1 2

I also have no issues with left hand shifting. I do get confused by the swapped control stalks, probably the hardest part of it all, IMO. In a kei car, one strategy for passing is to use the small size to your advantage, cheat right in the lane to see what you can past the right side of the vehicle ahead, then quickly cheat left as far as possible in the lane, and if it looks clear, pop out of the lane (remain ready to pop back in if needed for a second) then accelerate and pass.

Berck said:

I really wanted a Beat, Cappuccino or AZ-1.  I'm 6'2", but I fit fine in an NA Miata, so I figured fitting in one would be no big deal.  Fortunately, I got the chance to sit in both a Beat and an AZ-1, and discovered there's absolutely no way either one will work for me.  Not in the sense of, "I feel a bit cramped," but rather, "This is not possible."  I simply couldn't work the pedals and close the door...

I am about the same height, and I do OK in my Cappuccino. Obviously fit also depends on body type and torso/arm/leg proportions. I tried an AZ-1 and it was a hard no-go. The Beat I tried was stationary with the top down, and I seem to remember considering it "doable" but the car overall just didn't grab me. Scroll down partway in the thread below for specifics and photos of the Cappo fit:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/another-stateside-jdm-kei-car-95-ea21r-suzuki-capp/175159/page1/

Berck
Berck Reader
7/19/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, interesting.  We're the same size, though I have shorter legs and longer torso.  Given that it was the leg room that was a clear no-go for me in the AZ-1 or Beat, maybe it *is* possible.  Now I just need to find a Cappucino to try on...

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/19/22 12:14 p.m.

I'm 6'3" and built like a ferret, but I was just barely able to fit in my Beat. Without its aftermarket flat-bottom wheel IDK if it would have been possible. My head stuck up above the windshield, but with the double-bubble hard top I didn't quite touch the roof. It was a tight squeeze, but I made it work!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/22 1:49 p.m.

Last night, a friend mentioned that he wants a Beat. I wouldn't call him tall. He's lived in Japan and knows what to expect. So maybe one day? 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/23 8:56 a.m.

I have had my JDM stateside for a year now. If you are in introvert, It's not the car for you. Mine is pretty nondescript overall. Most mistake it for an EK civic and don't even think twice. Then they realize what it is and give a double take and that is when the questions start. Mine only has 44K miles on it now so it's pretty fresh. I also didn't pay too much for it so I'm fine with ripping it on the track and it's been to a few track days already with a full plate scheduled for next year.

The big key for keeping one IMHO is to get a parts catalog from overseas. I've found with a little research, 85-90% of the parts interchange with US models for my car. Outside of those items, it's not horrible to get parts from overseas. Yeah, it's not overnight unless you pay out the nose but with the USD/Yen exchange rate, it's not bad. 

One thing I don't see talked about much is emissions. I know my 96 would be required for smog testing in a lot of places. I don't have ODB2 or EGR valve. Most of the modern emissions equipment is not there. I don't see it even passing a roller test. Luckily it's not a concern for me as I always have a place to register it but it is something to consider.  

I would do it again in a heartbeat and may do just that with an Evo 6.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/18/23 9:31 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

I have had my JDM stateside for a year now. If you are in introvert, It's not the car for you. Mine is pretty nondescript overall. Most mistake it for an EK civic and don't even think twice. Then they realize what it is and give a double take. Mine only has 44K miles on it now so it's pretty fresh. I also didn't pay too much for it so I'm fine with ripping it on the track and it's been to a few track days already with a full plate scheduled for next year.

The big key for keeping one IMHO is to get a parts catalog from overseas. I've found with a little research, 85-90% of the parts interchange with US models. Outside of those items, it's not horrible to get parts from overseas. Yeah, it's not overnight unless you pay out the nose but with the USD/Yen exchange rate, it's not bad. 

One thing I don't see talked about much is emissions. I know my 96 would be required for smog testing in a lot of places. I don't have ODB2 or EGR valve. Most of the modern emissions equipment is not there. I don't see it even passing a roller test. Luckily it's not a concern for me as I always have a place to register it but it is something to consider.  

The only thing that has been stopping me from importing a sporty kei car (Alto Works, etc) is the fact that the laws can change at any moment and you're left with a paperweight. Thankfully as far as emissions go in NJ, once a car is over 25 years old it is exempt from testing.

Donohue6
Donohue6
10/18/23 4:43 p.m.

Used to have an Evo VIII.   Miss it.  Saw this in Japan.  Evo Wagon is a pretty rare bird.  Have my eyes on bringing this home.  wink  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/23 6:02 p.m.

I'd love to have R32 or R33 GTR, but unless I buy a winning lottery ticket that ain't gonna happen.

Nidos
Nidos New Reader
10/18/23 10:39 p.m.

I've always wanted to get one and debated on pulling the trigger multiple times, but one thing that always pushes me off of it is ordering parts from Japan on cars that do not share a platform with anything sold in the US. I met a guy recently with a beautiful Nissan Cedric, and he told me about how expensive some parts were. The biggest issue he brought up is with finding a passenger side door for the car. The only place he could find one at was a seller in Japan, and the shipping was hundreds of dollars. The door itself was cheap, but shipping is crazy.

Maybe I'll import something one day. I definitely still plan on it, I just might get a car with a little more parts availability.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/19/23 1:24 p.m.
fatallightning said:

In reply to j_tso :

I'm kind of amazed by how cheap the older V8 Centurys seem to sell for. They must sort of fall into a niche that currently doesn't appeal to the enthusiast market. You'd think VIP guys would be all over it. Duncan has a quite a few already here, under 10k, and they're not known for bargains.

Interesting, that might be a JDM car I could actually fit into.

myusdmcavalier
myusdmcavalier New Reader
10/19/23 1:51 p.m.

I'd love a u14 bluebird sss, a jdm car that would be comfortable that doesnt suck on mileage.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/19/23 2:01 p.m.

Not JDM...but IIRC, R32 Skylines were produced as left hand drive for some european markets. Those should fall under the same 25year rule that JDM cars do.

Id love to see madtyteJDMYO! heads explode at Cars and Coffee when a LHD R32 rolls up...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/19/23 2:20 p.m.

Also, the book of faces has had an active JDM scene recently in the areas surrounding Cincinnati.  Some of these have been at local cruise-ins the last few weeks.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/20/23 10:14 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

Not JDM...but IIRC, R32 Skylines were produced as left hand drive for some european markets. Those should fall under the same 25year rule that JDM cars do.

Id love to see madtyteJDMYO! heads explode at Cars and Coffee when a LHD R32 rolls up...

"Gentlemen you had my curiosity, now you have my attention."

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

Not from the factory. There were some conversions but it was never rolled out in LHD till R35. Otherwise, you would see them often stateside. 

Besides, RHD is really no big deal. Only time I ever have an issue is if I wanted to take it to the airport parking which never happens. There is a small thing about passing on a 2 lane road. Other than that, It's good to get out of the car and not use the drive through. Usually the lines are a lot shorter. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/23 11:08 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

Nissan did not do that.  There was a Finnish gentleman who converted his to left hand drive, in the early-mid 90s, making his own moulds for the dashboard and everything.  He used Z32 steering and other parts and according to him, the rack bolted right in and the steering shaft cleared the exhaust.

I wonder if the Wayback Machine archived helan.to now.  The website is still active (it was Henri Helanto's car) but something in it is not playing nice with my phone.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/21/23 11:53 a.m.

The website loads the landing page, but none of the links work.

SpoonAP2
SpoonAP2 New Reader
10/21/23 12:06 p.m.

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
10/14/24 4:47 p.m.

JDM has a special place in my heart hence why I'm already looking at a few options for my next car. Who knows, maybe I'll start a project car thread. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pr5BVUvbie5BpSDtvdCXNljFsTFHXuxsGo12XbuFuxBMB3I823J431BCDUheLvOG