1 2 3
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 7:30 a.m.
ddavidv said:

The resale value on the TSX wagons shows their popularity. Hard to find and not cheap when you do I couldn't source one for our garage.

The the irony is when I bought my tsx wagon new, they couldn’t give them away. Dealers discounted them very deep. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/19 8:12 a.m.

The second-gen TSX wagon that made it to America is very pretty, but not as pretty as the first-gen TSX (Euro Accord) wagon that never made it here:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/19 8:18 a.m.

I know a Volvo dealer in the region that still has a couple leftover 2017 V60 R-Designs.  I am sorely tempted, even though I don't really need a new car this moment:

The new 2019 is prettier, but A) a lot more expensive, and B) it would be politically helpful to not have the new features that were not available on DW's 2017 S60.

Also, word has it that the 2019-up Volvo wagons will be special order only, I assume to avoid more 2-year-old leftovers.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/19 8:23 a.m.

I'm still waiting for FCA to resurrect the Magnum and stuff a Hellcat engine in it. 

It'll never happen but one can hope right?

Dave M
Dave M Reader
1/9/19 8:24 a.m.

IMHO after spending two weeks with a new Volvo S90 the new Volvos are for people who don't like driving, or cars. They are beautiful and exceedingly comfortable, but full of intrusive electronic nannies that you can't turn off.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/19 8:29 a.m.

Maybe if Buick offered the Insignia wagon here, without the silly Outback treatment, they could pull some sales from BMW and Mercedes.  

pinchvalve
1/9/19 8:30 a.m.

Or this...

pinchvalve
1/9/19 8:32 a.m.

Or the CTS that is so hot over there, especially in V form.

JUST KIDDING!

pinchvalve
1/9/19 8:33 a.m.

I am consoled by the fact that at least we got these: 

I mean, the Hawk of the Skies people!  

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/9/19 8:37 a.m.

Maybe one of the car companies should try advertising a wagon to the masses with something along the lines of "all of the cargo space of your medium sized SUV but with much better gas mileage"

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I think first gen tsx wagon front end is beautiful but rear overhang is hideous

mu 2nd gen tsx front end is ugly but rear and overhang is gorgeous 

ideally 1st gen front + 2nd gen rear would have been perfect 

that said its way better looking than my 1993 Camry wagon and my 97 accord wagon, but nowhere close to the true gorgeousness of my Cressida wagon 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/9/19 9:00 a.m.
NickD said:
Javelin said:

If Mazda made a 6 wagon, or the 5 again, I would buy a new one. Instantly. Looking really hard at the new Volvo's because I'm getting tired of waiting...

They make a 6 wagon, and it's absolute sex, but unfortunately we don't get it here.

Maybe this bit of news changes Mazda's mind.

Ugh I saw them in Europe and Japan when I visited and drooled - this really checks all the boxes for me. I would be happy with FWD too! I like the way the beamer and volvo wagons drive/ride but the maintannce and repair/insurance/overall vehicle cost is not justifyable. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/19 9:04 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I don’t have any problem with the rear of the older model at all!  I wouldn’t change a thing. 

Also, having driven our 2017 S60 a lot, I haven’t found the nannies particularly intrusive. I don’t think I’ve ever felt the stability control or even ABS once. And you can turn off the lanekeeping with 1 button push... or just not buy that option in the first place. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 9:32 a.m.
fidelity101 said:
NickD said:
Javelin said:

If Mazda made a 6 wagon, or the 5 again, I would buy a new one. Instantly. Looking really hard at the new Volvo's because I'm getting tired of waiting...

They make a 6 wagon, and it's absolute sex, but unfortunately we don't get it here.

Maybe this bit of news changes Mazda's mind.

Ugh I saw them in Europe and Japan when I visited and drooled - this really checks all the boxes for me. I would be happy with FWD too! I like the way the beamer and volvo wagons drive/ride but the maintannce and repair/insurance/overall vehicle cost is not justifyable. 

When I was in Japan last month, the Benz CLS wagon was EVERYWHERE . 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 9:32 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I don’t have any problem with the rear of the older model at all!  I wouldn’t change a thing. 

Also, having driven our 2017 S60 a lot, I haven’t found the nannies particularly intrusive. I don’t think I’ve ever felt the stability control or even ABS once. And you can turn off the lanekeeping with 1 button push... or just not buy that option in the first place. 

Different strokes for different folks :)

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/9/19 9:35 a.m.

We got the wife a 2018 Golf Alltrack 6 speed last year. I wish they offered it with the 2.0 vs the 1.8 but a tune wakes them up nicely.  

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
1/9/19 9:35 a.m.

I saw this. Glad to see it but nothing that really works for us. Wife was just saying that she'd rock a wagon in place of her CX-5.    Butttt.... Golf SportWagen is a little small for us, especially backseat for rear facing seats.  Audi Allroad is a little smaller even inside.  The Buick sounds somewhat meh in execution. 

Volvos have gotten sexy but too fancy and $$ for my taste, and the powertrains and Chinese ownership really rub me the wrong way.  BMW cancelled wagon for 2019 and it was on the compact side anyways. Mercedes E is a great size but definitely too fancy/$$$ for my wife to drive. Jaguar...ehh.  Pass. 

What would work for us is a midsize wagon that's not awful to drive but not too nice to use as a kid hauler.  Mazda6 with AWD 2.5 turbo drivetrain would be in our garage if they sold it here.  I do really like the Golf wagons and tried to get her to buy one when we got the CX-5 but she preferred to stick with Mazda after a great Mazda3 experience.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
1/9/19 10:27 a.m.

Saw another article talking about how the wealthy are foregoing the SUV for wagons, too.

Honestly don't blame them. I just wish we had more options when it came to wagons in the States. The Euros, Aussies, and Japanese get the smorgasbord of options. Hell, I'd love to get my hands on the TSX wagon. Looks great, reliable, AND good mpg? Sign me up!

Sad to see BMW is dumping wagons all together for the States. I'll likely never get rid of my E61 because of that.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/19 11:07 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I am consoled by the fact that at least we got these: 

I mean, the Hawk of the Skies people!  

As apposed to The Hawk of the Ground or The Hawk of the Living Room?

Antihero
1/9/19 11:09 a.m.
Klayfish said:

I'm a serious long roof fan too.  Bought nothing but wagons...and a hatch or two...for the longest time.  However, in my recent search there just wasn't a wagon that fit the types of things I was looking for.  That's mostly because the options are incredibly few.

For the hundredth time, I will say...  Dodge, I'm looking at you.  Remember the Magnum of the '00s?  C'mon, how hard could it be?  Leave everything else the same as the current Charger.  Same engine options, ranging from mild V6 to insanely wild Hemi.  Just throw a long roof on it.

I am actually kinda stunned how cheap Magnums are now. I saw a 120k ish miles one for....$1100. Thats pretty damn cheap

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
1/9/19 11:22 a.m.
Klayfish said:

For the hundredth time, I will say...  Dodge, I'm looking at you.  Remember the Magnum of the '00s?  C'mon, how hard could it be?  Leave everything else the same as the current Charger.  Same engine options, ranging from mild V6 to insanely wild Hemi.  Just throw a long roof on it.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The V6 Magnums are basically worthless nowadays. I sold a crusty 2006 3.5L with 155k on it for $1300 a year and a half ago when I bought my Fiesta ST. 

Off to craigslist to find a challenge friendly Magnum.

Antihero
1/9/19 11:39 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to Antihero :

The V6 Magnums are basically worthless nowadays. I sold a crusty 2006 3.5L with 155k on it for $1300 a year and a half ago when I bought my Fiesta ST. 

Off to craigslist to find a challenge friendly Magnum.

Im not sure what engine was in it, it was off Facebook Marketplace in a very short amount of time but....interesting.

Not sure i really want to roll the dice on 2000s dodge but.....

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
1/9/19 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Wiscocrashtest :

I still wonder if newer panels fit on these considering not much changed through the years frame-wise.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/19 12:09 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Maybe one of the car companies should try advertising a wagon to the masses with something along the lines of "all of the cargo space of your medium sized SUV but with much better gas mileage"

People who want an SUV for the image don't care about gas mileage, and people who actually need an SUV are willing to put up with it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qsK6qXO3CbQO9lpiwIXxRmu1A0BpsoEvTGyACLYlKky7BYm84JiOfmL7IHr3Fkr8