golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/7/13 2:12 p.m.

I have a soft spot for 3000gt/stealths, so this is slightly appealing-

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3600371748.html

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/7/13 2:18 p.m.

damn, there is an amazon for sale locally that's gorgeous, but he wants $4k for it...

Otherwise, it's perfect!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/7/13 2:45 p.m.
Jerry wrote: 2000 Eclipse GT Didn't say if it was 5sp or auto, but my 93 Talon was a hoot to drive!

3rd-gen Eclipses share name only with 1st and 2nd-gens. IIRC, the Eclipse of that vintage shares chassis with the hardtop Chrysler Sebring.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/13 4:13 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: B13 SE-R

For uniqueness I would also add the SE-Rs cousin the NX2000. Kinda bug eyed 90s goodness. SR20DE plus T-Tops.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
2/7/13 4:16 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: there are a couple Yugos on Detroit CL right now...

Ever drive a Yugo? I wouldn't teach my worst enemy to drive stick in one, most tractors have a more precise shifter and better pedal arrangement. Im used to such things, but most people aren't.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/7/13 4:19 p.m.

Taught my wife on a 1st gen. Integra. She HATED that car when I bought it, but slowly fell in love with it. Still talks about it today. Hates me for selling it. I bought it for $750(?) Sold it for ~$1500 a few years later. It really was a great little car. Rev the E36 M3 out of it and side step the clutch. Then slow the whole process down slowly from there.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/7/13 4:20 p.m.

1st gen Saturn SC2, or 1995 Wagon.

They are cheap as chips, much more fun to drive than you'd expect, and the 95 Wagon has the cool wedgy shape, but with the better interior.

That or an AMC--- they are everywhere and basically free!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/7/13 4:21 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: That or an AMC--- they are everywhere and basically free!

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

lnlds
lnlds Reader
2/7/13 4:24 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
lnlds wrote: http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3545599214.html May be newer and more 90s styled than the rest of the choices but it is a solid choice and can be quite the looker when cleaned up
DAT MOTOR. OP needs to get this and then straight pipe it. It'll turn heads, all right.

And of course bolt on a klg4 manifold too

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
2/7/13 4:35 p.m.
golfduke wrote: something 'whoa, what the hell is that?'...

That requirement puts Merkur XR4Ti on a short list.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
2/7/13 5:03 p.m.

I would've suggested my 94 Probe GT, but it might as well be a Camry if you're into that Alfa.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/7/13 6:56 p.m.

Turbo Caravan.

Learn to drive on it, haul the family around, carry plywood, and when the kids leave it makes a killer sleeper drag racer!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/7/13 8:16 p.m.
golfduke wrote: I have a soft spot for 3000gt/stealths, so this is slightly appealing- http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3600371748.html

Fast, 3000gt, and SL do not belong in the same sentence.......I believe Alfa is the droid you are looking for.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/7/13 10:26 p.m.

Have you driven one? A 3000gt SL/5spd is faster than an alfa 164. Fast fast? Not really. It's a few tenths behind a stock 3.0 SHO in the 1/4. So what does that make it? Certainly not slow.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
2/7/13 11:06 p.m.
lnlds wrote: http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3545599214.html May be newer and more 90s styled than the rest of the choices but it is a solid choice and can be quite the looker when cleaned up

And ask the seller to keep that pic stuck in the instrument cluster! Adds at least 15HP!

lnlds
lnlds Reader
2/7/13 11:16 p.m.

Also maybe scrounge around for svt contours

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3598883167.html

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 12:18 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Have you driven one? A 3000gt SL/5spd is faster than an alfa 164. Fast fast? Not really. It's a few tenths behind a stock 3.0 SHO in the 1/4. So what does that make it? Certainly not slow.

Are we going by real world sho 1/4 times(14.5-15.3 range) or the magazine times(15.4-15.9 range)? .......I have driven both a SL 3000 and a R/T Stealth(Mind you, the duratec sable I had at the time would take the SL) The twin turbo ones are fast, the SL's aren't. I still stand behind my statement that "Fast, 3000gt, and SL" don't belong in the same sentence.

The alfa is the obvious choice if he wanted to stand out(as he voiced), I have only seen one of those on the road before

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/13 1:20 a.m.

Volvo 122 Amazon. Do it.

I'm loving mine.

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/8/13 8:00 a.m.

This one is also interesting...

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3599051936.html

He did mention something about motor mount rot being repaired though, which makes me leery. Rear fenders are the only other rust spot per him. Worth it?

And I have probably too much knowledge about stealths/3kgt's too. I know exactly what I'm getting into if I were to go down that road. Not fast, but they sure do feel and sound the part, haha.

The 164 is still in high consideration, but the distance in getting there in the near future could pose a problem.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
2/8/13 9:05 a.m.

Wow! As much as I'd like to sell you the Alfa, even I couldn't fault you for jumping on that Z...

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/8/13 9:23 a.m.

Even this Toyota fan would be tempted by that Z!

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
2/8/13 10:55 a.m.

Welp, sorry Mr. Gearhead... I just took some PTO to go and take a look at it, and put a deposit on it. Aside from a poor rust repair job on one of the rear wheel wells, the car looks pretty good. There is some structural repairs done to the frame, but it looked to be of reasonable quality and the rest of the body was solid-ish.

Interior was surprisingly clean, aside from the drivers seat. The car only runs on 1 carb though, but it does run and move...

I got him down to $900, but that was it. All in all, it will come home with me on Monday.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/8/13 12:17 p.m.

Sounds like problem solved. Assuming you get through the 3' of snow on Monday.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/13 12:59 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Are we going by real world sho 1/4 times(14.5-15.3 range) or the magazine times(15.4-15.9 range)? .......I have driven both a SL 3000 and a R/T Stealth(Mind you, the duratec sable I had at the time would take the SL) The twin turbo ones are fast, the SL's aren't. I still stand behind my statement that "Fast, 3000gt, and SL" don't belong in the same sentence.

By the standards of the day, the 3000GT SL with the 220hp DOHC motor had enough grunt to be fun, they definitely weren't slow. The 160hp SOHC version that they sold for a while -- THAT was slow.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 3000GT of any kind though. Heavy, complex, difficult to work on, expensive parts that are prone to failure -- it's everything people say they hate about Audis, except without the redeeming qualities. :)

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/8/13 4:27 p.m.
RossD wrote: Mid '70s Ford Granada with 3 on the tree. http://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/3561535410.html Holy crap, they lowered the price.....

I blew up one of these years ago.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PMRlGS1A9i1ZuPLTZPT0BQH4NkLcfHHc4kQBCaWH10NZLAif2LREXFiwtFpMxlAy