1 2
Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/17/13 5:15 p.m.

The fiancee and I went to TN last weekend. We had planned a trip to Tail of the Dragon last year in October, like the previous year. But various reasons kept everyone from committing. One friend suggested waiting until April 2013 and including Boxed in the Smokies. A gathering of Scion xB owners from all over to hang out and cruise (and mostly drink). Seemed like a good idea.

So me and my friend Chris headed down from OH on Friday morning and met another guy already there the day before.

I think we had 20 xB's trolling through Smokie Mountain National Park.

We certainly turned a few heads passing rest areas.

It took two tries to find a place big enough for all of us.

But we made it.

Happy camper! (Also because I knew Tail of the Dragon was the next day!)

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
4/17/13 6:42 p.m.

I still want your fog light brackets.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/17/13 6:55 p.m.

I'm still waiting to see toaster slots painted on one the roof of one of those.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/17/13 7:54 p.m.

There's a white one running around the Ann Arbor area with a license plate that reads "TOASTER".

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/13 8:13 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: There's a white one running around the Ann Arbor area with a license plate that reads "TOASTER".

I snapped a pic of BLU XBOX around these parts

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/17/13 8:48 p.m.

Nice, I still like xBs. Maybe one day I'll get one as a parts runner.

alex
alex UltraDork
4/17/13 9:54 p.m.

I've been thinking about getting one for deliveries. I could call it the Bread Box.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/18/13 5:23 a.m.

any performance stuff on it?

or suspension mostly and looks?

looks good btw. liking the lights and stance

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/18/13 7:10 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

Thanks! Mostly suspension-oriented, they don't go fast in a straight line so you work with what you have. Tannabee DF210 springs, TRD rear sway bar, front strut brace, Yokohama S-Drive tires, Urethane bushings. But also added an Injun short ram intake and Strupp cat-back exhaust.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/18/13 7:16 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: There's a white one running around the Ann Arbor area with a license plate that reads "TOASTER".
I snapped a pic of BLU XBOX around these parts

And there's one I see sometimes on my commute in black, with a license plate that reads D BLKBX.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/18/13 8:00 a.m.

My wife has an xB as her DD. Other than the 16" Miata wheels it's completely stock. I love the thing.Lot's of space for four adults, handy for hauling my hockey gear, almost 30 mpg from the day we bought it.It's great for running around town doing our regular errands and even serves as our travel car when we take road trips. I don't pretend it's a sports car and it delivers good utility.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/18/13 8:08 a.m.

No kidding on space. Last year I bought a dryer on craigslist, stopped at the hobby store to buy an R/C truck (in a big box). The girlfriend was with me, along with some luggage, I had a bag of luggage as well, plus misc other stuff. And room left over.

And this trip to TN she remarked that we started in Dayton OH with a full tank, and only filled up twice before getting home again on Sunday. That's 5.5hr drive there, around town a few days, over to the Dragon the wrong way which meant backtrack an extra 2 hrs, the Dragon twice, then 6hr home.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/18/13 7:05 p.m.

3 minute video clip w/ about 20 xB's and Low Rider by War. Youtube

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/13 7:08 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm still waiting to see toaster slots painted on one the roof of one of those.

A friend had a white one he referred to as the Stormtoaster.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/19/13 3:04 p.m.

My friend has TSTR2NR. I want IH8WIND.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/19/13 3:09 p.m.

What kind of gas mileage do these get? I really like the look.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/19/13 3:17 p.m.

In reply to mtn: My wife's xB has averaged 29.3 mpg since the day we bought it 7 years ago. She logs every fill up and the mileage for each.She drives like a little old lady, I flog it.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/19/13 3:29 p.m.

I've never actually gotten technical on it, but as I mentioned a few posts ago I put a LOT of miles on it last weekend with like two fill-ups.

I can fill my tank and go all week to and from work (~26 miles each way) plus a little over the weekend...

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
4/19/13 4:41 p.m.
Jerry wrote: My friend has TSTR2NR. I want IH8WIND.

Ha! No joke. The designer of the xB was strongly against aerodynamics. The second gen is hideously bloated and awkwardly shaped though, if you're gonna go boxy, don't go mostly boxy.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/19/13 6:37 p.m.

Great pics. I always liked them too, mine would have a vanity plate BRVTSTR

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/19/13 6:39 p.m.

The xB's drag coefficient is listed as 0.32. That's right in there with a bunch of other small cars. If you look at it in plan view the front and windshield are pretty curved. It's aerodynamics are better than the side view would suggest.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/19/13 8:11 p.m.

so any speed parts to make em less slow? haha engine swap?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
4/19/13 11:39 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: The xB's drag coefficient is listed as 0.32. That's right in there with a bunch of other small cars. If you look at it in plan view the front and windshield are pretty curved. It's aerodynamics are better than the side view would suggest.

Yeah, that's not bad at all! Crazy that it does that bad on fuel economy though. I can get nearly 30 in my Forrester and it has a full liter (it's a 1.5, right?) of displacement and awd on the cube.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/20/13 5:11 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm still waiting to see toaster slots painted on one the roof of one of those.

i'm still waiting for 13 other vehicles- a mixture of planes, boats, and land vehicles- to pile on top of 2 of them to form a giant robot..

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/20/13 7:11 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote:
Jerry wrote: My friend has TSTR2NR. I want IH8WIND.
Ha! No joke. The designer of the xB was strongly against aerodynamics. The second gen is hideously bloated and awkwardly shaped though, if you're gonna go boxy, don't go mostly boxy.

I have many friends now with the 2nd Gen. More power, but I just can't get behind the looks. If they were to put that drivetrain in the first gen? Oh hell yeah.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e7w2ZgkuhwkDKbLalKIamHHWVSei7rJHXhcfg5i9P3rZVblsXJprutufR2S3rEFf