1 2 3 ... 8
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/12 6:38 p.m.

Pretty sure we have discussed this before, but now it's starting to sink it. Just decided to see if our local Scion dealer has the FR-S in stock yet. Yep, they do. Each car shows an MSRP as well as a "selling price." The selling price is $5699 higher than MSRP. Thanks, guys.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/12 6:51 p.m.

Give it 6 months.

I am waiting for the first LSx conversion to show up.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
6/29/12 6:51 p.m.

When my dad bought his scion tc we were told that all scion dealers were strictly no haggle. What's on the sticker is what you pay and the only difference between dealers would be the fees for documentation and the other bs. Have they gone away from this pricing model?

Either way, if they are looking for that much over sticker go and get yourself a mustang GT instead.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/12 6:56 p.m.

wow.. 1989 miata all over again

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/29/12 7:04 p.m.

Awesome, don't make production meet demand (I think sales numbers show the first year of a model or refresh is always the highest, right?)

.......just gouge the people who want to support you.

$30k+ for an FR-S? RRiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigght.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/29/12 7:07 p.m.

hmm, think I'll just go over to the ford dealer and get a focus ST that has more power and more seats :)

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
6/29/12 7:13 p.m.

At 30k I'll be getting a CPO, 100k warranty BMW 335i all day long.

Did I mention I still have enough left over for pimpy shocks, wheels and tires.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
6/29/12 7:19 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Pretty sure we have discussed this before, but now it's starting to sink it. Just decided to see if our local Scion dealer has the FR-S in stock yet. Yep, they do. Each car shows an MSRP as well as a "selling price." The selling price is $5699 higher than MSRP. Thanks, guys.

Do you have the name of the stealerships??

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/12 7:26 p.m.

what.. a dealership gouging their customers? Who would have thought!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/29/12 8:14 p.m.

My local Kia dealership has all the cars/models on their lot with a $ 2999.00 wheel and tire warranty package added to the sticker. That's 3K over sticker on every car. On Kia's for crying out loud!!! Which is a big hit on cars that are typically marketed as inexpensive and with some starting in the 14-15K range.

I wish we could order new cars directly from the factory and just use the dealership for warranty work if needed.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/12 8:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Pretty sure we have discussed this before, but now it's starting to sink it. Just decided to see if our local Scion dealer has the FR-S in stock yet. Yep, they do. Each car shows an MSRP as well as a "selling price." The selling price is $5699 higher than MSRP. Thanks, guys.

I distinctly remember being told that Scion doesn't allow that by about a dozen posters here. I'm sure the internet would love to see the shots of those stickers!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/29/12 9:36 p.m.

There's already been pictures posted. I'm not sure what's going on because it is against policy. Slimy loophole?

Beyond that, no idea.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
6/29/12 10:18 p.m.

It's probably a $1000 fine from Scion per car. Don't worry, thought; they worked it into the price.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
6/29/12 11:22 p.m.

While I am way too familiar with that game from Mazda from way back in 1990 when I bought a Miata, it was not the case when I bought my FRS.

Subaru looked to be setting me up for the kill whn I started asking about the car before it was released, so I headed over to Scion. When I asked about extra mark-up, the salesperson said it would go bad on both the dealership and the salesperson if they pulled the stunt.

Now, taking the car off the trailer and sticking all sorts of expensive crap on them is fair game.

I felt kind of sorry for the poor guy whos job it is to convince me to buy no end of crap.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/12 11:37 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Do you have the name of the stealerships??

Daytona Scion.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/12 11:20 a.m.

Jim Hudson Scion had one in the showroom a couple of weeks ago. MSRP with delivery fee was just under $25k. Total sticker was just under $30k - for paint protectant, fabric protectant, a fancy stereo, nitrogen filled tires, pinstripe, and "Market Adjustment". Told me they wouldn't pull it out for a test drive until the deal was done and the paperwork was complete. I didn't feel like putting in the time and effort for a test drive since there was no way I would consider paying 20% over MSRP. I don't know if they sold it yet.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
7/4/12 3:40 p.m.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/12 3:49 p.m.

Daaaaaayummmm.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/4/12 4:01 p.m.

Hrm, I was under the impression that Scion would blacklist dealers for doing that.

Seriously though, who's gonna buy a $35k FR-S when you can get a new 5.0 for that price?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
7/4/12 4:04 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: wow.. 1989 miata all over again

That's what I was thinking. And it'll pass soon enough, as it did then.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/12 4:05 p.m.

Dealership boss: "Guys, we've got a new car coming in called the FR-S. It's a bit pricey due to it's unique platform and the current exchange rate, it's selling in a down economy and aimed at buyers who are likely to cross-shop it with used S2ks & C5s and are largely broke Gen. Y'ers. I think we should slap a $7k premium on it just for the hell of it. What do you guys think about that?"

Sales guys: talk amongst themselves...."Boss, we all want to say that...and we all agree on this...you're the smartest man any of us know."

Dealership boss: "Damn right I am!"

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/4/12 4:10 p.m.

Someone want to buy mine for MSRP? 'Bout 500 miles so far...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/12 4:27 p.m.

Hey if it makes you guys feel better, the Toyota dealership by me says it will be about $100k for one - special order only. Cars in the same US MSRP range typically run $60k-$80k around here. Yes that's in US dollars. 100% import duty on new cars is a bitch.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/4/12 4:39 p.m.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
7/4/12 4:50 p.m.

Mustangs have little to no appeal to me, but I sure wouldn't overpay for a BRZ/FR-S. I would go to another dealer or just buy a different car before I'd pay thousands over the sticker price. Heck, I don't remembering paying the sticker price for a new car in a long time, much less more than the sticker.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bi6rP0gUY3QjN2nTyjmBbueLYLTfGY4oWKsFzWfDYAsct2BDHQ5dTuCEspROwrQQ