b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/10/13 5:50 p.m.

This question is about the driver-side seat belt system on my 2009 Impreza. I noticed that the plastic-clad receptacle into which the seat belt plugs has a lot of play. I can rotate it slightly about an axis extending from the front of the car to its back, for example, without moving the metal stalk that supports the receptacle unit. The passenger-side counterpart has much less play. In fact, it basically has no play about any axis / in any dimension.

So, I am wondering if something is broken. The car has about 30,000 around-town miles, and the driver's safety belt system is well-used, much more so than the passenger's. At the same time, we're talking about two different parts here with their own independent characteristics.

I tend to get a bit fastidious about interior quality, but in this case I think its legitimate. I don't want that thing flying off under high "G" loads.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/10/13 5:53 p.m.

big words.

I doubt its going to pop loose, but thats one thing I would check with the dealer on. Its possibly recall worthy, of course, we're Americans. We east in our cars and we're fat. Thats why off seatbelts break, says Japan.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
4/10/13 5:56 p.m.

Seatbelt/safety system warranties tend to be very long, if not indefinite. My buddy had the seatbelts replaced in his 1990 240SX about a year ago under warranty.

I would take a trip to the dealer if I were you.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/10/13 6:02 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: big words. I doubt its going to pop loose, but thats one thing I would check with the dealer on. Its possibly recall worthy, of course, we're Americans. We east in our cars and we're fat. Thats why off seatbelts break, says Japan.

Has that really been a problem with Japanese cars?

I'm hoping that the plastic thing is really just for show, and that there's heavy-duty steel doing the actual work. If so, then this is just another loose plastic thing inside a Subaru, and not worth thinking about.

And I don't eat in my car... yeah, I'm probably heavier than most people in Japan, but it's not like I'm busting out of the belt. I'm at least a couple of spaghetti dinners away from needing one of those extender things.

The car is out of the main warranty (3/36,000) but still has a few things remaining under warranty.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/10/13 6:08 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Seatbelt/safety system warranties tend to be very long, if not indefinite. My buddy had the seatbelts replaced in his 1990 240SX about a year ago under warranty. I would take a trip to the dealer if I were you.

I'd wondered about that. The car has been out of warranty for a few months but I know some things are warranted longer.

The car is due for a brake fluid change in May, along with some other crap, so I'll probably just let them do that and ask about the seat belt thing, too.

I just hope their mechanics don't mess up my fragile interior... it wouldn't be the first time.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/10/13 6:38 p.m.

There is a metal plate and clasp under the plastic cover. The plate is attached to the steel cable that bolts to your seat frame. I think it takes a 16 mm wrench(socket might be tough obviously). Take it off and tighten the receiver connection if it bothers you. But don't forget that there is a wire for the seatbelt sensor attached.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/10/13 6:54 p.m.
b13990 wrote: Has that really been a problem with Japanese cars?

Back when Ford was having major problems with buckles they contacted the manufacturer and this was basically their response. Sloppy Americans and their food. I was being a bit sarcastic in the previous post, but go see the dealer.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/10/13 7:15 p.m.
Ojala wrote: There is a metal plate and clasp under the plastic cover. The plate is attached to the steel cable that bolts to your seat frame. I think it takes a 16 mm wrench(socket might be tough obviously). Take it off and tighten the receiver connection if it bothers you. But don't forget that there is a wire for the seatbelt sensor attached.

Thanks!

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/10/13 7:16 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Subaru.com said:
. Another unique warranty coverage that all Subaru vehicles come with is a lifetime seatbelt warranty. The seat belt lifetime limited warranty coverage last for the useful life of the vehicle. Coverage includes seat belts and related components which fail to function properly during normal use. This warranty does not however cover cosmetic appearance.

Thanks! Subaru clearly makes no guarantee about anything cosmetic!

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/10/13 7:32 p.m.

I had a seat belt retractor fail on my 84 Camaro way back when. Shortly after I got a notice of a recall on that very item. (This was around 1989 and waaaaay before Yahoo told me about recalls happening every day.)

Then it failed 6 months later and Chevy told me to get lost that time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1eebctsc64bE7Wd7NZKFApneDmHkZTvRtR9FJS9KDlV88ENHwJsEP5fdpDd9Pcgp