Storz Dork
10/1/14 6:34 a.m.

Please, please build this Mazda

The mid engine RX9 Concept

http://jalopnik.com/a-glimpse-of-a-future-rotary-powered-mazda-rx-9-1640301421

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/1/14 6:45 a.m.

I love it but since it was designed by someone with NO affiliation with Mazda and Mazda discusses the RX-9 concept with even less surety than the next RX-7, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But damn that's a car I'd make payments on tomorrow. It's gorgeous.

Storz
Storz Dork
10/1/14 6:57 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I love it but since it was designed by someone with NO affiliation with Mazda and Mazda discusses the RX-9 concept with even less surety than the next RX-7, I wouldn't hold my breath. But damn that's a car I'd make payments on tomorrow. It's gorgeous.

Hey a guy can dream right

The world needs more inexpensive, mid engine sports cars. Remember the glory days when the average guy could choose from TWO different mid mounted options!? Fiero/MR2

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/1/14 7:14 a.m.
Storz wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: I love it but since it was designed by someone with NO affiliation with Mazda and Mazda discusses the RX-9 concept with even less surety than the next RX-7, I wouldn't hold my breath. But damn that's a car I'd make payments on tomorrow. It's gorgeous.
Hey a guy can dream right The world needs more inexpensive, mid engine sports cars. Remember the glory days when the average guy could choose from TWO different mid mounted options!? Fiero/MR2

Three--you're forgetting the Fiat/Bertone X1/9

Storz
Storz Dork
10/1/14 7:19 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Storz wrote:
Hey a guy can dream right The world needs more inexpensive, mid engine sports cars. Remember the glory days when the average guy could choose from TWO different mid mounted options!? Fiero/MR2
Three--you're forgetting the Fiat/Bertone X1/9

Was that available at the same time as the Fiero and MR2? There is also the super rare Lancia Scorpion, but I am not sure how "affordable" those were when they were sold here

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/1/14 8:05 a.m.
Storz wrote: Please, please wipe all the fugly off of it before you build this, Mazda

That thing is good in basic shape, but all the detailing makes it just berking hideous.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 8:11 a.m.

Yeah it has a good shape but I'm not too sure about the headlights...or the side vents...and especially not the taillights. Still pretty good overall and A+ for effort towards making an exciting car.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/1/14 8:21 a.m.

People need to start talking about having a turbodiesel, hybrid 4-cyl, V6, turbo-4, or hybrid diesel RX-9. Anything that's not a rotary engine is a better option because even us enthusiasts aren't able to tolerate the quirky maintenance and low fuel mileage. Average drivers aren't going to keep buying a rotary powered RX-9 enough for Mazda to keep making them.

I know, it goes against Mazda's tradition, but average drivers don't care about rotary engines (or regular engines) for that matter.

The design is exciting, but the headlights need a different position and shape IMO.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
10/1/14 8:32 a.m.

I love it.

And the solution to the headlights is.....pop up headlights. Those need to make a comback.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/14 8:32 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: People need to start talking about having a turbodiesel, hybrid 4-cyl, V6, turbo-4, or hybrid diesel RX-9. Anything that's not a rotary engine is a better option because even us enthusiasts aren't able to tolerate the quirky maintenance and low fuel mileage.

Shut your mouth.

I want a rotary and berkeley diesel.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/1/14 8:36 a.m.

Is it just me, or does the nose look like it has been sat upon by an elephant?

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
10/1/14 8:56 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: People need to start talking about having a turbodiesel, hybrid 4-cyl, V6, turbo-4, or hybrid diesel RX-9. Anything that's not a rotary engine is a better option because even us enthusiasts aren't able to tolerate the quirky maintenance and low fuel mileage. Average drivers aren't going to keep buying a rotary powered RX-9 enough for Mazda to keep making them.

Speak for yourself.

shut up and take my money!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/1/14 9:06 a.m.

The rational car guy in me says "Since I like it, they wont build it. It will get watered down, bloated, and neutered. Performance will be marginalized by the lawyers and bean counters, and will take a back seat to the demands of the greenpeace-30-something-hipster parents. The final result will be a limp wristed ghost of the concept that, outside of a 20-foot, half squinted, 3/4 view, will look and perform nothing like the designers intended."

The post ND Miata reveal car guy in me says "Hmmm...seems Mazda is listening....my fingers are loosely crossed, there may be legs under this one..."

...emphasis on "loosely"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 9:18 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: Is it just me, or does the nose look like it has been sat upon by an elephant?

Great, now I can't unsee it, even though it doesn't look bad.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
10/1/14 9:58 a.m.

still doesn't matter, since this is jalopnik reporting...

That's like reading the national enquirer for automotive.

This is a story about a guy in another country with no affiliation to mazda making some rendering that looks cool

I could do that too and say the cuda is coming back.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/16 12:41 p.m.

Saw OS Giken posted this on their FB. If this really is the new RX9, sign me up. I thought my FD was sort of boring with bolt ons at about 270 whp. If this truly looks like this, with 400 hp and a 1.6 skyactiv rotary....I think it's going to be a homerun.

It could all be rumor of course.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2020-mazda-rx-9-allegedly-approved-for-production-400-ps-projected-output-110599.html#

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
8/24/16 1:01 p.m.

Whoa!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/24/16 1:02 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: Saw OS Giken posted this on their FB. If this really is the new RX9, sign me up. I thought my FD was sort of boring with bolt ons at about 270 whp. If this truly looks like this, with 400 hp and a 1.6 skyactiv rotary....I think it's going to be a homerun. It could all be rumor of course. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2020-mazda-rx-9-allegedly-approved-for-production-400-ps-projected-output-110599.html#

Want. All the want.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/24/16 1:03 p.m.

ugh please no to another supercar. I want something in the $30k - $40k price range like the 370Z and RX8.

This car in particular thankfully will not be happening. Japanese companies need to focus on their customers and fans instead of the 6 figure income brakets once again. Mazda has had it right this past decade unlike Toyota and Nissan with their "we will compete with BMW" delusions.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/16 1:12 p.m.

The real question is going to be how hard it is to swap the RX-9 drivetrain into an RX-8. Because I still want a back seat, dangit.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/16 1:48 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: The real question is going to be how hard it is to swap the RX-9 drivetrain into an RX-8. Because I still want a back seat, dangit.

And see, I do not. LOL

The FD taillights on this thing make it look like a good link between FD's and RX8s.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/24/16 2:18 p.m.

I'll be in my bunk...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/16 2:21 p.m.
Storz wrote: Please, please get rid of all the over-fussy detailing and pointless body lines and then build this, Mazda.

FTFY. The bones and skin are good. The overdone makeup is not.

/edit/ Hahahaha, repost of myself.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
8/24/16 3:11 p.m.

I wish my life wasn't in such a state of flux right now. If this comes out late next year and is under 50k sign me up.

You only need one kidney or half a liver right?

Maybe I should start doing plasma now.

Edit:Good news 2020 says the article. I wonder how long it will take to get 50k in plasma sold?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/16 4:13 p.m.

I've been thinking about this, and what I'd really like to see is them introduce the chassis with a rotary option AND a lower powered piston option.

I know, this is blasphemy. However, given how incredibly hard Mazda took it in warranty claims with the RENESIS and FD RX-7s, this would give an entry level option into a great chassis. Kind of like the V6 Mustang used to be. Given the steep price tag on the RX-9 (80k, or thereabouts, as currently rumored) I can't see much uptake.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1tlePsePaP2QZzkcaFSi1Cb7M02WP4cA6IuI0VXiPsmrCoCeDmljM1ndvGecM9f