SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/25/08 11:15 p.m.

I've got a, '86 CRX SI (1st gen, fuel injected).

What controls the idle on this car? is there a TPS, or an idle speed sensor, or what?

At idle, the car makes a rythmic vroom, vroom, vroom from 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm. I think it's OK when it's cold, usually starts this when it warms up. When it gets very warm, it won't idle at all, just stalls. Then again, occasionally it runs just fine.

Inconsistency is annoying to diagnose.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
11/25/08 11:27 p.m.

I think this is the same sensor that was bad on mine and a civic I saw at an autocross recently I think nothing bad will happen and it is probably an expensive part. After a couple of months you won even notice.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/25/08 11:31 p.m.

I'm more into fixing it.

Trust me, I'll notice.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
11/26/08 12:12 a.m.

take the phillips screws out of the top of the air control valve on the back of the intake and remove the cap, tighten the black disc inside the housing, and replace the cap.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/26/08 9:12 a.m.

This is sometimes caused by air in the coolant system. Make sure it is bled well. What happens is that the coolant temp sensor keeps getting weird readings from when it is constantly seeing air / water / air / water. It tries to compensate, but the computer ends up chasing it's tail, and you get the bouncing idle as a result.

Boosh
Boosh New Reader
11/26/08 10:06 a.m.

I had the same thing with my 86 Civic SI and had the problem that DilysiDave described. Have you checked out to see if the ECU is blinking out any errors?

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
11/26/08 11:57 a.m.

just in case, this is the valve I was talking about. take out those 2 screws.

inside is this plunger looking thing. snug it down.

that fixed my surging idle problem.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/08 1:43 p.m.
rexxy said:What controls the idle on this car?

The vacuum leak and the leaky injector!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KRunDM1Smt8gJvRp1do36FRo2If0DqeMRsXX1EDf0SBSKrDo2L1HNowwxkJPEwKG