bond007
bond007 New Reader
11/27/23 1:50 p.m.

I've been down this path several times to build a V-mount setup for my Mazdas (which is why I'm not using something more "off the shelf"). In the past, I've sourced a generic radiator and customized the outlets but it ends up looking really "hacky" with all the patches. So, this go-round, I really want to put something together that looks more purpose built and "engineered".

I seem to be unable to find the right set of search keywords on Google, eBay, etc. to find just a source for just a radiator core that I can TIG what are very easily sourced 1/8" aluminum U-profile for the end tanks and any of the copious scrap aluminum plumbing bits I already have in my fabrication parts bin at the appropriate orientation to connect to the engine.

It seems crazy to me that I can't find anyone or anywhere (online) that will just sell me a core.

The one potential contact (in China) for one wants to charge $100 more for the core dimensions I specified than a complete radiator with a larger core (more rows). frown 

The only other option I'm coming across is to just cut off whatever I don't want (end tanks and rows of tubes) on an already made radiator that has the desired correct tube length...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/23 2:57 p.m.

I'd call up AFCO. They'll do a mostly-custom radiator for you and I'll bet they'd sell a core. Griffen might as well also.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/23 4:38 p.m.

I did something similar to your plan. I will get the information for the company I used and post it here  later (don't recall the name off the top of my head). They are based in Alabama and sell heat exchanger cores as well as completely built units. The website was not easy to search for core sizes, but the details on each core are complete with all the info you need to get what you want. The bare cores have header plates already welded/brazed to the ends of the tubes, so you just have to fabricate you own header tanks and weld them on.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/23 4:42 p.m.

Found it!

radiator cores, no header tanks

C G & J Heat Transfer, Gadsden. AL

bond007
bond007 New Reader
11/27/23 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

A _VERY_ familiar name. wink Thanks for the suggestions. It has been a hot minute (years) since I was on the Miatapower list.

bond007
bond007 New Reader
11/27/23 6:06 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Thank you! No prices listed, so I guess I have to call them to see what they want for a suitable core... 

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
11/27/23 6:32 p.m.

I used one of these kits, and was pretty happy with the results. They have end tanks, but you just weld the stuff on where you want it. https://www.northernradiator.com/HIGH_PERFORMANCE/SEARCH_BY_CATEGORY/CUSTOM_RADIATOR_KITS/RADIATORS/ALL

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/27/23 7:04 p.m.

Not cheap but C&R / PWR will sell you cores, custom make you a core...whatever you need. By far and away some of the best cores in the industry... 

bond007
bond007 New Reader
11/29/23 12:39 p.m.

Continuing to follow-up here so that anyone looking in the future can reference this.

I got a hold of Griffin. They will not sell a core.

CG&J makes them (from scratch) on premises using their own brazing furnace.

Can anyone point to a specific experience or technical detail in a US core to warrant what appears to be 3x the cost for a US made radiator core?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 12:49 p.m.

Hand made to custom specs is always more expensive than mass produced, regardless of country of origin. But I'll bet you'll have an easier time reaching CG&J if you have questions or problems.

Email me at keith@flyinmiata.com, I can give you the name of someone at AFCO who might be able to help you order a core from them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
11/29/23 1:44 p.m.

Check with a local radiator repair shop? The few in Flint have a catalog full of copper/brass cores. They probably know how to find aluminum cores

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F4DDPGDkV1Nd4h8SaZIIeB7IWuzPy9aUt17htiPyBzh9YiTrr287NqUZtzJetBIJ