Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/16 8:17 p.m.

2007 era to be specific.

Any known problems?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/21/16 8:20 p.m.

Typical Toyota. No issues that I know of. There are several people here who say that they are not that competent of handling car or are underpowered.

It was what they used for the Celebrity Race at the Long Beach Grand Prix for almost a decade.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/21/16 8:22 p.m.

Didn't they have the 'get your teenager pregnant' fold flat seats?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/16 8:22 p.m.

They are excellent cars for people that don't care much about cars, but nothing special if you do. Big glass sunroof makes them top heavy, small engine, etc. Also the rear trim panel above the license plate is broken on 9/10ths of them I see.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/21/16 8:29 p.m.

My brother in law rolled one into a ditch and walked away. I'd say they reasonably safe.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
3/21/16 8:37 p.m.

My buddy built what we were told was the first turbo automatic in the states.

photo EngineBayAfter.jpg  photo EngineBay2After.jpg

Quick for what it was, had a ton of trans problems with it.

Prior to the turbo it was pretty uninspiring, the terrible throttle response was what I remember most.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/16 8:54 p.m.

Driven by shiny happy people. Every. Last. One.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/21/16 9:22 p.m.

Can be better than appliance appliances. My ex drove one, it was comfortable, handled well enough but no rock star, had torques but just enough to get around not enough to get in trouble. I kinda liked it but would rather drive a comparable Honda.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/16 9:33 p.m.

I like the way they look.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/16 9:35 p.m.

Heavy for the size, slow considering a 2.4L engine, poor fuel economy for a 4 banger, cramped rear seats and small cargo capacity. But, 'yota reliability and half decent looking. More practical rides can be had with 4 doors that will perform as well or better and serve better as a DD. Depending on criteria, a last (7th?) gen Celica is a better "sporty" coupe and an 4 cyl Accord or Blandry (Camry) sedan with a MT will get better MPGeeees and have more room while being about as quick. My $0.02...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/21/16 9:40 p.m.

Removing the glass roof and replacing with fiberglass changes them in a big way.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/21/16 9:47 p.m.

You can't fit a NB Miata hood in the back without a strap to hold the hatch down. We used zip ties to hold it down and I sent the kid on his way.

After that I hear it's expensive to insure for teenage girls.

That's all I know.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
3/21/16 9:50 p.m.

No! The car that has sparked more road rage incidences than any other!

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/21/16 9:54 p.m.

Some toyota salesman convinced me to test drive one when they came out....total turd, didnt have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cats ass

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/16 9:56 p.m.

Camry Sport Coupe

secretariata
3/21/16 9:59 p.m.
chiodos wrote: Some toyota salesman convinced me to test drive one when they came out....total turd, didnt have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cats ass

That's hilarious...the "drift kitty" has enough power to drop the turd hangin' by recycled fur at the first turn after she launches from the (litter) box...

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
3/21/16 10:16 p.m.

Sister has one in stick, it's ok. Rear trim panel breaks like stated above, they decided it was a good idea to plastic part where people lift to open the heavy hatch.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/21/16 10:34 p.m.

There is nothing wrong with it. Decent appliance.

My brother sold them for awhile. I made the comment about it "The Scion TC: For when you want the looks of a sports car and the performance of a minivan". He replied with "That is insulting to the Sienna"

secretariata
3/21/16 10:36 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Camry Sport Coupe

Don't you mean "Camry Sport Pretender"?

A v-6 Blandry is faster...as well as the Sienna

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/21/16 10:39 p.m.

I didn't hate one when i drove it in 2005. The interior was as boring as it got, save for the uprated stereo. I liked the panoramic roof. The hatch was nice for loading. I still bought a mazda 3.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/22/16 6:34 a.m.

Heavy, underpowered and the #1 choice of teenage girls followed closely by the Tiburon which was also heavy and underpowered.

If you want an appliance that will be the envy of every high school age girl it's perfect. If you want a fun car pick just about anything else.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/22/16 8:12 a.m.

I had a few Scion friends that had tC's back in the day. I don't remember any issues, although one traded for an xB and the other went to a Subaru Impreza. But the tC's themselves they didn't have issues.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
3/22/16 8:17 a.m.

I autocrossed with few guys who had those. The ones that added boost ended up with reliability issues.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/16 8:19 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Camry Sport Coupe

That is literally what a Toyota Solara is. The tC is more like a Corolla and Camry smushed together into a coupe.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/16 8:34 a.m.

It's a shame that they suck, because they are not bad looking cars. Most that I see are the first car of rich white girls, presents from Mom and Dad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Giai13vqHiwpAnZnWgMEYrDGa1YUSFS1IJ4rtTZApvhePq6ZN594Jtk2sSu3DHNh