1 ... 6 7 8 9
Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/22/08 2:57 a.m.

The bold names look tons better. Thanks.

• J
Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
5/22/08 6:46 a.m.
Wowak wrote: I don't understand how the reply button references back. to me it seems to just drop my reply at the bottom. This post was a "reply" to Baxter's last post.

The "reply" button will add it to the bottom like a normal reply, it's just located conveniently at every post. Can you imagine the confusion if new posts would be scattered through the thread??

The "quote" button right next to it will add the reply at the bottom with the quoted text from the post.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 6:51 a.m.

>The "reply" button will add it to the bottom like a normal reply, it's just located conveniently at every post.

Exactly. And when you click it, it moves the entire reply form to right below that post, so you can easily reference it while you type.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/22/08 7:16 a.m.

Tim, saw the archive active, you rock!

Is there a way to view the source on old posts? Used to be I would "Quote" then cut-n-paste the complete text including img tags... I wanted to copy some of my old posts, with images, to my new Readers Rides page

Do I need to re-link all those photos? (yes I'm lazy, but I also can't access my photo hosting from my work PC (what, don't you do all your posting from work? :twisted: )

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 7:31 a.m.

You could always "view source" in the browser. Might be tough finding the particular post you want, but it'd work.

You could right-click on the image to get it's address.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/22/08 7:44 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: There's at least three different ways to insert images and links. I'm sure one of them will work for you.

Besides the obvious of using the buttons at the top of the comment box, what are the two others? Does it automatically create a link from a web address? When I did that, the preview pane didn't show it as an active link, like it does when you use the button. But when you use the button, it always puts the links and images at the top of the post. And when I tried to cut and paste in the comment box to put the links where I wanted them in the post, it seemed to berkely up the link. (i.e. add the code for spaces where the word wrap was, if you can visualize what I'm talking about).

Other than that, things seem to be going great. Love the way it looks!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 7:47 a.m.

Chris, if you haven't looked at it, the FAQ is helpful: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-big-new-site-faq/445/page1/

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/22/08 7:53 a.m.

Tim, I'm noticing some wonky log in behavior... I logged in this morning to the board... got dropped, logged in again and got taken to the front page. No big deal.

Went to my Reader's Ride page, still logged in, and picked "edit"... lost login again, asked for log in when I clicked "Edit Ride". All changes lost.

In fact, right now, as I type, the pane to the left says "hello, __"

Edit: Yep, in the post view it shows my name, but in the edit it's blank...

Edit2: OK, apparently there is no way to save the changes to my Reader's Ride? The only button is "Edit Ride" which bounces me to the log in screen, losing any changes I made... :?:

bluej
bluej Reader
5/22/08 11:06 a.m.

moved here to clean up the FAQ Thread i know it's a low priority for you and i definitely understand that but i think it's really worth getting to eventually.

Tim Baxter wrote: **Will there be alternate board schemes with different colors?** Possibly, but unlikely.

can't say that makes me very happy. i very much appreciate all the work you are doing for us but for me it's an issue of legibility. the contrasts of the different colors let me pick the one that was the easiest to read. The new board has a LOT of white space and i find my self having to concentrate hard on the text to read it. has JG been involved with the forum redesign? maybe he could give some input.

again, i very much appreciate how hard you are working on taking care of all of this.

Also, i went to check the staff page looking for the new version of the staff blog. when i clicked on a person, their bio/blog/anything was running off to the right over the dark border. i'm on firefox with 1680x1050 res. if that matters. obviously very low on the priority list but figured you might want to know to get to it when you have some breathing room.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/22/08 3:49 p.m.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the "new car reviews" specs/ratings (in the top, right hand side) is all wonky. On my 1600x1200 screen, the category (engine, horsepower, etc.) doesn't line up with the data (3.5 liter v-6, 268 hp, etc.). If nobody else is seeing the same thing, I can send a screen shot.

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 3:54 p.m.

Yeah, send me a screenshot. Looks fine on this end, but screenshots are good for spotting all kinds of weirdness.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/22/08 4:16 p.m.

Done. I noticed another thing this morning, and I can't find any screwed up settings on my end to explain it. I have my profile set up to open links in a new window; when I click on links they open a new window, but the new windows are always missing the (IE) address bar. This isn't a show stopper, but it is mildly annoying, it seems any new windows opened would use the same default settings used in any new IE window.

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 4:18 p.m.

Still doing it? Thought I fixed that one.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/22/08 4:20 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Done. I noticed another thing this morning, and I can't find any screwed up settings on my end to explain it. I have my profile set up to open links in a new window; when I click on links they open a new window, but the new windows are always missing the (IE) address bar. This isn't a show stopper, but it is mildly annoying, it seems any new windows opened would use the same default settings used in any new IE window. Bryce

Yep - doing it on my end too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/22/08 4:24 p.m.

Should be fixed now. I hope. http://classicmotorsports.net

Edit: Yeah, that should have it.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/22/08 4:30 p.m.

Yup, links open properly now. Thanks.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 12:43 p.m.

Uhhhh....this feels dirty. It's like "Being John Malkovich" weird. I went to update my preferences to ditch the preview window and when I clicked the "My Profile" link on the left of the screen it opens up DILYSI Dave's profile. I logged out and logged back in and it still does it. I didn't clear my cookies and try it again, I'd rather avoid that if I can. Any idears Baxter? Is it just me?

Bryce

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/27/08 12:45 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Uhhhh....this feels dirty. It's like "Being John Malkovich" weird. I went to update my preferences to ditch the preview window and when I clicked the "My Profile" link on the left of the screen it opens up DILYSI Dave's profile. I logged out and logged back in and it still does it. I didn't clear my cookies and try it again, I'd rather avoid that if I can. Any idears Baxter? Is it just me? Bryce

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

GET OUT OF MY PROFILE!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 12:47 p.m.

I know what it is. One minute.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/27/08 12:47 p.m.

BTW - Another one for you Tim - The board doesn't seem to know when I've been away. I'm still getting posts from 2 days ago when I click "New Topics"

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 12:50 p.m.

Thanks Dave. I'll look into that ASAP.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 1:21 p.m.

I see the My Profile link is at the top of the GRM border on the left, but it does lead to my own profile now. :cool: More good news, I can see signatures now. Unfortunately mine disappeared so I got to enter it again, no biggie...I'm curious to see what it looks like on the new forum.

FWIW, the time last visited thing hasn't been working right for me either.

Bryce

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/28/08 7:38 a.m.

Got one for you. On some threads, when I open them up there is a ton of white space under the header with the magazines. You have to scroll down for awhile to actually get to the first post.

Here's a screenshot:

Also note in that thread when a larger image is in it, it moves the links in the nav bar way over to the side.

Secondly, when using the image icon to put an image in, it (usually) puts the image at the top of the post, and you have to cut and paste to move it to where you want it in the post.

Lastly, when typing in the response, as I'm doing here, the preview pane moves around the screen based on what's in it. When I put the screenshot in it, the preview moved from beside the input box to above it. A few times, it's simply made the input box very narrow. Sometimes this causes the text being inputted to jump around as you are typing. It seems that the input box wants to reset to the top of the post, while you are still typing at the bottom of it. It didn't jump around this time, but it did do it yesterday, so maybe that particular bug is already gone.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/28/08 7:39 a.m.

Ahh, after posting that, the same issue cropped up in this page of this thread. A lot of white space at the top that you have to scroll down to get to the first post on the page, and the links on teh nav bar ar pushed all the way over to the left. Maybe something to do with oversized images?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/28/08 8:42 a.m.

Very sharp. It was related to large images.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9AVofVdL46XPPjWcTI0F4P5UwQeGhr71gbfqL3jVBW7kdSdRYNopCS87bLQGYOwc