1 2 3
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/23 8:59 a.m.

This is all as it should be/has to be. There could be no better successor. Thank You, Suddards for all the entertainment you have provided (Staff Too!). 

Side note: As my hair turns decidedly more silver, I find CM is overtaking GRM as my magazine of choice. I still love both, but times do indeed change. Best Wishes to all.

husky450cr
husky450cr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/22/23 9:36 a.m.

You've built a very, very good thing Tim...by far the best automotive magazine in it's entirety.  You gave us a monthly reminder that all cars are cool, all of us are race drivers, all of us can be involved in motorsports no matter our budget or background.  Quite honestly, the other car magazines don't even come close to GRM...
That said, leaving amateur motorsports in a better place than you found it, absolutely.  
The longest running column in automotive journalism, certainly.
And from where I'm sitting, leaving the reins in capable hands...definitely.  (I really enjoy Tom's video's...clear, concise and very professional).  
And lastly, congratulations on your semi-retirement...you're gonna' love it!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/23 10:23 a.m.

Great stuff, thanks for everything over the years and what a great way to transition to the next generation. Tim, your comment on not selling or giving the business to Tom is classic, but he has to take it from you. That is how you transition a business. Well done, and looking forward to watching you continue to play with the cars we love and watching GRM thrive.

bsaney
bsaney GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/22/23 12:13 p.m.

Thank you, thank you for building a wonderful magazine and your leadership of the business that it is! Congrats to Tim, he's stepping into a role with good a example to follow. Your publication has stood the test of time, so carry on for another 40 years and more! 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/23 3:42 p.m.

Congrats to all! 

Running a niche media business, passing a business onto the second generation, and maintaining a social media platform are all ridiculously difficult on their own. Taken together it's some sort of MBA Triathalon but the GRM team makes it look easy. Here's to another 40! 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/22/23 4:34 p.m.

I was thinking about this change - the kid is taking over the business.  

Are we in good hands?

Just the fact the kid got excited over getting a used surface grinder brings huge credibility to him.  

Mr. Tim is leaving us in great hands......also me now at the age I can call the kid, the kid.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
12/22/23 6:50 p.m.

Tim and family (and that means all the GRM staff too!) have built a company, culture, and a magazine that has played an important part of many of our lives. Having met, dined, and wrenched among them, they are all passionate, genuine car people that really "get it".  What they have done for the hobby over the years has been nothing short of incredible, and they are all great people to boot! I can personally say that without GRM, I wouldn't be where I am today, and I'm really grateful for that. They have truly impacted my life in a very positive way. 

Although I haven't been able to get down to a Challenge in a while, I did attend a bunch of them over the years. Every year, you could see how proud Tim was of Tom and how he was growing up in the business, getting in the weeds with the rest of the staff running and covering the event. It was just great to see! I also remember a few years back, Tim and family took some time out of their personal vacation to meet up with a bunch of us Dorks in New England, touring the Factory Five Racing facility (in Tim's hometown of Wareham, MA!) and playing with a prototype FF818 chassis. It was a blast!

GRM is certainly in good hands for the future. Congrats Tim on your Emeritus role, and congrats Tom on taking the reigns of one of the best magazines on the planet!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/22/23 9:07 p.m.

Several years ago- the first time I attended challenge- I had the opportunity to get to know Tom in passing via Stampie's bar at concours. It was then I realized his attention to detail and passion for the product. It amazed me how this young dude could have his E36 M3 together so well to be on his game at this event and holding his own while fending off someone who wasn't very happy with the way something was shaking out in regards to judging. I believe that if more people stood behind their product the way he stands behind this one, as you have for these last...however many decades, we'd all be a lot better off. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
12/22/23 10:10 p.m.

Well that's just lovely. 

lasttr
lasttr Reader
12/23/23 1:39 a.m.

At the risk of sounding like my late father, it seems like just a couple of years ago that we met young Tom! I've saved every issue of Classic Motorsports from the Premiere Issue, and more than a few issues of GRM. I'm counting on you, Tom, to keep up the good work for at least the quarter century or so I hope to have left. Many thanks to the whole family!

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
12/23/23 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Congratulations Tim. In my day job, I work with a lot of founders. It takes special talent, grit and a bit of luck to start and then grow a business. Well done. Thanks for giving me hours of entertainment and education.

I did the Smokey Mountain tour this last June, being run by Tom. It was a highlight of my involvement with motorsports , right up there with track weekends and racing. I am looking forward to see what he achieves with his name at the top of the masthead

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
12/23/23 1:19 p.m.

Congratulations on your semi-retirement.

Tom you have big shoes to fill. You look like you're ready to fill them.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/23 5:42 p.m.

Most excellent!  And it looks like the place (business) is in great hands!  Thank you for all for providing a place to learn and hang out!  To many more years!

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
12/23/23 5:47 p.m.

"we would talk about it more when he had earned the respect of the staff we’ve had for decades."

I respect the hell out of this.  

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
12/23/23 6:08 p.m.

Well done to Tim and Margie for having the foresight to put a secession plan in place as well as to Tom for rising to the challenge.  I'm watching much the same thing take place at our company, our CEO is the son of one of the founders and I've known him since he worked in the shop summers during high school and college.

Thanks for the great content, I wish that I had found GRM many years ago.

pedalboy
pedalboy New Reader
12/24/23 11:44 a.m.

Tim, I met you at Mid-Ohio long ago and said GRM looked like Hot Rod for sports cars & you said quiet, I don't want to get sued.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
12/24/23 12:04 p.m.

Thank you, everybody,  for the insanely kind words. I assumed that Tim's title change would be met with praise and accolades for his efforts over the years, but didn't realize how many positive comments I'd get, too. Thank you, sincerely.

I'll do my best to not let you all down. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AzUdhqlI46BVOkAKniQWpH4qTuADZuYxER5F55uMK0N74QmuYgT1I4z4fA87Y4Da