DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
3/3/09 9:26 p.m.

Who all from the forum is heading down there? When I get out of class on the Tuesday before the gates open, I'm heading strait down there to stay the night with my uncle.

I'll be there all week with the exceptino of a few hours on Thursday when I'm going to pick up some friends from the airport....

Speedjw
Speedjw
3/4/09 8:32 a.m.

I'll be there bright and early Wednesday morning with our 1971 Grumman RV we've been slowly renovating over the last 2 years...

2 years ago there were bad thunderstorms that came through, which successfully swamped my tent no less than 3 times. 2 of the poles snapped in half, holes were torn in the side, all of which were fixed for the duration of the event with judicious application of duct tape and zip ties. When I left that year, I attempted to give the tent a proper Sebring burial (by lighting it on fire). But apparently the fire retardant was still good (picture person inside tent with lighter putting small holes in tent with said lighter...)

Anyway, later that summer, a friend called up and said, "Boy have I got a deal for you!" I guess that was all it took and now we have the GRUMMANATOR! Last year we spent the month of Feburary making necessary upgrades in order to get her to Sebring, which included but were not limited to:

• repairing all brake lines (there is A LOT of Brake Line on an RV)

• putting new Bias Ply's on her (why oh why didn't we spring for radials)

• installing AC (woohoo! cool shelter in the middle of the day)

• vacuuming the yellow shag carpeting

• finding the previous owners (old man's) secret liquor stash in a hidden compartment (haven't been able to trick anyone into doing shots... maybe that'll change this year)

This year we've concentrated on making her a little nicer, with things like:

• Awning that doesn't have holes

• Replaced Flooring inside (shag was ripping up)

• Water Heater (64 degree shower is more refreshing than necessary)

• Replaced motor mounts, recored radiator, waterpump... lots of little reliability upgrades

• Painted the bumpers!

Anyway, here's a pic of her at Sebring last year...

Oh yeah.. and this is my 21st consecutive year attending the 12 hour!!!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
3/5/09 6:15 p.m.

heres what our camp looked like a few years back. My uncle and friends have spots right on the fence, we camp right behind them. We add more and more every year though.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
3/5/09 7:18 p.m.

This will make 40 years since I first went to Sebring. I will be working for World Challenge and the 12 hour. We should make a meeting place for people on the board. Grassroots booth or someones campsite??

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/5/09 7:43 p.m.

I thought I was going to make it down this year, but my budget suddenly hit a wall....

sucks...have fun.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/6/09 9:04 a.m.

We won't have a booth at this year's 12 hour, but Tim, David, Rennie and I will be there.

Look for the sweet AMC Eagle with GRM stickers!

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
3/6/09 9:07 a.m.

Well if someone wants to post a place to get together. Im working out of the Tower.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UjECHQ2jMpB7zefgXUz2SBpXBT9eddjQTICwXxcF9BSk07iYKTvcoELpdNvJhr4a