failboat Dork
3/21/12 6:20 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5895358/the-scion-fr+s-will-cost-24200

Discuss

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/21/12 6:23 p.m.

Well, Toyota dealers are adding $6,995 to the Prius C:

Plus $1,000 worth of wheel-lip moldings, door-edge guards, and mudflaps. So, by extrapolation, the first FRS's should sticker in the $32,000 range.

I know Scion is supposed to be the "no-haggle" dealer model, but I've seen plenty of mark-ups there, too.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
3/21/12 6:27 p.m.

EPA ratings are here, too.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074345_2013-subaru-brz-scion-fr-s-get-epa-fuel-economy-ratings

22 city/30 highway/25 combined manual
25 city/34 highway/28 combined automatic (!)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/21/12 6:28 p.m.

I will take a Fiat 500 Abarth. Please and thank you.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
3/21/12 6:31 p.m.

$32 grand and the FR-S sits on the dealers lot while Mayhem Mustangs are plentiful....

$24,200 and they will get me to look

RexSeven wrote: EPA ratings are here, too. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074345_2013-subaru-brz-scion-fr-s-get-epa-fuel-economy-ratings 22 city/30 highway/25 combined manual 25 city/34 highway/28 combined automatic (!)

Hmmm, that is about what the AE86 was rated @... later to be adjusted down to 28 mpg highway.

oldeskewltoy wrote: ...they will get me to look

check that... if the mpg is only 22 and 30... tons of other fun can do that....

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/21/12 6:43 p.m.

$24k sounds fair to me.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/12 6:59 p.m.

what is the "market value adjustment" on that sticker?

The worst part is.. they will sell everyone one of them

HIDGolf
HIDGolf New Reader
3/21/12 7:33 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: what is the "market value adjustment" on that sticker? The worst part is.. they will sell everyone one of them

That's for a new Prius C. The OP said Scion doesn't permit dealer markups or negotiations. Like Saturn used too. I hope Subaru doesn't markup the BRZ. If dealers do, people will buy the Scion.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
3/21/12 7:56 p.m.
HIDGolf wrote:
mad_machine wrote: what is the "market value adjustment" on that sticker? The worst part is.. they will sell everyone one of them
That's for a new Prius C. The OP said Scion doesn't permit dealer markups or negotiations. Like Saturn used too. I hope Subaru doesn't markup the BRZ. If dealers do, people will buy the Scion.

Javelin mentioned that this doesn't mean Scion is exempt from markups (a shady stealership mighty charge outrageous "documentation" fees, for example), but I hope you are right. Someone here mentioned a story that Subaru is limiting BRZ availability to 6000 units in the US, so get in line now (if they haven't sold out already!).

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
3/21/12 8:03 p.m.

No thank you. I can get a 300hp Mustang that gets the mileage for that much.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/21/12 8:11 p.m.

I have personally seen that exact same type of "market adjustments" at multiple Scion dealerships, including this year. They know you won't haggle with them because it's supposed to be the "best price", and people are stupid.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/21/12 8:37 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Well, Toyota dealers are adding $6,995 to the Prius C: Plus $1,000 worth of wheel-lip moldings, door-edge guards, and mudflaps. So, by extrapolation, the first FRS's should sticker in the $32,000 range. I know Scion is supposed to be the "no-haggle" dealer model, but I've seen plenty of mark-ups there, too.

Call a Toyota rep and tell them. Seriously. The whole point of releasing that car was to offer a cheaper Prius model to compete with the Insight, and if a dealer tries to berkeley Toyota's plan up by overcharging people, they ought to lose their franchise. This is way worse than a dealer marking up some low production halo car.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/21/12 8:46 p.m.

I'm wondering if the FRS comes with a limited slip diff right out of the box.

Winston
Winston Reader
3/21/12 8:55 p.m.

$7000 market adjustment?! By my calculations, the average person would have to drive that Prius for 9 years before you'd save $7k over just buying a random econobox that gets 30 MPG average.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
3/21/12 9:03 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: EPA ratings are here, too. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074345_2013-subaru-brz-scion-fr-s-get-epa-fuel-economy-ratings 22 city/30 highway/25 combined manual 25 city/34 highway/28 combined automatic (!)

I had to check fueleconomy.gov, that is what they are saying. I don't believe it.

Or more that I don't want to believe it.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
3/21/12 9:14 p.m.

I actually have a deposit for sale # 2 at the local Scion emporium.

$27500 is the magic number. Add the 13% tax and deliver ect ,ect and it will be right around $35000 sitting in my driveway. I will get my deposit back under three conditions. First if if it is ugly and I don't like the handling. Second is if it does not arrive by July. Third is if it goes a dollar over the 35k.

Compared to buying my Miata in 1990, this has been simple. It is about $5000 more than I wanted to spend for a car. However, the money is just laying around and there is no such thing as interest anymore, so why not? The option was either a Mazda 3 or a Miata that stickers at $40,000.

HIDGolf
HIDGolf New Reader
3/21/12 9:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:Canadian dollars, right?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
3/21/12 9:48 p.m.
failboat wrote: I'm wondering if the FRS comes with a limited slip diff right out of the box.

They will all come with a torsen type differential standard.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
3/21/12 9:52 p.m.

Even if Canadian (it's price is still insane), I'll stick with a V6 mustang, or a 2.0T Genesis, or a Fiat 500 Abarth.

In order to justify that price (especially compared to the hundreds of thousands of used miatas floating around) it better have out of this world handling.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
3/21/12 10:17 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

I'm just surprised at the huge disparity in mileage between manual and automatic models. YMMV of course, but I guess slushbox technology has come a long way. I still don't want one.

In reply to NOHOME:

Let us know your impressions and mileage if/when you get the Scion. We can compare notes with my V-6 Mustang once it arrives.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/12 11:51 p.m.

I am surprised the auto has better mpgs than the manual.. I could see same.. but better?

EvanR
EvanR Reader
3/22/12 1:19 a.m.

Dealer laws vary by state, and I am certainly not a lawyer.

that being said, I believe that, as an independent business, a car dealership buys cars from the manufacturer/importer, and has the right to sell them at whatever price they can get. In certain states, at least, the manufacturer/importer is forbidden from telling the dealers what they may charge.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/22/12 1:30 a.m.
EvanR wrote: Dealer laws vary by state, and I am certainly not a lawyer. that being said, I believe that, as an independent business, a car dealership buys cars from the manufacturer/importer, and has the right to sell them at whatever price they can get. In certain states, at least, the manufacturer/importer is forbidden from telling the dealers what they may charge.

Yeah, and the MFR has the right to tell the dealer they can't have the cars they want anymore after they catch them gouging people. I doubt a MFR is going to care much if a limited-market sports car gets marked up, but the whole point of the Prius C is to be the "affordable" Prius. It's kind of a dumb move on the dealer's part to mark that car up over the price of a regular Prius, and if I were Toyota I wouldn't send that dealer any more for a while.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/12 5:55 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: No thank you. I can get a 300hp Mustang that gets the mileage for that much.

That's fine if you like trucks, I guess.

(Yeah, I know they go everything right. But slap on two more doors and it's the next Crown Vic)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/12 5:58 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am surprised the auto has better mpgs than the manual.. I could see same.. but better?

I can see it, depending on how well integrated the shift strategy is.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7lJgKO6i4KjSzx69eu6qRPHNfvHyng5LcViiKvTDfuOBkmFtOHLNbdULpbuF2IZY