Spideytv
Spideytv New Reader
6/26/14 4:38 p.m.

My faithful '92 miata bit the dust and I'm in the market for a new to me car for around 5-7k and was wanting some suggestions. Preferences; fun to drive, has a back seat, reasonably quick and handy. Thanks

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
6/26/14 5:04 p.m.

Ion Redline fits that price point pretty well. I just got rid of a loaded 2006 with 57k that had the competition package (LSD trans, boosts gauge, gunmetal wheels) and was barely able to get over $8k for it. There will be plenty in your price range.

-Has a back seat (and technically back doors) and Recaro's in the front (except 2007's). -Pretty quick and fun in stock form -Affordable aftermarket and a lot of GM parts pin swapability. LCA's and struts from the turbo Cobalt SS are a direct swap and a lot of people upgrade to the clutch from the SSTC -Cheaper insurance than a lot of its competition (atleast in my case) -Pretty easy to work on and parts are affordable.

Best to skip the plethora of cheap 2004's out there. Look around for a 2005 or 2006 with the competition package. 2007's could get the package too, but came with regular Ion leather seats instead of Recaros. Between 05 and 06, the 06 got a nicer radio.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
6/26/14 5:06 p.m.

BMW E36 M3.

beans
beans Dork
6/26/14 5:13 p.m.

3-series wagon?

Spideytv
Spideytv New Reader
6/26/14 5:49 p.m.

Unfortunately the nearest ion redline for sale is a very long way away. Please keep the suggestions coming though.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
6/26/14 9:44 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: BMW E36 M3.

I've got one for sale in your price range

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/26/14 9:59 p.m.

GC 2.5RS Subie. In that price range you can find one in very nice shape. The most fun of the subies pre-BRZ, reasonably quick, all-season, competent in any motorsport or weather condition. I personally like the interiors and exterior appearance.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/14 11:05 p.m.

In reply to TxCoyote:

Oh really....so where do you have it listed?

More information is needed sir!

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
6/27/14 7:08 a.m.
Ojala wrote: In reply to TxCoyote: Oh really....so where do you have it listed? More information is needed sir!

PM or email me @ coyote4544@verizon.net for info. It is not listed yet.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/27/14 3:39 p.m.

You should also be able to find an early Mazda 3 for that money. You can also get an E30 or an E36 for less, then fix the problems up to 5K. If you have to worry about emissions testing, get an OBDI E36 instead of an OBDII E36.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
6/27/14 4:13 p.m.
Spideytv wrote: Unfortunately the nearest ion redline for sale is a very long way away. Please keep the suggestions coming though.

Sounds typical...

How about what I replaced my IRL with?

WRX Wagon/9-2X

I got my '02 WRX Wagon two years ago with 146k for $5900. I ignored people who told me it was a bad idea, and I'm glad I did. Now at 182k and after adding "Stage 2" mods, I've barely had to touch it. All I've HAD to change was the coolant "expansion" tank because the neck broke off (common), and a slow leaking bloated lower radiator hose. It's needed three CV boots, valve cover gaskets and an oil cooler gasket for over a year now, but still gets me everywhere I need to go. I beat the absolute tar out of this car and it never complains. Even with leaks, I barely ever have to add oil between changes.

It gets better than expected gas mileage, has tons of room and the insurance is way cheaper than what I got quoted for a sedan. It's also cheap to maintain, as my local big chain supermarket always has rebates on Rotella T6 that is usually already on sale...

IMHO, keep the search to the 2.0L cars (02-05). I know tons of people that have racked up 200k plus on EJ205's that have never even had the heads off. I also know tons of people with 2.5L WRX's (06-) that have had to replace (sometimes multiple) headgaskets, heads and/or entire motors. I usually just steer clear of ANY 2.5L Subaru...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L7fIMoS0NXiWAki4U4mc3Nugks4K5rAWBMvqxumlejapSZoeNnd34jx6VYyV9QNz