1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/9/12 9:03 a.m.

I'll stick to ATF for cleaning a running engine. In fact, I dumped about 1/2 qt in my PowerStroke's crankcase and within 2 starts, I went from cranking at least twice for 20 sec each time to about 20 revolutions on the first start to running.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/12 10:36 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Too bad AC deleted his post. I think most additives, especially these types you're talking about, are snake oil.

my post was blank because i hit the wrong button. however, it was supposed to say, in reply to ZW's question of why anyone would put snake oil in their intake, that perhaps their pet snake lived in their intake and had a problem with dry skin.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
10/10/12 12:07 p.m.

How about running SeaFoam through a regular old carbureted Ford 5.0?

I picked up a decent runner that sat for a time and is pretty much a mystery inside. Starts and runs fine, but still, it's old and neglected over-all.

Would SeaFoam be worth a try to clean it out a bit once it's tuned up and running every day again?

Wondering. Don't know much about it other than what I've heard seem pretty neat.

Thanks, T

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/10/12 12:23 p.m.

I don't know if Seafoam is snake oil, but I do know it does a great job of cleaning carbon deposits out of fittings/etc when used with a brush on the workbench. I bought a PTC fitting from the junkyard and it was totally goobered up with oil gunk. Seafoam on a toothbrush and q-tips went through it like a hot knife through butter.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fP5AlOwGdH6awLAD3WW9RbLsbZpnhxFIKtyji6kMUsaS5whpKY2gzCDVEBZDmYAs