1 ... 3 4 5 6
PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/24/09 2:54 p.m.

Ha ha, how'd you guess?

I don't have a prejudice against anything really, but I know that nothing Toyota makes now, or for a while, excites me in the least bit. This looks good and exciting if they can tune the chassis for something performance minded.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/24/09 3:07 p.m.
PaulY wrote: Ha ha, how'd you guess? I don't have a prejudice against anything really, but I know that nothing Toyota makes now, or for a while, excites me in the least bit. This looks good and exciting if they can tune the chassis for something performance minded.

No it's cool... i share the same sentiments. Although i would rock a Scion tC or a Lexus IS-F.

Nothing else really tickles me in the good places other than the X-Runner.

mtn
mtn Dork
3/24/09 3:47 p.m.

It looks boring. I am amazed how Toyota can make anything ugly/boring.

If it performs, I'd like it.

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/24/09 5:28 p.m.

Scion tC looks allright but just doesn't seem to have any excitement or real bar setting performance to it. Same with the IS-F, it's alright in every way but I'd much rather have an M3 or an RS4.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/19/09 12:38 p.m.

Latest update:

More Toyobaru

Here is hoping.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/19/09 12:41 p.m.

looks good...

jcanracer
jcanracer New Reader
6/19/09 12:44 p.m.

do want

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/19/09 12:45 p.m.

Nothing more on what will make it to the states, last word being we would get the Subaru but not the Toyota.

Brust
Brust Reader
6/19/09 1:07 p.m.

I don't think Toyo makes a 2l 220 hp engine any more.... want to turn the 2zzge around and make it longitudinal, or go with a great proven engine from subaru? Sure the 3sge beams was made, but is it any more? We don't need another v6 and the weight that comes with it- Hyundai already makes one.

I think it's pretty cool, and would definitely consider one.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/19/09 1:19 p.m.
discuss

Overweight. Needs antilag turbo.

jcanracer
jcanracer New Reader
6/19/09 1:34 p.m.

I think a 2.0L 2ZZGE with direct injection would hit the mark. but it would still be sorely lacking in torque, something that would be welcome in this rwd coupe...otherwise it will always play second alongside the Hyundai Genesis.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
6/19/09 2:36 p.m.

Ugh.

I havent been not-dissapointed in a new car design in so long... it continues.

Its ugly, boring, too heavy and will have both the ricer, and 89%-of-em-are-auto but Torettos think theyre a supercar stigma in 2 mos.

I cant wait till stuff like this and the GT-R go the way of the NSX. Lots of noise about them, but in the eye of history, an also-ran.

snipes
snipes New Reader
6/19/09 3:40 p.m.

Get out with your bad attitude! They will never build 2500 lbs cars with no A/C again. Stop living in the past.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/19/09 5:55 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
discuss
Overweight. Needs antilag turbo.

Everything needs an anti lag turbo

Last I heard they were working on it for the openecu stuff but were reluctant on releasing it to the general public for liability concerns.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/19/09 5:56 p.m.

Hey bob, what's the beef with the NSX?

Brust
Brust Reader
6/19/09 6:59 p.m.

Seriously- everything is overweight now. A mini weighs what, 2600lb? If this car comes in at 2800lb in todays (non-exotic for your lotus lovers) it's a lightweight.

Also think of the engine swaps available once this badboy is out there. Go forester EJ25t and you've got a screamer of an RWD coupe. Or just take the turbo bits from any wrx and go low pressure for big hp. Oh, and now the locost guys will have a bolt on rwd transmission for the EJ series engines.

I dig it, and the fanboi detractors are actually convincing me this might be the way to go.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/19/09 7:35 p.m.

It really isn't that bad...

Does it serve our micro-niche.. Not 100% but we're cheap asses who don't buy new cars. Any car company that made cars specifically for us would be retarded...

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
6/19/09 7:54 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: Hey bob, what's the beef with the NSX?

shrug

I should just post in the "cars everyone loves, but i hate"

If the NSX was made by GM/Ford, people would have complained about how it was just the parts bin car that it was, and that the interior sucked.

To me (not saying im right) the NSX and the later Fieros were the same, and there is only one reason one is remembered as a supercar, and the other is forgotten.

I'm also in a pretty crappy mood lately, could be that too.

racer_ace
racer_ace New Reader
6/19/09 8:18 p.m.

In reply to BobOfTheFuture:

NSX and a Fiero the same??? What!

The NSX a parts bin car??? Surely you jest.

All aluminum strucutre. Aluminum suspension components that are a work of art. DOHC VTEC V-6...the first and last DOHC VTEC V-6 Honda has ever put in ANYTHING (all of the Honda Sedan and SUV VTEC V-6s are SOHC). I am pretty sure that the 6 speed manual in the 3.2 liter NSXs was Honda's first. An interior that blew away the competition for form and functionality when it came out. And most importantly...when it was introduced the NSX was a Ferrari killer for almost half of the dough. It would take a lot of GRM expertise to make a Fiero beat up on a Ferrari 348 (the F brand's main offering at the time the NSX was introduced).

Yeah, Honda let it age without significant updates. Yeah, we never go the lightweight Type R. But...the NSX was and still is a real supercar...but one that you could drive every day...and possibly even afford. One day I will have one...one day

Brust
Brust Reader
6/20/09 12:38 a.m.

Yeah, NSX is nothing like a parts bin car. It's not my bag, but in its time was spectacular in almost every way. Fiero was a great idea, but mediocre in almost every way until the final iteration when it became merely "good". Modified they can be great. NSX is great out of the box, and modified actually might screw them up.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
6/20/09 4:28 a.m.

Didn't mean the same performance wise.

I guess I don't know them well enough, excuse the grumpiness.

Next question- If its all of what you guys said, what kept it down? (not being an arse, want to actually know)

Brust
Brust Reader
6/20/09 4:36 a.m.

What is IT?

Are you talking about the NSX? Nothing kept it down- it's great, revered as great by most parties.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/20/09 10:15 a.m.
P71 wrote: If Toyota seriously forces Subaru to sell a non-AWD vehicle I will hate them both forever. That is a STUPID idea.

My only complaint with a non-awd subie is reliability, if history is any indicator. I had 2 88 subie wagons, one awd, one fwd. The awd one got trashed by someone who ran a red light, I walked away unscathed the subie didn't, (this was before I was into working on cars, then they were a rolling boom box, and that lay down back seat with the wagon body......well I was in high school.) But the awd wagon never gave me any problems, NEVER, go anywhere do anything, pass the lifted 4x4's running through the mud pits. The FWD one, well it was great for awhile, but it had all kinds of cooling problems, motor mounts would break on a whim...first engine I ever rebuilt outside of autoshop class. My dad overheated it, cracked one of the heads, that was my wits end with that car. I like the looks, subie drive train is a plus, sub 20k would be even better, but I wonder if it will go the way of the dodge rwd 15k coupe.....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/20/09 12:19 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
P71 wrote: If Toyota seriously forces Subaru to sell a non-AWD vehicle I will hate them both forever. That is a STUPID idea.
My only complaint with a non-awd subie is reliability, if history is any indicator. I had 2 88 subie wagons, one awd, one fwd. The awd one got trashed by someone who ran a red light, I walked away unscathed the subie didn't, (this was before I was into working on cars, then they were a rolling boom box, and that lay down back seat with the wagon body......well I was in high school.) But the awd wagon never gave me any problems, NEVER, go anywhere do anything, pass the lifted 4x4's running through the mud pits. The FWD one, well it was great for awhile, but it had all kinds of cooling problems, motor mounts would break on a whim...first engine I ever rebuilt outside of autoshop class. My dad overheated it, cracked one of the heads, that was my wits end with that car. I like the looks, subie drive train is a plus, sub 20k would be even better, but I wonder if it will go the way of the dodge rwd 15k coupe.....

subaru has changed immensely since the late 80's, so I think your comment may lack merit.

My family has had 2 subarus, a 97 legacy wagon and a 04 2.5rs impreza. no real problems with either one.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/21/09 9:50 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: Didn't mean the same performance wise. I guess I don't know them well enough, excuse the grumpiness. Next question- If its all of what you guys said, what kept it down? (not being an arse, want to actually know)

People couldn't get over that it was made by Honda. If you swapped the badges for any european manufacturer they could have charged 2X $$$ and sold 2X more of them to D-bags who just want to show off.

It's interesting that Gordon Murray used the NSX as benchmark when developing the McLaren F1's ride and handling. Supposedly it's still one of his favorite cars.

Besides, what other car has it's suspension settings set up by a guy like Ayrton Senna? (except maybe those red ones with little horsies on the front)

I really don't think the Fiero is in the same class, even though I do like Fieros.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LPnPQ6W6W0N3JtQP2R7QRQgWQV4gpz8cZ3P3yE5sAVpHF3DAOdbLkSe1i0caA2jq