Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
10/25/08 4:11 p.m.

Well my 5 year old battery is starting to crap out on me, and with winter coming up I'm due in for a new one.

I'm looking for something that is:

1) Lightweight... I've taken nearly 100lbs off my car already without even touching the interior and I feel like there is definitely a few more pounds to be saved with a new battery. 2) Will start in the cold. As much as I love those tiny braille racing batteries... I don't think they would make it through a Massachusetts winter. I need something that will start every morning. 3) Doesn't cost too much.... I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a new battery.

Is there anything out there that will fit the bill? The car is a 2004 Dodge SRT4 if that matters. Something smaller than the stock battery would be nice too, with a bigger turbo and a 3" intake, the stock battery is wedged in there so tight that it's impossible to take out without removing the intake.

Thanks in advance!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/25/08 5:09 p.m.

DynaBat from Performance Distributors is well loved up here by autocrossers and drag racers alike. Local super-fast SRT4 guy has one even.

I have an Optima in the cop car (lots of electrical load) and an OEM Delco in the Grand Prix GT. The RX-7 is working off of a spare top-post Delco I had around. It will be getting a DynaBat this winter.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/25/08 6:09 p.m.

Deka. They make the Braille batteries. Same battery, half the price. Very grassroots.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/08 8:28 p.m.

Costco, and autozone seem to have ok prices. Just bring a tape measure and know your CCA requirements. If stock is not going to work. Ohya pay close attention to where the +/- poles are (I am sure that you know that) Unforchinitly if you are using it as a DD here in the snow belt would recommend getting the most CCA you can in something that fits in the car. If you are that worried about weight get a cheep very small 12v battery and swap it in when you are racing.

caffecapri
caffecapri New Reader
10/25/08 11:58 p.m.

I bought a small Odyssey for my Miata (PC680) and loved the lightweight aspect, but hated the starting aspect. Fine usually..but if it was cold, forget it and if it sat for a few days, forget it also. Went with a Wesco battery - a bit heavier, but lighter than having to carry jumper cables around with me everywhere.

I kept the Odyssey..will use it ONLY during races. Daily driving...I will keep a real battery.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/08 8:27 a.m.
caffecapri wrote: I bought a small Odyssey for my Miata (PC680) and loved the lightweight aspect, but hated the starting aspect. Fine usually..but if it was cold, forget it and if it sat for a few days, forget it also. Went with a Wesco battery - a bit heavier, but lighter than having to carry jumper cables around with me everywhere. I kept the Odyssey..will use it ONLY during races. Daily driving...I will keep a real battery.

Side note:

The Marathon is the same battery (same manufacturer, different label) as the Westco. It's cheaper, but only has a one year warranty, vs. three for the Westco. I have one of each.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-mazda-miata-battery.html

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/26/08 2:46 p.m.

while not light, I have a DEKA Intimidator in the Saab. should work for hours even if the alternator dies. Same size as stock battery, but it's AGM.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ttfqFYd2kqnQdxR3auRX1N3k3cdUMQ1az8tRDmlR8pejTKJo69oNGyMmeDJdAdwi