1 2 3 4
belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/30/08 4:22 p.m.

bs'ing with one of my friends who goes to state auctions regularly, CVPI's are bringing pretty low numbers what with gas at $4 a gallon. The perception being that crown vic's have poor mpg. He said '02-03's were bringing $1800-2200. All of which where solid color, non-white cars.

unfortunately it looks like the next sale won't be for awhile, but is there anything I should look for as I shop them? Or a good site for reference? Thanks all.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
6/30/08 5:15 p.m.

Check out http://www.crownvic.net/ and http://www.p71interceptor.com/. Lots of good info on dRock's pages, too. http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/index.htm

'02s have the older suspension but have the PI engine. '03s have the newer suspension, rack and pinion. S195 wheels bolt right on to the '03+ cars.

I've been thinking about maybe trying to swap out my '01 for an '03. I'd love to have the LATCH for the car seat and the chassis upgrades, but it's not quite better enough to justify my spending extra money on it. :)

Anyway, I love mine! I recommend trying one out. My commute to work is 26 miles of mostly 45-55mph streets with a couple dozen traffic lights and I probably get about 18-22mpg.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/30/08 5:23 p.m.

+1 on '03 and up, suspension goodies include hydrofrormed peices. IIRC, CC claimed the difference was day and night. Besides, P71s are just cool

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/08 6:19 p.m.

Yes! Do it!

When I keep my foot out of it I average 23MPG city/30MPG highway. About 17 combined highway/HPDE last tank

You want 01 or newer, period. They have the higher-HP "PI" motor (stands for Performance Improved, same thing the 99-04 Mustang GT's have). 03-08's have a different frame, brakes, and as mentioned the S197 Mustang wheels bolt right up.

Check out www.crownvic.us

CVN (.net) is a bunch of 16-year old kids trying to be cops with no correct technical information at all.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
6/30/08 11:21 p.m.

30 mpg in a P71? what rear end? 2.7X?

P71
6/30/08 11:27 p.m.

No, just cruise at 60MPH, RP synthetic oil, trans fluid, and rear diff fluid, K&N FIPK GenII, 180* T-Stat, 2.5" cat-back, and properly inflated tires.

Good highway MPG is easy to obtain in nearly any car.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/1/08 5:57 a.m.
P71 wrote: Good highway MPG is easy to obtain in nearly any car.

30mpg is good? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
7/1/08 6:08 a.m.

30 mpg is good when you can haul 5 people in comfort, or 15 in discomfort, and still have room for a body or two in the boot. . .

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/1/08 7:10 a.m.

30mpg is NOT good, not when you can get an e46 diesel wagon in the UK that is faster than a P71.. Hauls more gear and gets over 45mpg(UK equivalent), 535d is looking for 43.5 US Mpg Highway

http://earth2tech.com/2008/07/01/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-of-7-gas/

Only reason I mention this.. is many people I know say 20mpg is good and justify it in one way.. or 30mpg is good and justify it in another way. I challenge all to say that, no it's not OK and all our collective perceptions about MPG are WRONG!

Edit*... sorry just venting.. I'm just tired of folks at work saying.. Ohh I get 25mpg and that's great. My wifes Rav4 gets 26mpg around town and 32 on the highway. It has 7 seats.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 7:29 a.m.

30mpg IS good, not really good, not great and certainly not fantastic.

As a reminder, we are not in the UK.

What would that E46 Wagon cost? $25,000? $35,000? $45,000? I bet the $20,000 in savings (assuming used $25K BMW vs used $5K CV) would justify the 13mpg difference.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/1/08 7:30 a.m.
John Brown wrote: 30mpg IS good, not really good, not great and certainly not fantastic. What would that E46 Wagon cost? $25,000? $35,000? $45,000? I bet the $20,000 in savings (assuming used $25K BMW vs used $5K CV) would justify the 13mpg difference.

just an example..

I do believe that even the 46mpg that the BMW gets is too low as well.

John Brown
7/1/08 7:33 a.m.

I do not disagree with you at all.

I firmly believe that Big Oil has helped convince the OEMs that mileage is not as important as one would think.

The issue is in this world of DIY injection, how do we get a 3.0L engine (industry standard example) to get 75mpg in a 3000lb vehicle that can haul 5?

P71
7/1/08 7:48 a.m.

300 miles @ 30MPG = 10 Gallons x $4 = $40

300 miles @ 45MPG = 6 2/3 Gallons x $4 = $26.67

Difference = $13.33

P71 = $2500 Modded P71 = $4000 E46 Wagon = $30,000

30,000 - 4,000 = 26,000 / $13.33 = 1,950.5 "tanks" x 300 miles = 585,146.3 MILES for the E46 to be the same "cost" as even the modded P71.

30 MPG is plenty good at this price!

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
7/1/08 8:17 a.m.
P71 wrote: 30 MPG is plenty good at this price!

Especially since my 'compact' 130hp, 4-cylinder Protege is hard pressed to get more than 32mpg!

Nathan

John Brown
7/1/08 8:17 a.m.

I see what Ignorant is getting at though.

If we are using 33% less oil, regardless of cost we will have more oil longer.

The issue is we need to un-brainwash the masses that think oil needs to be changed at 3months or 3000 miles first. If the average consumer just started doing 6 month 6000 mile changes we would save more oil than increasing mileage by 33%

Getting into Esther based (synthetic) oils and running 7500-10K oil intervals will drop consumption by a LOT more.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/1/08 8:21 a.m.

The cost to achieve these higher mpg's is often overlooked. How much more is a Prius over a Corolla. My son in law uses a truck for his business, switched from diesel to gas because he was not saving any money due to the premium.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/1/08 9:51 a.m.
iceracer wrote: The cost to achieve these higher mpg's is often overlooked. How much more is a Prius over a Corolla. My son in law uses a truck for his business, switched from diesel to gas because he was not saving any money due to the premium.

If marketing, and therefore the average consumer, demand crazy power levels from diesel vehicles and were ok with a second or two slower 0-60.. they'd get much better mileage.

case in point
92 ram with cummins 170 hp 400+ lb-ft torque. would haul the same as the new truck that has 315 hp 625 lb-ft torque..... Won't be as fast, but it uses a ton less fuel..

whats the cost of taking a current truck and dialing some performance out of it.. negligible.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/1/08 10:26 a.m.

My 318i gets 24 & 30.

It's slower, smaller, and premium fuel is recommended.

I'd say the p71 would be a step up.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
7/1/08 10:58 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
iceracer wrote: The cost to achieve these higher mpg's is often overlooked. How much more is a Prius over a Corolla. My son in law uses a truck for his business, switched from diesel to gas because he was not saving any money due to the premium.
If marketing, and therefore the average consumer, demand crazy power levels from diesel vehicles and were ok with a second or two slower 0-60.. they'd get much better mileage. case in point 92 ram with cummins 170 hp 400+ lb-ft torque. would haul the same as the new truck that has 315 hp 625 lb-ft torque..... Won't be as fast, but it uses a ton less fuel.. whats the cost of taking a current truck and dialing some performance out of it.. negligible.

The difference in towing ability is huge. When you have a big trailer, are under your legal weight limit, and can't even keep up with tractor trailers on the hills you have a problem. My 95 Cummins went from 400 TQ at the crank to over 600 at the wheels. I still get 19/20 MPG unloaded. What are your MPG number differences of a stock 92 Dodge 3/4 ton with a Cummins vs. the a stock 95 vs. a stock 2000 model and so on? I don't think the difference in fuel usage will be a "ton".

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/08 11:40 a.m.

30mpg highway is excellent.

coming from the daily driver work rig getting 9mpg loaded or not, city or highway, foot in it hard or driving like grandma.

i love the fact that i can hop in the vette for a long ride and hit 30mpg cruising at 75 with the 2.56 gear and overdrive.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/08 12:13 p.m.
i love the fact that i can hop in the vette for a long ride and hit 30mpg cruising at 75 with the 2.56 gear and overdrive.

Having your cake and eating it too. It's great that such a fun car can be economical on the interstate.

Yes...I think 30 mpg is economical.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/1/08 12:40 p.m.
Cotton wrote: The difference in towing ability is huge.

you don't have enough gear. 400 ft-lbs of torque with proper gearing is all a good bit of medium duty trucks need.

Tribal knowledge, I wasn't doing development in 92, says 25-27 is doable with a proper fuel plate, more advanced timing and an uncorked exhaust..

25 is doable stock.

Our 07 test rig don't do better than 16mpg highway.. There's about 10 mpg there. I'd say thats a ton.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
7/1/08 1:12 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Cotton wrote: The difference in towing ability is huge.
you don't have enough gear. 400 ft-lbs of torque with proper gearing is all a good bit of medium duty trucks need. Tribal knowledge, I wasn't doing development in 92, says 25-27 is doable with a proper fuel plate, more advanced timing and an uncorked exhaust.. 25 is doable stock. Our 07 test rig don't do better than 16mpg highway.. There's about 10 mpg there. I'd say thats a ton.

I have the right gear. I cruise in overdrive at 2k RPM, which is perfect for my truck and how I use it. If I only towed in the city I might agree, but most of my towing is on the interstate. Gears would have helped me pull the hills, but would hurt me at 70+ cruising speed.
What was the 07 test rig? So what if you uncork the exhaust, change the timing, and the fueling on the 2007? A lot of the aftermarket boxes have a mode for better economy. Maybe try one of those on you're 2007 and compare modified to modified. Again, give me charts comparing various years models STOCK or at least a link to some ratings. So far everything I see for a 92 model Dodge w/ cummins is around 20, so I don't see how you get your 25.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/1/08 1:43 p.m.
John Brown wrote: The issue is we need to un-brainwash the masses that think oil needs to be changed at 3months or 3000 miles first. If the average consumer just started doing 6 month 6000 mile changes we would save more oil than increasing mileage by 33% Getting into Esther based (synthetic) oils and running 7500-10K oil intervals will drop consumption by a LOT more.

Huh? Engine oil, I use about a gallon every 3 months. Gasoline, I use about a gallon and a half every DAY. Guess which one I'm gonna be worried about my consumption of?

John Brown
7/1/08 1:58 p.m.
Josh wrote: Huh? Engine oil, I use about a gallon every 3 months. Gasoline, I use about a gallon and a half every DAY. Guess which one I'm gonna be worried about my consumption of?

It does not take a gallon of petroleum crude to make a gallon of fuel.

It takes less petroleum crude to make 100 gallons of fuel than it takes to make 1 quart of conventional oil. (IIRC, it may be 78:.25)

It takes less petroleum crude to make esther synthetics than it takes to make conventional oil.

If you looked at the oil consumption rates period (oils, fuels, lubes) we would be much better off as consumers by using esther synthetics in a car that runs an E50 blend with a switchgrass based ethanol.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QFulajpNNGXTAQBX3xA3Vwa553HEE0v22FmbxPbsgawS9NtMC0xeNZRWE6TaYcsU