blacksheep
blacksheep
1/31/22 2:51 p.m.

Hi! I hope this post is in the correct forum

I've been instructing for 15 years with local clubs in the Montreal, Quebec area.

I love instructing, but with the power and speed of recent cars, my survival instinct has me looking into head & neck restraint systems. The best option seems to be the Simpson Hybrid S which works with harnesses *or* OEM 3-point belts, but the price is outrageous here in Canada ... I'm looking at CAD$1700+ with exchange and taxes.

Is there any way to buy these cheaper, such as group buys, instructor discounts, etc?

Or, if someone you know is selling a used one in size M please let me know

Thanks

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/31/22 3:18 p.m.

I have a Hybrid S for the same reason--it protects my neck in race cars and in cars with OEM belts. 

I've found that I wear it exclusively, even though I also have a traditional HANS. It's great, and I'd recommend it 100%

Sadly, though, I don't know of any way to get them cheaper. 

I bought a $300 bicycle helmet a few weeks ago, and justified it the same way I've always justified safety gear: How stupid will I feel if I hurt myself to save some cash? Hospital beds are expensive, and I've never found it hard to justify reducing the chance of ending up in one by spending extra money. It's a tougher decision when that more expensive gear is completely out of the budget, but if it's a question of wanting to save money vs. needing to save money, just order the good stuff and be glad you'll be able to say "I did everything within my power to prevent this injury" if anything ever does happen.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/22 3:26 p.m.

I'd hope someone offers discounts to instructors on these as you guys are actively growing the sport and can really have a positive influence on your students, not just with their driving but also on their safety equipment choices. It's a shame that Simpson hasn't put the more affordable Hybrid Sport through the same testing as the Hybrid S as that price is a bit easier to swallow. For myself I went with a standard Hans as my car has 6 point belts, FIA seats and a roll bar but at some point I'll join the instructor ranks and I'll want that protection no matter what car I'm in.

I was going to recommend Demon Tweeks but it looks like their pricing is no better than what you have already found. Are there any club sponsors of groups you work with that could help out? I feel like there is so much money in this hobby that people forget some of us have actual budgets sometimes.

I saw your other post, Mont Tremblant is on my short list to drive, probably with the BMW club as I work through their program.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/22 3:46 p.m.

I have an old Safety Solutions R3, which is the previous version of the Hybrid S. Simpson bought Safety Solutions and sold the same design as the Simpson R3 for a while before releasing an updated one as the Hybrid S. I sent mine in to Simpson a couple years ago and they had no problem recertifying it for me. It would be worth checking with Simpson first to make sure this is still the case, but if so, buying a used R3 may be a good option. I love mine.

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
1/31/22 4:00 p.m.

Thanks for the advice so far, please keep the info coming!

@Tom Suddard: I agree 100% with your points (except hospital beds - they're free here wink but I'll still do my best to avoid them). I know safety isn't something to cheap out on, but I'm trying to save some $$ without compromising if I can!

@adam325: I agree, having an instructor discount would help out and also spread awareness of this device with students! Win-win ...

If you ever make it to Tremblant hit me up and I'll get you up to speed quickly. I instruct BMW Quebec and BMW Boston events there, it's an awesome track (and currently under pressure from nearby residents to close down)

@obsolete: Thanks, I'm aware of the R3 and I'm keeping an eye out for either one but I haven't seen any R3s or Hybrid Ss for sale used.

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
2/27/22 2:53 p.m.

Update on this ... I kept doing searches and found one that had just been posted on a message board. It was about 100 miles from here, still certified, selling for way less than half price. It was even the right size for me (I'd been test-fitted in the Simpson both at SEMA). I contacted the seller immediately and had a friend pick it up for me. I truly can't believe my luck!

Thanks everyone! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
16R6AcgrBictWMjaoFspCx5FpA9IvdGBvGMQsBX3t9Pe5Kn7wdgm3zLIOPaePtbf