1 2 3 4 5
RobL
RobL New Reader
1/27/09 11:04 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Well crap, we didn't get any letter from jay yet. I hope this is jsut some meaningless delay.

Can you go into your entry and choose a car number?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/27/09 11:57 a.m.

Oh man, the Tunachucker has GOT to be there! PayPal Jay a few bux.

Yeah, passing at the approach to the chicane was pretty ugly. I actually got the chance to do it once and decided afterwards it probably wasn't the best course of action, way too easy to hit someone and get blackflagged. There were at least two pretty solid hits there while I was watching. By late on Sunday it had been 'nudged' and was a good bit more open. I never did see any ketchup or mustard on any cars, though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/27/09 8:19 p.m.

Make sure the 'plate' in the CIS dizzy moves freely. If the plate doesn't rise it won't get fuel. That's why CIS is so sensitive to vacuum leaks.

I was able to run my CIS GTi without the air intake tube by using a magnet to lift the plate while a friend turned the key to start it. You can also test the dizzy sorta half assed by pulling an injector, turning on the ignition and lifting the plate with a magnet or etc, the injector should spray more as you lift the plate.

I dunno about your car but again using my GTi as an example the computer really did nothing more than operate a fuel injector upstream of the CIS dizzy to regulate pressure and thus mixture. If yours has this, you should see what looks like a plain ol' electronic injector in the feed line to the CIS dizzy and it should buzz as you try to start it. No buzz = possibly your problem.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
1/28/09 2:02 p.m.

Everyone relax, we're in!

Now to get to work paying for E36 M3e. remember that there is a brand new helmet rule in effect requiring full face jobs! Lucky me I get to be safety equipment guy.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/28/09 2:43 p.m.

Great! It wouldn't be the same without the Chuckers. All my gang got outfitted for hot suits and full face lids etc last year so we are in pretty good shape. About all we need are neck restraints.

Oh, and put the damn engine in the car and convert it to manual tranny, points and condenser ignition and carburetor meaning a fuel pump swap. Then slap a new coat of paint on it, get two more tires and new front rotors, stiffen the front springs....

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/28/09 2:54 p.m.
All my gang got outfitted for hot suits

I had to read that five times before I realized the last word was "suits." Seriously. BTW, is there such a thing as a "cheap," or even better, DIY hans-type device? I've never really seen one up close.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/28/09 3:02 p.m.

I don't remember the guy's name but there was an article in Sports Car a few years ago about a guy who designed one that could be made from, IIRC, seat belts.

The neck collars used with a full face helmet will get you through tech. They say that's the minimum they will accept.

RobL
RobL New Reader
1/28/09 3:04 p.m.

DIY Hans device

I'm getting one of these: https://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Driver/23-Hans-Devices/item-1758-DEFNDER-TEAM-ISSUE-HEAD-AND-NECK-RESTRAINT

My wife, who is racing with us this year, is going to get a foam neck brace. I have no neck to speak of and I couldn't find a foam neck brace that fit.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/28/09 3:05 p.m.

FYI, Isaac has a $99 model.

RobL
RobL New Reader
1/28/09 3:21 p.m.

Isaac?

Armitage
Armitage Reader
1/28/09 4:00 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Everyone relax, we're in! Now to get to work paying for E36 M3e. remember that there is a brand new helmet rule in effect requiring full face jobs! Lucky me I get to be safety equipment guy.

Congrats ;) Hey is Mike P. going to be joining your ranks again this year? I went to school with him. I'll see you guys at CMP!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/28/09 4:02 p.m.
RobL wrote: Isaac?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/28/09 4:21 p.m.

I checked the Isaac site, all I saw was the Link for $295.00.

tyrannosullyrex
tyrannosullyrex New Reader
1/28/09 4:58 p.m.

The Guild of Calamitous Intent will be in Houston (hopefully, if the motor will work again) at the end of February. We call our car the "Fail Camino".

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/09 9:03 a.m.
tyrannosullyrex wrote: The Guild of Calamitous Intent will be in Houston (hopefully, if the motor will work again) at the end of February. We call our car the "Fail Camino".

Don't make me field the Rusty adVenture Mobile Science Lab.

Is David Bowie your anchor driver?

tyrannosullyrex
tyrannosullyrex New Reader
1/29/09 9:58 a.m.

Nope, just shape-shifted into a pack of cigarettes on the dash.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
1/29/09 11:42 a.m.

Yeah, Cpt Mike will be with us again - it's sorta his car after all. Went to RPI with him? Send me a PM, I'll put you two in touch.

Yeah, we have to: install fuel cell, redo brake lines fix radiator rebuild calipers cut springs (done) replace bent a arm redo exhaust (would you believe dual 3"?) swap rear gears (know where I can get some 4.88 dana 27s?) redo air cleaner wheels and tires brake pads swaybar hood latches hood hinges blah blah blah

helmets are too expensive for us to even think about hans devices...

-Brian

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/29/09 11:52 a.m.

berkeley. I'm out. Maybe next time. Spending money on fun stuff would fall under "fiscally retarded" at the moment.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/29/09 3:54 p.m.

Of course it's we todd did, that's the whole point. What, you wanna retire rich or something? Seriously, i hope you can find some way to make it.

JRod
JRod New Reader
1/29/09 6:59 p.m.

Love the Calamitous Intent name. I hope we're not waylaid by jackassery this time around. We're apparently moderatly infamous for the plumes of smoke rolling out of the car all weekend last October. Cupcake Racing shall return to MSR soon.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
1/29/09 7:29 p.m.

By the way guys, for all of you Tunachucker fan(s), out old website (last year) is tunachuckers.googlepages.com and the new one (this year and beyond) is tunachuckers.com

Check them out, they are pretty amusing.

-Brian

RobL
RobL New Reader
1/29/09 7:56 p.m.

Nice website.

On the assessment page "After the Great LeMons South Race of 2009, the valiant..." Unless you have emerged from the Tardis wearing a long scarf - I think you mean 2008.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
1/30/09 11:58 a.m.

Good point.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/09 1:48 p.m.

A perfectly good AW11 in LeMons!?

Hopefully it will make it out okay...

Bah who am I kidding

RobL
RobL New Reader
1/30/09 5:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: A perfectly good AW11 in LeMons!?

Ours?

Maybe a more recent picture would be in order (MKI Spyder):

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgEA7wy6RnQS1AKPvhAICzj4T47nuewQdLTi9xO5b1d5gaQOhV907gMgCDdeSkOI