1 2 3
Mental
Mental SuperDork
10/9/08 11:45 a.m.

You'll notice the ticker has shifted from the Challange to the the GRM Rolex24 at Daytona Experince ticker.

This is completely unsolicited, but lemme say this. I did this event last year (2007), and holy crap you cannot have more fun for less money. I took my buddy Daron and he refered to the GRM tix as the Willy Wonka tickets. You get to go EVERYWHERE. During the Florida freshh 200 and the practice we were on the pit wall. During the actual race, we wondered through the paddock and watched the teams pounding away and damaged frames. We saw Tony Stewart, Milk Duno (mmmm Milka), and bumped into Hurley Haywood wlking through the gate. We took some of the GRM tours of the Hooiser facility, the Team Sahlen pit skipped others and still had a great time. The GRM folks fed us every night, and had doughnuts in the mornings. We ate at the chili cookoff, drank way to much, went to the trackmate and koni seminairs and ran the 5K run on the actual track. All the time we contented with none of the typical problems. My car sat securly in the reserved fenced GRM paking on pavement. No mud for me. We avoided the handful of late night drunken fights and ugliness safe in the GRM compund with like mined good spirited fans and stayed warm and dry during the late night rain in the expansive GRM tent.

This year I'm taking my Dad, we're both pretty pumped up. If you can get the time off, this is the only way to do Daytona

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/9/08 12:51 p.m.

my christmas list includes:

-helmet -GRM Daytona tix

seeya there!

aircooled
aircooled Dork
10/9/08 4:41 p.m.

So... when are they having the west coast Rolex 24 At Daytona Experiance?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
10/9/08 7:40 p.m.

Well, they'd have to move Daytona. That presents some logistical difficulties.

Seriously, though, it's an awesome party. And I should probably mention the VIP package contest:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/contest/rolex24/

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/9/08 8:54 p.m.

I went to last (this?) years event, and had a blast. something about the constant noise of racecars is kinda soothing...and if you have never been inside DIS, it is daunting, as soon as you come through the under track tunnel your jaw will drop. You can barely see from turn 1 to turn 4

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/9/08 8:55 p.m.

and of course by Turn1 and Turn 4, i mean NASCAR turn 1 and NASCAR turn 4.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/9/08 9:06 p.m.

I was there. Froze my ass off, but it was great.

I'm going big this year. Need a beer, find the silver F-150!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/10/08 7:25 a.m.

One of our sponsors asked us to do something like this at Laguna Seca. I said sure, we will send you the money and you do all the organization instead of visa versa. That ended that conversation.

We could entertain this idea and please understand that this east coast bias is not out of any lack of love. I would live in California if I could. I love it out there. the Daytona Speedway is literally seven-eight miles form our office. This makes this sort of thing so easy.

As you read through the magazine and come to our events, I defy you to find all the GRM people that just do events. There are none. Every event we do is staffed by magazine people who already have full time jobs.

This fact, plus the expense, just makes westcoast stuff tough. We are looking to do more though, as we progress. Rather than start something new, we would rather get involved in something that is already happening. We already do a super cool Monterey weekend kick off party, but we see very few of you.

How many of you knew about this? How many of you are interested in the Monterey weekend?

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
10/10/08 8:02 a.m.

Well, I am.

mw
mw New Reader
10/10/08 8:32 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Well, they'd have to move Daytona. That presents some logistical difficulties. Seriously, though, it's an awesome party. And I should probably mention the VIP package contest: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/contest/rolex24/

I would love to enter, but the rules say you must be a resident of the US. Do you consider canada to be a state yet?

Debbie Brozyna
Debbie Brozyna Assistant to the Publisher
10/10/08 10:08 a.m.

Please get your GRM Experience tickets early. 1-800-PIT-SHOP (748-7467). There's a limited number and they DO sell out!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/08 10:24 a.m.

And I know people who have already bought tickets.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
10/10/08 10:29 a.m.

Plan to do it again this year....

I guess I could seen the ad in the last GRM -

amaff
amaff Reader
10/10/08 12:39 p.m.

There's 5 fewer of these now ;)

Just a question: any idea on what extra will need to be paid (if anything) for those of us wanting to camp in the infield?

Debbie Brozyna
10/10/08 1:58 p.m.

Camping is not allowed in the GRM paddock area (per DIS), but is allowed in the infield - for a price. Prices range anywhere from $310 for a 20' x 35' site, up to $810 for a 20' x 55' site for all 4 days. Call 1-800-PITSHOP if you want to reserve a camp site.

BTW, I just found out that 1/4 of the tickets have already been sold!!!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/10/08 2:26 p.m.
Debbie Brozyna wrote: Camping is not allowed in the GRM paddock area (per DIS), but is allowed in the infield - for a price. Prices range anywhere from $310 for a 20' x 35' site, up to $810 for a 20' x 55' site for all 4 days. Call 1-800-PITSHOP if you want to reserve a camp site. BTW, I just found out that 1/4 of the tickets have already been sold!!!

Wait. So what we did last year by slapping a tent down next to our vehicle isn't allowed anymore?

Debbie Brozyna
10/10/08 2:38 p.m.

Wasn't allowed last year, either. You were lucky that the Speedway Police didn't notice you. Other Speedway People did though, and brought it to our attention - it's a definite no-no.

amaff
amaff Reader
10/10/08 2:42 p.m.

I'm not talking about in the GRM area, but in the infield on the NASCAR 3/4 side

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/10/08 3:00 p.m.

Hmmm...

Well, I'm not saying it'll happen, but if you find a drunken hobo asleep on/under one of the tables under the pavilion, please don't poke him with a stick.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/10/08 10:26 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Hmmm... Well, I'm not *saying* it'll happen, but if you find a drunken Osterkraut asleep on/under one of the tables under the pavilion, please don't poke him with a stick.
MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
10/10/08 10:45 p.m.

How many hotels are within staggering distance of the raceway?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/08 11:17 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: How many hotels are within staggering distance of the raceway?

Depends, how far can you stagger? Seriously, there are a few on International Speedway Blvd and within walking distance of the track. Not sure if they're filled up yet, though.

amaff
amaff Reader
10/10/08 11:46 p.m.

Wait... so if I'm reading the info from the track right, there's no infield tent camping?! It's all 'specialty vehicle / no tent' stuff? What kind of BS is that? That was the friggin best part!

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/images/OvernightParking2.pdf

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/11/08 12:01 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: How many hotels are within staggering distance of the raceway?

10:45, ehh? Date come to a close quickly?

If worst comes to worst, I've got friends in DB we can force to pick us up.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/11/08 10:40 a.m.

what about just a few hour nap in the car? would the Speedway Police/Other Speedway People have an issue with that?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GuR4KCmrbYxWu2vp7vnb7c9Asll46hyhNdK7p47Y0JIgE9UvnHoZu4P17udQDBSP