1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/12/15 10:30 a.m.

Google "routed slot car track" ... but hide your credit cards first.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
11/12/15 10:33 a.m.

man....you guys are making me want to go pull my RC stuff out of storage. This is an expensive place to hang out, haha.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/12/15 10:42 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30:

GRM: Enablers R Us.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
11/12/15 10:57 a.m.

Winter is coming, time to dig out the project that stopped 28 years ago. Wow time flies, now or never my kids are the right age to get them going on the RC stuff. I seriously cannot bring my self to buy them a toy store car even if they are cheaper and faster.

I bet my local hobby store has a track somewhere if not in their basement.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/12/15 11:07 a.m.

I play with a 10th scale rock crawler as my winter outdoor fun. But i may look for a local slot car dragstrip.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/15 11:12 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: If you were to buy a home set up, what HO brand is the one to get that will last? Back in the day, everybody had Tyco slots, so we mixed and matched track quit a bit. I'm thinking of buying a set for my niece and nephews.

Tomy AFX stuff, but don't buy new. Their retail prices are berkeleying nuts. You can find tons of track sans cars on CL, eBay, etc for super cheap. Then buy some Auto World cars to run on the track. Auto World's dragstrip sets are good buys though.

http://www.autoworldslotcars.com/

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
11/12/15 11:15 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: 1977...perfect About 50 bucks for a car. Not terrible. How much do you end up spending on tires, etc? Also need to see if there's a track anywhere near me...

I did not see this!

I did not see this!

I did not see this!

I did not see this!

I did not see this!

La, la, la

La, la, la

La, la, la

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/12/15 12:08 p.m.

I remembered after I got home last night that I had actually bought a 1/32 car from that charity auction for animals I attend every year, a few years ago. So now I suddenly have THREE cars. Hm, probably should get the tiny weird screwdriver someone let me borrow to remove the body to move the magnets. I saw people using some kind of fluid on their tires. I bet I can find other bodies for the cars......

Sigh, here we go. (It has to be cheaper than real car stuff, right??)

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
11/12/15 12:17 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I remembered after I got home last night that I had actually bought a 1/32 car from that charity auction for animals I attend every year, a few years ago. So now I suddenly have THREE cars. Hm, probably should get the tiny weird screwdriver someone let me borrow to remove the body to move the magnets. I saw people using some kind of fluid on their tires. I bet I can find other bodies for the cars...... Sigh, here we go. (It has to be cheaper than real car stuff, right??)

i would hope its only 1/32 the cost

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/12/15 12:35 p.m.

You guys know that we have a killer, killer slot car track around the corner from the GRM offices, right?

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
11/12/15 1:54 p.m.

I was so into this in the 60/70's. Started off with 1/32 to race at the local hobby shop but had HO at home due to the space. Glad to see the hobby is coming back.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/12/15 2:50 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: You guys know that we have a killer, killer slot car track around the corner from the GRM offices, right?

That sounds like a Rolex 24hr GRM package throwdown to me.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
11/12/15 2:59 p.m.

I should NOT have clicked on this topic.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/15 3:38 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: 1977...perfect About 50 bucks for a car. Not terrible. How much do you end up spending on tires, etc? Also need to see if there's a track anywhere near me...
I did not see this! I did not see this! I did not see this! I did not see this! I did not see this! La, la, la La, la, la La, la, la

He he he I was going to post this over in the GT6 thread for you.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
11/12/15 4:59 p.m.

I bring my kids to this place every now and then. http://www.modelvillehobby.com/index.html

I would like to go more often, but it is an hour plus away. We used to have a similar (but less track) place like this about half an hour away when I was younger (before kids) and I was there a lot. I believe it is 1/24th scale that we race on sheetmetal chassis with lexan bodies. I still even have an old drag car from the old track, but this place doesn't have a drag track. My wife even has an old Womp car from back in the day.

My kids love racing the cars. I gave them each one of my old chassis, and they picked out new bodies. I bought them their own controllers from X-mas last year as they would both fight over who got my (cool) controller which was exactly the same as the rental ones aside from the fact that the rentals were spray painted. They love having their own controllers. I spend our time there chasing the cars that come off the track, and don;t do any racing myself anymore. I miss racing, but the are so bad at driving these things that they would literally spend more time getting the cars back in the groove than actually racing so I help them out. My father used to do this sort of slot car racing as a kid in the 50's/60's, and we brought him a few years ago. He absolutely loved it, and it brought back so many memories.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
11/12/15 5:11 p.m.
Duke wrote:
akylekoz wrote: Wish I still had my old TCR slotless car track, three contacts and a switch to change lanes.
And the JAM CAR!

I still have mine, and the Jam Car, and the Super Boost (double the speed when passing).

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/12/15 7:37 p.m.
Karacticus wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: I thought it was massive cool, my wife said every guy in there gave her the heebie-jeebies.
When I did high power rocketry, my wife liked to classify the participants as either "That man has never known a woman's touch" or "That man will never know a woman's touch." Sounds like a similar participant pool!

Ha, as a Hot Wheels collector I will agree. My wife went to the Nationals a couple years ago with me and she said it was like a convention of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. I didn't see it so maybe that says something....

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/13/15 6:18 a.m.

So I was just telling Mrs. Kazoo the other day that I need something to do during the winter. She's going to hate you guys . . .

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/13/15 6:51 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Winter distraction is 85% of why I went to check it out. Last year by the end of winter I was pretty sad shape. I remembered seeing something about the league/competitions around Feb or so, almost done. Last weekend I just happened to think "hey wonder when it starts again?" Perfect timing.

Between this, a new Xbox1, finally painting 2 model cars I bought this year, and heavy dose of Vitamin D I think I'll manage. Now if they start up a Warhammer 40K game...

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/15 1:45 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I need 1/32 scale GRM decals now.

I made a set in 1/24 scale with a Testors Decal kit from Hobby Lobby. I scaled it and the Oval Speed decal on the C pillar to size in Word and printed them out. They aren't terribly durable so for protection on a slot car I would clear coat the body with acrylic floor wax. It was easy to do. Size them, print onto the paper and spray with a clear sealant in the kit. The floor polish is basically a self leveling acrylic clear coat. Paint it on with a paint brush and let it dry and it makes a nice smooth high gloss coating.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
11/13/15 1:46 p.m.

Look up Martin Brundle and slot cars. He just auctioned a crazy sized layout.

Tom

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
11/13/15 2:05 p.m.

I am curious about the Anki Overdrive more than traditional slot cars now but they arent making cool scale ones

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/15 4:17 p.m.

Well, all righty then...

slot car info

more slot car info

and where I race...

Phase II

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/13/15 9:04 p.m.

We should have a "show off your slot car" thread... I had some old Tjets that were pretty heavily modified...

asoduk
asoduk Reader
11/13/15 10:16 p.m.

I have this a block from my house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTz8Fs4x1s Mark's Model World in Canton Ohio. People come from all over for big races.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GALHVuGvm0dH7hecVtGXXRVPTMMqmvPbbkfnCJYho1v4EpmWA7dCWFfy84v0fvK6