1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 12:36 p.m.

You should never put two spaces after a period unless you're on an old monospaced typewriter. Seriously. That's not even a web thing.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/21/08 1:08 p.m.

Thanks for making the archive available Baxter! I see you fixed the numbered lists. It also looks like the boxes for the spam/vote/quote/reply pictures are smaller, you've been busy! Much better, the boxes around the pictures still seem unnecessary for an otherwise bleak header/footer, but significantly better. FWIW, web stuff always defaults to single space after the period, but many document formats still require double space after the period. After doing tons of school reports, thesis, etc. I'm brainwashed to do double spaces (required in those formats). Don't even get me started on other horribleness like APA formatting...

Bryce

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/21/08 1:11 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: You should never put two spaces after a period unless you're on an old monospaced typewriter. Seriously. That's not even a web thing.

It's how every email I send and the ones I receive from people who know how to type are formatted. I beleive even the estemed magazine single spaces after commas, but double spaces after periods, the way God intended.

BTW - Thanks for the bold names!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 1:16 p.m.

Nope. No double spaces in the magazine. AP style (and most others, but not all) say single space after the period. The only reason two spaces ever came into fashion at all was because of old monospaced typewriters. If you ever want to make an old-school typographer pissed, put two spaces after a period. They're likely to throw some lead type at you. On the web, it's irrelevant, as double spaces are always collapsed, whether anyone likes it or not.

I should mention though, that smart word processors and page layout programs know to put extra space after a period. It's actually a space and a half.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/08 1:53 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: What's the domain you're using?

I am going to http://grm.classicmotorsports.net/forum/, which is the address I thought the old forum directed me to.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/21/08 1:56 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: What's the domain you're using?
I am going to http://grm.classicmotorsports.net/forum/, which is the address I thought the old forum directed me to.

Oh, go straight to grassrootsmotorsports.com like normal... that grm@classic was just a temp, it no longer forwards here...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 1:59 p.m.

Exactly.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/08 2:12 p.m.

ah. my mistake. thanks for the tip

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
5/21/08 2:24 p.m.

If I click on "Latest Posts" I get the Yellow Star to take me to new posts, but If I click on "New Posts" at the top, I see all the new posts, but there is no yellow star.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 2:26 p.m.

Why would there be a yellow star denoting new posts on a page of all new posts?

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
5/21/08 2:50 p.m.

To take you to the new posts?? Otherwise you can click on the title to go to the beginning or the last post to go to the last post.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/21/08 3:49 p.m.

Sweet...I saw sig tests in process! I can only imagine Baxter cussing as he codes...

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 3:57 p.m.

Very observant

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/21/08 4:17 p.m.

Hell, I could hear him cussing several states away. :grin:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 4:20 p.m.

I dunno about cussing, but my brain hurts.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/21/08 4:21 p.m.

Baxter's sig was something like "I hate signatures" or "I hate sigs"...so the feeling seeped through the computer screen pretty quickly. :grin:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/21/08 5:10 p.m.

The post Numbers are missing. It makes referencing back to a post with out quoting it a bit difficult.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 5:16 p.m.

Why don't you just hit the reply button on the post.... referencing back problem solved.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/21/08 5:22 p.m.

This is a test of the "Reply" button.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/21/08 5:23 p.m.

This is another "reply" test... I'm going to see where this goes.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
5/21/08 7:33 p.m.

Tim, I know your probably aware of this but since you might be running out of bugs...

I noticed in the readers ride section that the "sort" feature reorders the posts but not in a recognizable pattern. The sort option on the right hand toolbar seem to work fine, but the ones on top of each column seem to have a mind of their own...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/08 7:37 p.m.

I'm out of Rice Krispies. I checked the FAQ section and found nothing. Am awaiting input.

Seriously, thanks for all the work your doing, It's really coming together.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
5/21/08 11:51 p.m.

Links inside the forums to outside the forums open up some weird browser window (no address bar, among other things).

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/21/08 11:55 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: Tim, I know your probably aware of this but since you might be running out of bugs... I noticed in the readers ride section that the "sort" feature reorders the posts but not in a recognizable pattern. The sort option on the right hand toolbar seem to work fine, but the ones on top of each column seem to have a mind of their own...

Also, although there are clearly more readers' rides than fit on one page, there is no indication that there are any other than the ones that appear when you click on the link. I wouldn't have been aware except that I noticed that several rides, including my own, weren't there.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/21/08 11:56 p.m.

I don't understand how the reply button references back. to me it seems to just drop my reply at the bottom.

This post was a "reply" to Baxter's last post.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MancVmpGuKIoEhkAuMVB7STu3qCGnkRnMkH33CyGz6UHxvFy8LSLl14rziubdvvh