2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
7/25/09 3:02 p.m.

How do you guys store your dirty shop rags until you have enough to wash them?

I just keep waiting for mine to burst into flames one day.

and how do you guys clean them, last time I pre-washed them in a bucket with cleaners for a few days and they still left an oily ring the washer(she was out of town so I was able to clean that mess up)

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/25/09 3:17 p.m.

Laundromat.

As for storing, I use an old diaper pail. Came with the used (clean) cloth diapers.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/25/09 3:38 p.m.

I have one of these, but they can be purchased cheaper elsewhere: oily waste can covered bucket

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
7/25/09 5:10 p.m.

You wash shop rags?

andrave
andrave Reader
7/25/09 5:20 p.m.

I throw a lot of mine out , to be honest. even after washing you don't always get all the old chemical out.. and some times that might cause unwanted results (like if you had paint thinner on there and washed it and wanted to use it to, say, buff some wax out, and instead thinned the paint off).

In addition my washer specifically says to NEVER attempt to wash any clothing that has been soiled with any amount of flammable substance. I think thats just them watching their own ass, as we've all washed some pretty foul E36 M3 and hopefully none of us has burned down the washroom yet. But if you were washing a full load of fuel and brake cleaner soaked towels, well, youre pushing your luck.

Anytime I have to wash anything thats muddier or oiler than normal (which is fairly muddy) I take it to the laundromat. Pay a dollar or two and berkeley up their equipment. Its a lot easier.

Oh and btw if its REALLY dirty, adding a couple cups of ammonia usually does wonders towards getting it clean.

pres589
pres589 New Reader
7/25/09 6:01 p.m.

I pitch them; first they get used for some normal purpose. Then they get used to wipe down my motorcycle's drive chain. At that point I barely want to handle them long enough to put them in the trash.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/09 6:29 p.m.

METAL can with a cover or they will catch fire, most likely when you're sleeping.

dennisg
dennisg New Reader
7/25/09 8:25 p.m.

Burn them and if you are not ready to do that, spread them out flat so heat does not build up.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
7/25/09 9:22 p.m.

I use the Scott blue disposable paper towels. When I used the cloth ones I washed them at the laundomat. I used a cheap detergent and threw in a cup of Trisodium Phosphate (Spelling?). I have lived on a septic system for years and dont want the chemicals in there.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
7/25/09 9:31 p.m.

I toss mine in a sealed drum made for shop rags then when winter comes they go in the wood stove.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
7/25/09 10:52 p.m.

Who needs to wash rags. I have a teen age daughter. I cant use the discarded T shirts fast enough!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BRCvcZBbDQBDQVObcOMyVjnsp2r3xUcMVHQStEyTZNSqJc2bXIri9g8go2AMBx7P