Steve
Steve New Reader
8/29/20 10:48 p.m.

...and you're finding yourself never driving it because it's too small for the family and there isn't enough room for a weekend of fun stuff.

What would you replace it with?

After a lot of thinking about this, I'm not sure it makes sense to keep the AW11 in the house. More so after finding a Vibe GT for daily use to satisfy my love for panic inducing Toyota redline treatment (although in a weird package, even better!).

But, it'd be fun to have an older car that is a little less complicated, a little angular, and a little cooler than the minivan (Sienna) and the Vibe, for when I want to take the kid out on a weekend cruise or overnight adventure, out to a not so local coffee joint, or just the general things you do with a cool, old car, like drive it to work every once in a while but not have to think about getting a car seat in and out of an oversized door wedge and for both me and my small passenger to have to really "wear" the car. I enjoy the alone time I get with just him in the AW11, but I'd like it to be the whole family when the situation calls for it. Maybe to see if I can get some buy in with the hobby so it isn't just me working on a single use item.

I also don't anticipate having the time or budget capacity to build and track the AW11 in the near, or not-near future, which was the plan. Nor the desire really I think, which is a bit challenging to reconcile with my past self, but I'm working on it.

I don't really have a brand preference or allegiance, I like anything that has some character. For the purpose of this thought exercise, a backseat is mandatory, four doors would be ideal, and a trunk that can fit a few bags for an overnight with a kid, plus the capacity to mount a hitch or roof rack (for bicycles). I don't really care what wheels it drives, though the rear would be my preference, and there should be a reasonably accessible aftermarket where in I could find some simple weekend installable upgrades and replacement parts that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

The Sienna has every option on the planet, every door is power except the front, it has automatic climate control, an HVAC stack that sends a shiver down my spine, and the job of doing the rear spark plugs sounds like a special kind of hell.

I don't want any of that in a project/toy car. But, I wouldn't turn down power windows, the capacity for a decent stereo, a sunroof/moonroof, and air conditioning. Even if they are "dumb" versions compared to a more modern vehicle.

A few thoughts I had:

700/900 or 240 Volvo
70/80's four door Corolla
Sixth gen Civic
Older American sedan (nothing desirable, just old enough to be simple)
E39/E46/E36
Panther chassis

And in the completely other direction:

XJ/ZJ Cherokee
Older 4 Runner
Other bumpy road ready vehicles

My relationship with the AW11 is like getting back together with that girl you knew in college who didn't seem to stop partying and never settled down. Sure it's fun for a little bit, but it kinda feels like I can't keep up anymore and she doesn't really seem to like my kid (or my wife). I enjoyed the hunt for and the time I had with this time capsule from my formative wrenching years, but the puzzle piece doesn't fit too well any longer, so I think it makes sense to move on.

Thanks for the advice in advance GRM squad.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/20 10:56 p.m.

Cressida with a manual swap. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
8/29/20 11:43 p.m.

If you are willing to connsider BMWs, an AMG Mercedes might be cool too, like an E55 or CLK55, or a C32.  Even a W210 E430 sport or W211 diesel. For sure avoid any that don't have actual metal springs (vs hydraulic or air), or that have the 722.9 transmission (they switched between 03 and 05 depending on the model and the maintenance is drastically more costly).

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/20 12:23 a.m.

Mazdaspeed 3? Or 6?

Integra 4dr 

Crew cab 60s car

My picks for family friendly secondary vehicle

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/30/20 5:48 a.m.

I had the same issue, this is what I bought. It's not quick, but it handles fine, seats four comfortably and eats up miles. And, they are cheap.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 6:16 a.m.

60's cadillac.  Go big or don't bother

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 6:48 a.m.

I've got a 1985 AW11.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 6:54 a.m.

Pete out here slinging the humor before 8am

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 8:11 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Pete out here slinging the humor before 8am

I sling more humor before 8am than most people do all day.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/30/20 10:03 a.m.

To fit the family? I vote 700/900 Volvo. There's a lot to choose from on the west coast.

My second vote would be 95 and newer Accord. Little bit bigger than the Civic and still fun. Also less attractive to thieves.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/20 10:40 a.m.

Alfa Milano?

Volvo is probably a better idea for usability.

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
8/30/20 10:53 a.m.

The answer is simple friend- you need the worlds first four door aw11

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/30/20 12:11 p.m.

How about funky 80s turbo vibes with a nice practical hatchback?

Or... kids loooove big old station wagons with jump seats in the back.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/30/20 12:25 p.m.

I was also thinking something like an AMG Mercedes. CLK if convertible. Or maybe a mustang or camaro convertible.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/20 12:37 p.m.

A Subaru brat with jump seats in the bed.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/30/20 4:33 p.m.

In the 'completely other direction' category I'd add in the Nissan Xterra and Isuzu Vehicross...

Xterra Gen1:

Xterra Gen 2:

Vehicross (Ironman edition):

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 4:55 p.m.

E46 sedan

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
8/31/20 8:39 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Alfa Milano?

Volvo is probably a better idea for usability.

I had a Milano for several years and drove it a lot, the build quality is pretty questionable and some of the the parts are pretty expensive, but it was pretty reliable and not hard to work on.  The main really annoying things are that the interior is made out of plastic that has the durability of a combination of Styrofoam plates and potato chips and I could never find enough unbroken parts to get the heater to work, the headlights are awful to the point it's not really reasonable to drive at night, and the exhaust isn't tucked under the car in a tunnel or anything so it scrapes really easy.  It also has the most rubber fuel line I have seen on any car, and it's very important to make sure it's in good shape because a leak in the engine compartment will drain the whole tank.  The engine sounds cool and they are fun to drive though, so if it seems interesting go check one out if you can find one.

Be careful of older Volvos if you live in a place with emissions testing, because the older 240s can be a problem.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/20 12:08 p.m.

Saab 9-3 Aero sportcombi. 

Dont be scared by the badge, parts are very available.  It's plenty fun right out of the box, and more power is plug-and-play away with an ECU reflash.  We had one in Washington state and loved it (M4ff3w has it now, in Austin). 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/1/20 12:29 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Saab 9-3 Aero sportcombi. 

Dont be scared by the badge, parts are very available.  It's plenty fun right out of the box, and more power is plug-and-play away with an ECU reflash.  We had one in Washington state and loved it (M4ff3w has it now, in Austin). 

Man these were some of the prettiest modern vehicles. Especially in that green they used in showrooms.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 12:40 p.m.

What about a Jag xj? I've really enjoyed mine so far. And Jags are in a really weird spot so they are much more car for the money than most anything else. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/am-i-nuts-daily-a-beautiful-classic-on-a-challenge/152734/page4/

about halfway down is the first pic from the day I brought it home. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZQFsXe2mBTiKEkuC7AsYY5ij6KSUPVKk0O2iWkwqVFALNptsmM1MUfbC0UJyGS4t