belteshazzar
belteshazzar New Reader
5/16/08 3:27 p.m.

site looks like poo from my palm phone.

if that matters.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar New Reader
5/16/08 3:29 p.m.

i'm sorry. that wasn't constructive at all.

the pages take forever to load and it 's challenging to navigate.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 3:35 p.m.

Hmmm... don't know what I can do for a palm phone. Can you turn off stylesheets on those things?

What's the model? Maybe I can find an emulator or something.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar New Reader
5/16/08 3:49 p.m.

centro
sweet. thanks for asking!

stylesheets?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 4:03 p.m.

Yeah, it'd probably be under "view" or something. Obviously, I don't know squat about palm phones. What's it use for a browser? Do you know the screen resolution? Trying to figure out what I can do. I'm leaning towards feeding a no-frills version toward it and other not-quite-smart-enough phones. It won't be that pretty, but it should be quite functional.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/16/08 4:21 p.m.

Meh, the old board sucked on my pocket PC too. It runs some version of IE, using Windows Mobile 5.0, I have no idea what the screen resolution is and i don't have the paitence to find it. Most websites just don't translate to palm formats very well.

Crash
Crash Dork
5/16/08 5:14 p.m.

Definitely a very small nitpick, but can you make the numbered page links a bit bigger? Or maybe a button or something? the little double arrows are damn tiny with a high res display.

bludroptop
bludroptop HalfDork
5/16/08 6:15 p.m.

For what it might be worth, the old board was impossible on my Treo.

The avatar and user info would fill the entire screen and the actual post would wind up on the right edge - basically unreadable. Like this:

B

a

si

c

a

ll

y

u

n

r

e

a

d

a

b

le.

And yes, the Palm browser is painfully slow and cumbersome.

At first glance - the new board looks somewhat better - not great, but maybe worth struggling with, when you are stuck at the airport with nothing to do for two hours (which happens to me all the time).

EastCoastMojo
5/16/08 7:30 p.m.

I second a larger font for the pagination links at the bottom, and BluDropTop pegged it with the description of how forums appear on a palm. :grin: I lol'd

belteshazzar
belteshazzar New Reader
5/17/08 10:02 a.m.

werd. :nice:

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 None
5/17/08 4:42 p.m.

I noticed that when you log in from within a thread (like if I want to post a reply but realized oops, wasn't logged in) it takes you to the GRM front page rather than back to where you were... a small thing, but it would be nice to not have to navigate back through the forums again...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/17/08 4:43 p.m.

I agree... and as soon as I figure out how, I'll be changing that.

EastCoastMojo
5/17/08 8:56 p.m.

Thanks for the font upsize :grin:

Is it possible to get the same forum links at the bottom of the page that are at the top? By that I mean where it says Forums>>Grassroots Motorsports>>So what are we still missing?

I would like to either have that duplicated at the bottom of the page, or maybe have that drop down menu thingy where I can select another place on the forums to jump to. It is tedious to have to scroll back to the top to continue getting my browse on.

And thanks again for all of your hard work! :cool:

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
5/19/08 8:28 a.m.

I'll second that suggestion from Mojo... not that scrolling is so hard, but we're a lazy bunch :twisted:

What's the "per page" post limit? Is it based on a post count or a page length?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 8:31 a.m.

I think it's 20. I forget, to tell the truth.

I never thought about more nav at the bottom (I use keyboard commands for up, down, back, etc). Let me think about it.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
5/19/08 8:34 a.m.

I just had a thought... any way to migrate the last, say, 24hours of active subjects over to the new board @ launch? Just to keep the flow of things moving...

Edit- I see you're closing down subjects over there... nevermind then, the activity will migrate itself :grin:

slefain
slefain
5/19/08 9:26 a.m.

I dunno, the bold font is killing me.

And where's the option to add an avatar? How will people know that I'm more metal than them?

edit: Nevermind, I am truly a dork. I found the personal account setting. Dum de dum dum DUM!!!

edit of the edit: No animated gifs for the avatars? Bugger.....

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Member
5/19/08 9:55 a.m.

Spell Check would be nice.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 9:57 a.m.

Woody, I'll be leaving that up to your browser. Good modern browsers like Safari and Firefox have spell checkers built in. Don't know about IE7.

laz
laz
5/19/08 10:59 a.m.

RSS feeds are broken. http://grm.classicmotorsports.net/forum/grm/ gives a 404 :( Also, it'd be nice to have a feed per forum, like the old forums had, so I don't have to see all the offtopic drivel ;)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/19/08 11:49 a.m.

If I click on "quote" and then add post, nothing happens. It comes back to the same quote screen without any additional comments.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 11:58 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: If I click on "quote" and then add post, nothing happens. It comes back to the same quote screen without any additional comments.

Should be OK now.

bravenrace
bravenrace New Reader
5/19/08 12:03 p.m.

Sorry it this has already been mentioned - I'm at work and don't have time to read every post. On the old forum, I really liked the "new posts" option. Anything like that on it's way?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 12:07 p.m.

Already here. You have "latest posts", "new since your last visit",topics with new activity are indicated by a star and if you click the star it takes you to the first new post... or should.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/08 12:07 p.m.

Click on the (>>) on the right.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kFLEmFWka8ZWifJREc1cO0ED7aresVlDKMqskPlAFgyJPrQyiJJRoEyrOHeljDwE