1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/21 11:46 a.m.

A few months ago fellow GRMer Jeff Peterson offered up his beloved Range Rover as part of his retirement from the city to the coast and I was the unfortunate friend that got picked to be it's next caretaker. I traded him a $77 bottle of scotch for it and drug it home only to deal with a flood. Since then it's pretty much sat around reducing my property value while I occasionally took it off-roading and marveled at the variety of molds it produced. I finally figured out what to do with it, and that is to make it a super cheap overlanding rig so we can go camping out in the National Parks around here. Here's the intro:

The big issue is the acceleration backfiring/stumble. It accelerates fine at partial throttle and idles perfectly smooth. At full throttle it backfires through the intake, which smells strongly of gas (if you didn't watch the video) even a month after it was last driven. Ideas on where to start for that one?

For the overlanding part, it already has a coil spring conversion and all of the diffs and terrain features work, so really it's getting it ready to haul some gear. I'm thinking steal a shopping cart for the basket and put a kegorator in it. That's what you're supposed to do, right?

mitchfishman5
mitchfishman5 New Reader
2/8/21 12:00 p.m.

I can't be of much service but what I can say is that it is going to be a badass project once it's all cleaned up! yes

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/8/21 12:03 p.m.

I thought this would be a discussion about which would last longer, the scotch or the RR. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/8/21 12:04 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I thought this would be a discussion about which would last longer, the scotch or the RR. 

I have an equally good bottle of scotch that says the scotch wins. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/21 12:10 p.m.

what engine is in it?

2/8/21 12:12 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

4.0 V8

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/21 12:15 p.m.

So you overpaid for a RR is what I'm hearing? Kidding. Great rig to go join the strong Gambler community there in your back yard. I'd be disappoint to not see a 500 video in June

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/8/21 12:21 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

...offered up his beloved Range Rover ... to make it a super cheap overlanding rig

When the GRM 20XX Challenge seems too easy, you take on a real project.laugh

2/8/21 1:10 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

So you overpaid for a RR is what I'm hearing? Kidding. Great rig to go join the strong Gambler community there in your back yard. I'd be disappoint to not see a 500 video in June

It's cheating for the Gambler unfortunately. It's worth well over $500 and was only offered to friends, that's not the spirit of that adventure. Sure would be fun to do as a non-competitor at least.

2/8/21 1:11 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

...offered up his beloved Range Rover ... to make it a super cheap overlanding rig

When the GRM 20XX Challenge seems too easy, you take on a real project.laugh

A 100K mile Audi S4, a 140K mile Porsche Boxster, and a house remodel leave me with too much time on my hands, so I needed to fill the void.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/21 1:14 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Sort of like the Gift of the Magi, once you have the Range Rover, you need the Scotch.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/8/21 1:17 p.m.

No clue but throwing it out there, vacuum leak? Not sure if it runs a MAF, but if so, intake between the MAF and TB. 

2/8/21 1:27 p.m.

A 100K mile Audi S4, a 140K mile Porsche Boxster, and a house remodel leave me with too much time on my hands, so I needed to fill the void.

This one hit close to home if you sub the Boxter for a 92 Corrado and toss a few kids in the mix.

I vaguely remember some high load issues on these can be sunk cylinder liners causing hg issues. Good luck.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

The gamble motto is fun>rules so I'm sure you'd be welcome. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/8/21 1:56 p.m.

Following :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/8/21 2:11 p.m.

If you had just sat down with the bottle of scotch and drank it, your headache would be gone within a day or two.  Rover headache will just keep coming back...

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/21 2:41 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed. I can tell you most of the vehicles at the last Gambler I was at were over $500. Cheap cars yes but not $500. Shoot, finding a $500 car that runs in Denver is impossible almost. A RR with issues is perfect. 

2/8/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Four kids here. All doing virtual school from home. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/21 3:55 p.m.

How do you know the backfire is through the intake? Have you looked at the plugs?

2/8/21 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Four kids here. All doing virtual school from home. 

Ditto! I feel like we are kindered spirits now.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/21 11:12 p.m.

Did that motor Have a tps? Possible that it is not working correctly. They can also be calibrated with a screw and a multimeter. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/9/21 7:15 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said  
It's cheating for the Gambler unfortunately. It's worth well over $500 and was only offered to friends, that's not the spirit of that adventure. Sure would be fun to do as a non-competitor at least.

Real friends don't give Range Rovers to their friends. what did you do to piss him off anyway?

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/21 10:16 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

4.0 V8

4.0 sounds like a GEMS engine,  I only know the "THOR" Bosch system.  It's still relatively simple though,  I would check your crank and cam sensors to make sure eveything is running in sync

2/9/21 10:35 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said  

Real friends don't give Range Rovers to their friends. what did you do to piss him off anyway?

I think I let him drive the Javelin once.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
2/9/21 10:47 a.m.

Pack extra shoes for everyone on board....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mKf29hFUdA66yBG0jg9MlLtu0lGYFU7RW7el3wy1oCzv2sU1cMD39g5FUz4BTRgH