1 2 3 ... 6
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/28/08 7:46 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/28/subaru-rwd-coupe-will-be-sold-worldwide-toyota-version-only-in/

discuss

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/28/08 7:54 a.m.

Toybaru vs. Silvia vs. Genesis Coupe.

Good times a comin'! :grin:

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/28/08 9:50 a.m.

The report goes on to say that the coupe will be based off the Subaru Impreza (despite Toyota/Subaru's own press release saying that it's an "all-new" platform)

2,866 pounds

doh! it fattened up pretty quick. Sounds like it will get a sweet engine though

naturally aspirated, 2.0-liter boxer engine producing 220 hp at 6,500 rpm.

the negative nancy in me says that it will continue to baloon up to 3000 pounds and the 220 hp engine will only be available in the high end one starting at 25k.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 9:55 a.m.

Seems like that will screw up Subaru's "Beauty of All Wheel Drive" marketing campaign.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 10:00 a.m.

I bet it gets an AWD option sterting in year 3

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/08 10:15 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I bet it gets an AWD option sterting in year 3

Won't that put it in direct competition with the WRX?

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/28/08 10:20 a.m.

yes

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 11:53 a.m.

Mehhrrrrr....

I wanted another Celica. :(

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/28/08 12:25 p.m.

How can they not offer the Toyota version outside of Japan? Every drifter-fanboy on the internet has been hailing this as the second coming of the AE86. Are they stupid?

I know it'll be exactly the same car, but... fanboys! Those are your loyalest customers!

J

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/28/08 12:27 p.m.

I would be surprised if they can keep subies traditional engine entirely ahead of the front wheels design with that short front overhang. If they do set the engine back it will prevent using the standard subie 4wd transmission. Soooo, my guess is no 4wd without a restyle of the front end of the car.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/28/08 12:30 p.m.

well back when it was going to be a super light weight coupe it was being hailed as an ae86 succesor. Now that its picked up 900 pounds its being called an ITR replacement.

Tyler H
5/28/08 12:35 p.m.
Jay wrote: I know it'll be exactly the same car, but... fanboys! Those are your BROKEST customers! J

Fixed

Tyler H
5/28/08 12:36 p.m.
GlennS wrote: well back when it was going to be a super light weight coupe it was being hailed as an ae86 succesor. Now that its picked up 900 pounds its being called an ITR replacement.

By the time it gets to maket, it will be the tC replacement. :(

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/28/08 12:36 p.m.
GlennS wrote: naturally aspirated, 2.0-liter boxer engine producing 220hp at 6,500 rpm.

Very impressive output, especially @ such a low engine speed, however I'd prefer that to be boosted.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 2:20 p.m.

If Toyota seriously forces Subaru to sell a non-AWD vehicle I will hate them both forever. That is a STUPID idea.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 2:25 p.m.

They need to make this thing not look like a subaru and sell it under toyota badge if they're going to pull it off.

Nobody is going to want a RWD Subaru that sells as a Toyota in Japan. Toyota as a brand is viewed as more likely to do something like this, has done something like this, and Subaru is known for "The Beauty of AWD," not "OMG LOOK AT ME DORIFTU!!!"

I WAS excited about this car initially even though it had the boxer engine, but that was back when it was still looking like it was going to have a Toyota Concept body. I was just going to swap a 3sgte into it. :twisted:

Now... no thanks. Bad move Toyota.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/28/08 2:53 p.m.

Maybe they'll combine the good looks of a Subaru with the excitement and light weight of the tC.:whatthe:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/28/08 3:10 p.m.

On the plus side, it will likely get better gas mileage that most subarus.

cafcwest
cafcwest New Reader
5/28/08 3:50 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Maybe they'll combine the good looks of a Subaru with the excitement and light weight of the tC.:whatthe:

I had to read who posted this to make sure it was indeed sarcasm :grin:

SupraWes
SupraWes New Reader
5/28/08 3:55 p.m.

I like it!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
5/28/08 4:13 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Maybe they'll combine the good looks of a Subaru with the excitement and light weight of the tC.:whatthe:

I think this proves that tim trully belongs here.

Jeff

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/28/08 6:15 p.m.

I hope it gets a lukewarm reception as people decide they don't want to buy it because it's a non-AWD Subie, and weighs more than a compact FWD car.

That way they can sit on the lots and drive down prices for those of us who are just happy to have an affordable RWD coupe.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 6:25 p.m.

I love the fact that it is an affordable RWD coupe because the American new car market doesn't have enough of those type of offerings and hasn't had enough of them for years.

However, here is a short list of the main things about this concept which had me checking my bank account a few months ago:

-Toyota engineering/reliability/durability

-Toyota nameplate/QC/customer service

-Ultralightweight for a modern car

-Inline four cylinder naturally-aspirated

I will believe it when I see it on the dealer lots, but now that it is looking like an Impreza coupe with no front driveshafts, I can't say that I am very excited or that I would be interested in buying one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
5/28/08 7:29 p.m.

I think it's flat out awesome. As usual all the Toyota people will hate it because it's too (fill in the blank) and all the Subie people will hate it because it's not (fill in the blank) but frankly it's one of the most interesting cars to come along in a long time. There's a lot of potential in that platform!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 8:39 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: -Toyota engineering/reliability/durability -Toyota nameplate/QC/customer service -Ultralightweight for a modern car -Inline four cylinder naturally-aspirated I will believe it when I see it on the dealer lots, but now that it is looking like an Impreza coupe with no front driveshafts, I can't say that I am very excited or that I would be interested in buying one.

So the same engineering/reliability/durability that brought us Tundra camshaft failures, Tacoma frame rot, the largest recall of the year for the last 4 years running, and the EPA nightmare of Hybrid batteries and the toxic waste dump that is the Pious (on purpose) plant?

The same nameplate/QC/customer service that's been busted on by the BBB for high-pressure sales tactics, fraud to the elderly, and cheating in NASCAR?

The same ultralightweight as the 4,500Lb Challenger?

Stop with the fanboism, it's suffocating.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L105xUMqvcZp4i7mZOupnJXAiuoOc3UK7DwaDpmktIcxBjBNDT6OzkjUBg5yuusc