Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/16 9:30 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/bmw-just-quietly-smothered-the-bmw-z4-out-of-production-1785884537

Never drove one. It didn't seem to really find a place in enthusiasts hearts, but I always found them quite fetching - especially the coupe version.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/29/16 9:36 a.m.

They were nice sporty cruisers. I liked them. Better than the Z3 but no where near the Z8. Filled the niche of a very nice softer upscale miata well.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
8/29/16 11:43 a.m.

I didn't understand why they stopped making a hardcore version after the S54 Z4. Either of the last two M3 motors in a Z4 would have been sweet.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 1:14 p.m.

Sadly, many unique and performance cars seem to be going away....seems like we get closer to the car as an appliance all of the time.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/16 1:22 p.m.

Cars have been status appliances for a long time for 99% of the driving population. It's only weirdoes like us here who think otherwise, and we're not really the sort of demographic that makes manufacturers a lot of money.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 1:34 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Cars have been status appliances for a long time for 99% of the driving population. It's only weirdoes like us here who think otherwise, and we're not really the sort of demographic that makes manufacturers a lot of money.

Agree completely.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/29/16 2:25 p.m.

Seems like BMW is slowing going from Ultimate Driving Machine to Ultimate Appliance.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/29/16 2:44 p.m.

I test drove a Z4 M Coupe recently. I had always liked them better than Boxsters, but after driving one, I was underwhelmed. It didn't feel special at all in the way the Boxster does. Maybe it was because it rattled terribly, and this was a cared for low mileage car. This was a good example of why you maybe don't want to drive your dreams. The Z3 M Coupe I drove was vastly more entertaining.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/29/16 2:45 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Seems like BMW is slowing going from Ultimate Driving Machine to Ultimate Appliance.

My dad's late model 3 is a good example, steering in numb, numb, numb.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 2:57 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Seems like BMW is slowing going from Ultimate Driving Machine to Ultimate Appliance.

Sadly, very much true...I no longer lust after them as I once did.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
8/29/16 3:20 p.m.

When I started looking to roll the various functionalities of my built NA Miata and crazy built e36 M3 into one car that would do the roles of both, unmodified, I first considered Z3M Roadsters. Yes, clown shoes are cooler, but it has to do "convertible that has wipers, HVAC and a top that can be erected in less than 15 minutes, unlike my 1962 Sprite". So these Roadsters are pretty cool, but you need to find a later one to get the S54 motor, and nice ones are getting crazily expensive. Z4M Roadsters have the good motor, but the design leaves me cold and the cabin design is from the height of the iDrive era, so, like, no thanks.

Then I drove a really perfect last year 986 Boxster S and was just amazed. The Z4 Roadster seemed like an up-market NC Miata by comparison.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/29/16 4:28 p.m.

I'm always bummed when another sporty car leaves our world. JG and I both have a soft spot for those late M coupes.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/16 4:58 p.m.

I've never really like the Z3/Z4 myself, but it's a shame to see it going away.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/29/16 6:09 p.m.

I've driven both and found the Z3 more lively and the Z4 seemed more of a grown up version of the Miata. I drove a Boxster S this summer (2002) and I loved it. I think it's almost time to sell the Mustang...almost.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
8/29/16 7:54 p.m.

It's a bit of a shame. Why build a sports car when you can build the X1?!

It seemed like BMW stopped caring about them about 10 years ago. I think people didn't realize how capable the Z4 M coupe was. The design never caught on completely, and while the last generation looks good, it got no love for some reason. I think it was too soft for the enthusiasts, and just never seemed to catch on with anyone else. I saw one yesterday and I forgot that they actually are great-looking.

BMW, other than the M2, just seems like they've become more interested in being the Apple of cars, rather than a driver's company.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 8:12 p.m.

Hardly knew you? They made them for 13 years!

Honestly, I didn't even know that they were still selling new ones...and I owned a Z3 until about two months ago.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 9:55 p.m.

I am willing to bet a new one is on the way... I see more Z4s than X1s around here... or even 1 series in general.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
8/30/16 10:19 a.m.

Hm. I think many don't love the direction BMW has taken. I hear the revised 3 series has better steering, etc. The current M3/4 are undeniably fast but I haven't driven one to comment on feel. They're slowly dropping wagons from the US. At least the M2 has a focus on being fun, albeit in porky form. There was a big magazine comparison, can't remember which, between all the 2 series cars and they preferred the 228 for overall fun to drive. Interesting.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/30/16 11:41 a.m.

I always wonder if my lust for like 90s cars and some 80s is nostalgia. I mean I wasn't into cars AT ALL then....

Then things like this show me why. Companies really do not make many interesting cars anymore.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jrpNvRgPpfgEwhuO36ErPCVi8ir57g8FaWoUAx4CVJLycUAIH6ljixNsq1rFAzZV