Jethro
Jethro New Reader
10/15/10 12:37 p.m.

Hey guys and gals looking for advise for a spec roadracing tire. Looking for something inexpensive, long wearing, available, and DOT approved.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/15/10 12:48 p.m.

Are you designing the series? If no, don't you have to use whatever tires the rules specify?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/15/10 1:03 p.m.

Love to help, but we need more info.

Jethro
Jethro New Reader
10/15/10 5:42 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath: Designing a series? Well not really, well kinda......lol. Guess I am writing the proposal (rules) for a entry level class. Rules are based on showroom stock but cars eligibility is based on IT rules, so a new racer can get involved with a say 1999 Golf, and simply add the required safety gear, upgrade the pads, and hopefully add a spec tire that performes well and wears well too, kinda an oxy moron i know...haha. Then after a year or so said racer can upgrade the car to IT specs. Our region is suffering for new people and $$$ is the biggest motivator, so an entry level class for the blue collar worker is needed. So looking for a DOT tire to fit say a dodge neon, a VW golf and a Honda Civic, they seem to the popular cars being thrown around by people interested in getting involved with this proposal.

Did that clear it up or make it worse.....lol.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/10 5:44 p.m.

How about a street tire, like the Dunlop Star Specs or Bridgestones? Or just adopting the ST tire rules, except no shaving.

Jethro
Jethro New Reader
10/15/10 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Gimp:

Looking at the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, but may be too hard. Not sure the Star Spec comes in a small enough size, and price is the big issue. What is the ST rules?

pitbull113
pitbull113 New Reader
10/15/10 7:02 p.m.

nitto nt-01

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/15/10 8:06 p.m.
pitbull113 wrote: nitto nt-01

Or Toyo RA1

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/10 8:30 p.m.

The Star Spec can be had all the way down to 14" (three different sizes too IIRC) and all the way up to 18", and they are affordable and grippy.

ST is "Street Touring", a category of street-car classes for SCCA Solo Autocross.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/15/10 8:54 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Or Toyo RA1

It really just makes sense IMO, this is the de-facto spec tire. The fact of the matter is, it shouldn't cost that much more, especially if you adopt a spec-miata friendly size so people can buy used takeoffs!

Jethro
Jethro New Reader
10/15/10 9:18 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy: The Toyo RA1 is not available in Canada at the moment, the Dunlop Star Spec wasn't showed in the sizes I was looking for on the site I was on, but i now see them. This looks like a good tire for the money. I want to keep tire costs to $100 per and have them last longer than most R-Compound DOT race tires.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/10 9:45 p.m.

Star Spec (or any of the ST tires; Falken Azenis Rt-615K, Hankook RS-3, etc, etc) will work then!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/10 8:12 a.m.

I have been really impressed with the life of the Star Specs that many of our club members are running.

RIP, RA1 :( -- note to Toyo -- please make them available again in Canada, with the same types of generous discounts you offer us on R888s.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p4XLCtOrOWgTT88EdmeeWSAurITaB1eQGrtvueoKpAUTP5Z6uixhIE6ISh8wjcuV