1 2 3
Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/15 6:42 a.m.

In reply to noddaz:

That 24 hour race looks like a good time. We tried that a few times as kids but knock off Tyco cars generally didn't hold up to endurance racing.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/14/15 12:52 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to noddaz: That 24 hour race looks like a good time. We tried that a few times as kids but knock off Tyco cars generally didn't hold up to endurance racing.

The worm gear Tycos were slow as E36 M3 but the ring-and-pinion jobs were brutally fast. I used sponge slicks because silicone tires caused the slot pin to pop out of the track if too much throttle was applied too quickly (hey, I was 14). That was with an 85-ohm controller too.

Having said that, the electrical pickups would wear through after just a few hours of track time so I guess the speed advantage would be negated by time spent in the "pits."

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/15 1:35 p.m.

The ring gear ones were the ones we ran but they weren't real Tycos and after a few hours things would wear and the rear axles would move around or fall out altogether. Once we moved on to Womps we tried to get the local track to do a 24 hour race but I think the track owner got tired of us the few hours we were already there.

jjreyn
jjreyn New Reader
11/14/15 4:59 p.m.

I spend a lot of time reading the forum as well as other areas of the site, but have rarely posted. This thread has pulled me in though (ok, the "soccer moms invade the 2016 challenge also calls out to me). Had to pull my very early 80's and highly modified Womps out of the chest for pics. Raced at a track in Pasadena, Tx back in '81/'82 with these guys. As you can see we were allowed quite a few mods and yes the bodies did include the thin plastic wings. Not as fast as the 1/24 scale cars, but far faster than a stocker. I did not do the bodies. Bought one and won one.

1st car I built:

2nd car I built and lightened even more:

Group Pic:

Controller has heat sink and microswitch for direct power when full on:

ncjay
ncjay Dork
11/14/15 7:38 p.m.

I saw this today. Slot car racing could never hold my attention, because you don't really race so much as try to just keep the car from flying off the track, but this looks interesting. Slot car racing without the slots. https://anki.com/en-us

stroker
stroker SuperDork
12/24/15 9:21 p.m.

Anyone think a slot car raceway operating part time might be viable? Open on weekends and maybe Thu/Fri nights?

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
12/24/15 11:26 p.m.

I know a few places that do that stroker, in fact I think some of the biggest ones in the area either here (Oceanside Cali) or in Lynwood Washington were like that. Viable in terms of a money maker I don't know I think it's going to be super niche.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
12/25/15 5:49 a.m.

In reply to stroker:

There's another place nearby I haven't tried yet that's supposedly JUST a slot car place. I had forgotten about them, sounds like something to look up over the holiday break!

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
12/25/15 10:28 a.m.

If its like this I'll go

https://www.facebook.com/rallyemag/videos/10153868215514973/

stroker
stroker SuperDork
12/25/15 10:39 a.m.

Well, it seems to me that if you had a slot car raceway, a comic book shop and a wargaming shop all sharing the same place you could work out a pretty good symbiotic arrangement...

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/25/15 12:59 p.m.

I spent a lot of time at the 24th scale track on Lakewood Blvd in Long Beach CA. Hand wound motors, expensive magnets, little ball bearings, Oring front tires, and big foam tires on the rear, suspended bodies, and swing arm frames. Had to hand make all of my gear I would just burn up any store bought stuff! I always came back smelling like traction compound! Make that 1971 or 2.

World of Speed in Wilsonville Oregon Here

Has a very nice slot car layout they have not yet decided what to do with it. I told them to start a club and turn it over to them to run.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XkRWhoxw3bD1FJE6Sa1zgdVyKF9wzXNQZ6zl0m16lRoqGc0l9djUkrrYkB4XJ9tV