1 2 3 4
Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
5/5/12 3:16 p.m.
frenchy wrote:
Max_Archer wrote: I've never ever seen a WRX that came from the factory with painted skirts. I've seen a few that have been painted by owners and it looks really nice. If yours are really factory, it's just about the most rare option I've ever heard of for the car.
To be honest I really don't know if it came that way or the if the previous owner did it. I kind of doubt he did because he didn't seem like an enthusiast. College professor in his 50's. Sold it because he got a Prius. Maybe I'll look for the window sticker and see what it says. FWIW this is an early '02. The sticker on the door jamb says it was built in October of '01. It's got other odd or rare things like the radio antenna being on the roof and it has the narrow seats that were later widened for fat Americans.

Was it only early-build ones that had that antenna? My '02 Sedan had the same one, and the narrow seats as well.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/5/12 3:24 p.m.

I have had a couple BMW wagons....

The e46 xi was boring and pretty slow and didn't get that great of gas milage. It was very practical tho and drove nice. I might have liked it better if it was only RWD.

I had an e34 wagon...s52 5 speed, sport seats, it was pretty great actually. Then I wanted more power so I turboed it...then I thought I needed a more practical DD and I bought the e46.

Bah!! Who needs practical.

I really would like an e39 wagon someday with a LQ4 and an automatic for a kid hauler.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/5/12 3:30 p.m.
Max_Archer wrote:
frenchy wrote:
Max_Archer wrote: I've never ever seen a WRX that came from the factory with painted skirts. I've seen a few that have been painted by owners and it looks really nice. If yours are really factory, it's just about the most rare option I've ever heard of for the car.
To be honest I really don't know if it came that way or the if the previous owner did it. I kind of doubt he did because he didn't seem like an enthusiast. College professor in his 50's. Sold it because he got a Prius. Maybe I'll look for the window sticker and see what it says. FWIW this is an early '02. The sticker on the door jamb says it was built in October of '01. It's got other odd or rare things like the radio antenna being on the roof and it has the narrow seats that were later widened for fat Americans.
Was it only early-build ones that had that antenna? My '02 Sedan had the same one, and the narrow seats as well.

My 02 wagon was the same, I never checked the build date though so it could have been early.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
5/5/12 11:28 p.m.

Guess I really don't know. I thought some of that stuff was 02 only making it kind of rare but not really. Not really sure. I know the later ones got wider seats and the antenna was in the rear glass.

Craigloveswagons
Craigloveswagons New Reader
5/6/12 1:33 p.m.

Wrx Wagon owners, I have a question?

I have not driven a wrx in the city very much, just on short test drives on open roads. What are they like to live with in the stop and go of the city?

I recall them having quite a bit of lag but that seemed to not necessarily be a bad thing. When I drove slowly in the little traffic there was, I didn't need lots of power and keeping up with traffic was easy under 3000 rpm.

Then when the road opened up, that's when the revs and power became fun.

Do you guys have a problem with the turbo lag? Do you need to mod one or is it fine to live with being stock?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/12 1:46 p.m.

I never had a problem with turbo lag. I enjoyed mine bone stock.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
5/6/12 3:01 p.m.

They are fine in the city. Lag is there and if your not paying attention you can catch yourself flat footed but it's not really an issue once you get used to it.

Craigloveswagons
5/6/12 4:34 p.m.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44120&endYear=2013&sortBy=makemodelASC&showcaseOwnerId=566809&startYear=1981&bodyStyles=WAGON&firstRecord=26&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=50&maxPrice=15000&listingId=321058056&Log=0

This looks nice, if a bit overpriced. The carfax shows a lot of recent maintenance including the t-belt.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/12 5:34 p.m.

Craigloveswagons
5/10/12 6:45 a.m.

Seeing as though there has been some discussion on these, I found a nice one for sale locally:

1998 V70R 95k miles $7500, nice

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2992319574.html

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/12 8:45 a.m.

The WRX is a hatchback. Subaru made a couple of great true wagons however:

Forester XT:

Legacy GT:

Unfortunately, both turbo versions are hard to come by and hold their prices well

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ufyr6TJcUM8KMEWWN959u23cobR0nRfWiJPnQPVi93RNYTT6Tlo2kuqESE5QZcki