jr manifold, a distributor, and a decent carb. Should be awfully cheap, and car craft got 40ish HP over an ls1 intake I believe. All the usual cheap mods apply still, bbk 351 fox body swap headers deflanged and reflanged with gen 3 chev flanges and a used zo6 cam.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
11/21/12 11:18 a.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: ..only reason i consider the vg is the 87+ trans is unkillable ..

I thought Nissan used the T5 behind the VG... maybe I'm thinking of what was used behind the KAs?

old_
old_ New Reader
11/21/12 11:44 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
stealthfighter1 wrote: ..only reason i consider the vg is the 87+ trans is unkillable ..
I thought Nissan used the T5 behind the VG... maybe I'm thinking of what was used behind the KAs?

they did use the t-5 from 84-86 in the Z31 300z. from 87+ they changed to the FS5R30A that has been proven to be extremely strong. the internals of the FS5R30A were carried over to the Z32 TT as well.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
11/21/12 12:22 p.m.

Rb20det can be an option. Sure, their expensive to find parts for, but you could always just buy another for $1000.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/21/12 12:33 p.m.

Volvo 2.3 Turbo?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
11/21/12 12:47 p.m.

i built a wiring hharness for an 87(?) with a small block cchevy stroked to 383 and a t5 behind it. thing was stupid fast. and the motor/trans looked like it fit very well.

cant get much cheaper/reliable/easier than a small block chevy, as much as i hate to admit that.

hell, i think if it were me, id do a vortec motor straight outof a truck, backed with a five speed. keep the accessories and EFI, and jsut run it. gobs of torque.....

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/21/12 1:10 p.m.

Was the T5 pretty robust in that application?

A Z32 TT swap would. be. awesome.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
11/21/12 1:15 p.m.

i believe so. he left my shop sideways. he never lifted intil it was out of earshot, flat shifting it like a bastard. according to him, he drifted it, dragged, and autocrssed it. with that drivetrain. you could tell the T5 hhad been in there quite a while by the dirt/etc built up.

old_
old_ New Reader
11/21/12 1:19 p.m.

another cheap swap would be a 2.3 turbo ford.... but the only manual option is a t-5

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/21/12 5:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: i believe so. he left my shop sideways. he never lifted intil it was out of earshot, flat shifting it like a bastard. according to him, he drifted it, dragged, and autocrssed it. with that drivetrain. you could tell the T5 hhad been in there quite a while by the dirt/etc built up.

That's good to know. T56 prices have kept me from seriously contemplating a swap - internet lore is that a T5 will spontaneously explode if it's mounted to a Chevy small block.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/12 5:23 p.m.

This thread makes me want to start figuring out how to petition the SCCA to drop the silly "same-make" rule for Street Modified engine swaps.

I assume the original notion was to keep costs down by avoiding exotic swaps, but fundamentally it prevents building practical cars of the cheap competent chassis + cheap powerful engine = cheap fast car form...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/21/12 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

That engine belongs in my truck.

Also I like the way the coil is mounted by the wiper motor. neat idea!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
11/24/12 3:40 p.m.

asiest place to mount it and keep it cool at the same time.

rthing had holley heads, some sort of nasty cam, and AED carb (or quickfuel. cant remember) stroker crank, canton pan, etc. pretty sure it had an aluminum flywheel. as most strokers dont rev that quick.

i think the trans lived behind that due to lack of weight, rediculous gearing (4.99 or something like it), and no traction.

granted, ive broken every manual trans ive ever owned. including a muncie and an a-833. the t-5's get a bad rap due to having traction, higher gears, and more weight in the mustanggs. the one behind the 3.4 swap in my truck was a robust little bugger until the ice......

Coneman
Coneman New Reader
11/25/12 8:57 p.m.

My son and I swapped a 2.3 Ford from a Turbo Coupe into his '85 RX7. It has a Ford Racing camshaft, Holset turbo from a Cummins diesel, 3 inch exhaust, home ported head, intake, exhaust manafold. Alcohol Injection and big injectors. When its at 27lbs of boost it collapses the scenery very quickly

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
67beAGZzB9jeHcVgLubeg7y3d87LSTfOdvIpgm6BY3069LxLj7JCXiitL8OeMFt1