1 2 3
924guy
924guy HalfDork
11/5/08 9:31 p.m.

Okay, so how about a thread about oddball tools you didn't know you needed?

have you got one of these in your tool box???

Its a castellated nut removal tool , fits vw, porsche, maybe some audi...breaks nuts free that are torqued to 250 pound plus... you can beat it with a hammer, or plug in a breaker bar, id be lost without it on my cars. before i found it, id broken half a dozen breaker bars and once even used the very dangerous "drive with breaker bar attached and hope it breaks free without killing you or causing serious damage to the car" method. it worked, but after the bar cracked the nut loose, it broke and a piece sunk over an inch into a near by tree..

doc_speeder
doc_speeder New Reader
11/5/08 10:19 p.m.

I was in a pinch, and made a spanner wrench for my VW 16v timing belt tensioner out of a dinner fork. I always intended to buy the proper wrench, but several timing belts later, its still around.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
11/5/08 11:33 p.m.

As a confirmed tool junkie, I have tools that I don't know what they are for.

I owned 3 sets of safety wire pliers vefore I knew what they were.

As a genetic packrat I still have G-G-Granddads woodworking tools.

Some of my most used tools are modified or created tools. My box end wrench with a crack in it that slips at the correct torque for the rockerarms on an Austin Healey. The little "gimme" screwdriver with a hook bent in it that is perfect as a scraper during O-ring replacement or separating a stuck radiator hose. Test probes hooked up to a buzzer. 3 2x4s duct taped together that give my floor jack an extra 3 1/2, 4 1/2 or 6 inch lift.

Brother has a cool 2 ended impact socket that has the 2 best sizes for wheel lug nuts.

I often buy a box of tools from a yard sale or auction and end up with odd or special tools that I suddenly wonder how I lived without.

Bruce

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
11/6/08 7:00 a.m.

I have to go survey my shed and toolboxes for suitably weird candidates. I am certain I can contribute a properly arcane implement.

I predict this will be one of the best GRM threads ever; we love our tools, especially the "special" ones.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/6/08 7:12 a.m.

I've got a tool to remove the rear seal of a 215 cube aluminum V8 Buick motor. Get to use it one time and store it for 22 years.

Anybody need one?

car39
car39 Reader
11/6/08 7:39 a.m.

A jeep hood release cable handle formed into a hook to remove the clips from Volvo and Subaru crank window handles. I used to install stereos at a dealership, this tool worked everytime. It was made for me by and oldtimer with over 40 years as a mechanic.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/6/08 7:53 a.m.

A deepwall impact socket machined to slide into the recess of a BMW tailshaft on a Getrag 260 that comes in handy everytime I replace a leaky seal

A perfectly bent screwdriver for adjusting the take-up on old Chevy drum brakes

A male hex set made by cutting up good allen wrenches, used for removing diff and trans drain plugs on E30s and E36s

Home made cam alignment tool for M50/52 and S50/52 BMW VANOS motors

A modded Milwaukee sawzall guide bar with a protruding screw and a slotted metal mitre box with a V-plate and C clamp welded to it for clean cuts in round tubing.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/6/08 8:01 a.m.

Umm I have these "E" sockets followed by numbers. Pretty damn odd, no one I know really knows what they are for. Something cool taht I do have are alan key sockets. Waaaaayyyy better than using the alan key wrenches. I also have a castle nut remover, it's mandatory for some Hondas. I also have what I call a "rubix" cube tool for pushing in certain types of caliper pistons.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/6/08 8:08 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I also have what I call a "rubix" cube tool for pushing in certain types of caliper pistons.

I have one of those... bought it for my wife's old Acura and have used it numerous times. I aways forget I have it until about 2 minutes into trying to push the piston back in with a giant C clamp.

CoryB
CoryB Reader
11/6/08 8:20 a.m.

I've got the rubix cube tool too - I got it to fix the rear brakes on my son's girlfriend's Prelude.

I have a pair of bolts with the heads cut off and screwdriver slots sawed in. They go in the top two holes of a Honda engine block to allow the transmission to align properly when reinstalling it after a clutch job.

I have a weird special J-shaped tool that was used to replace the cam shims on early style VW Rabbit engines when adjusting the valves along with a dual-ended go/nogo feeler gauge. I also have a special allen wrench for adjusting the CIS fuel mixture (VW mechanic in a past life.)

I have an entire drawer in my toolbox devoted to the weird special tools that don't fit with any other normal tool. Cut off speedometer cables, bolts with three sides of the heads ground to fit weird socket sizes, assorted bent screwdrivers, etc.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/6/08 8:31 a.m.

I have a 'handout' straight blade screwdriver cut down to approx 1 1/4" with a piece of vacuum hose safety wired to it for adjusting the idle mixture screw on flat slide Keihin and Mikuni carbs.

Two pieces of flat bar stock with holes in the middle and a short piece of 1/4" allthread used to lock the cam gears on a 907 so it won't jump time while replacing the timing belt.

Various grindered, bent, folded, spindled and mutilated cheapie box and flat end wrenches for different jobs. The most recent was a 7/16" box end cut to about 1 1/2" long to loosen/tighten the throttle stop screw on George Walton's Cosworth Vega. All those go in a cardboard box I refer to as 'the island of misfit toys'.

I have a 1/4" drive nut driver with a flex cable which a friend once referred to as a 'Martha Stewart tool'. The name stuck. It has a melted spot on the side of the handle from the time I forgot it and it sat on top of the J-H's exhaust for about ten miles.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
11/6/08 8:39 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Umm I have these "E" sockets followed by numbers. Pretty damn odd, no one I know really knows what they are for.

External Torx? I have a set I used on my BMW to remove the bumper and for a couple other odd jobs.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/6/08 8:43 a.m.

Oh, I forgot...

Homemade toe gauge - 2 pieces of 1" flat bar overlapped so they slide - bound with formed wire... with two scribes welded at the ends.

Modded milk jug, cut to fit under exhaust with hose in place of cap for draining the block on BMW E36s w/o flooding the garage

Modded tire pressure tool, fitted with brake reservoir cap for 1 man brake bleeding.

11mm 12 point box wrench with 18" handle welded to it for removing the top engine-to-trans bolt on an E30 M20 motor.

Slide hammer attachment for fitting most BMW pilot bearings made from larger one for SBC + bench grinder

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
11/6/08 8:53 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: I have a 'handout' straight blade screwdriver cut down to approx 1 1/4" with a piece of vacuum hose safety wired to it for adjusting the idle mixture screw on flat slide Keihin and Mikuni carbs.

We could probably do a whole separate thread just on "tools I've made from a cheap screwdriver"

I have one flat blade screwdriver with a slot I cut in the side of the flat...I did it many years ago and I know it had a purpose....but I'll be danged if I can remember what that purpose was.

I have another that is ground to a fine point and bent at an angle to help pull out cotter pins. Yeah, I know they make a tool for that but I had a cheap screwdriver handy at the time I needed it.

So many specialty tools, mostly for VWs I wouldnt know where to start.

Oh and of course there's the "breaker bar" a 10 ft section of galvanized pipe I found laying out back of my old shop that just sits in the corner for those really tough bolts. Whever someone asks if I have a breaker bar I just point...in most cases its own weight is enough to break anything free.

My friend has a similar tool that he has had for a long time that is known by all as "the sunbeam tool" because it was made from a piece of exhaust tubing from an old sunbeam alpine.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
11/6/08 9:03 a.m.
914Driver wrote: I've got a tool to remove the rear seal of a 215 cube aluminum V8 Buick motor. Get to use it one time and store it for 22 years. Anybody need one?

ME! I work on Rovers and would love to have one that the shop monkeys can't bugger up.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
11/6/08 9:33 a.m.

I have an original in the Mazda bag tool for installing rotors with the seals in place into the housing, sorta like the piston ring tool.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/08 9:41 a.m.

I have flat steel 1 1/4 inch crow foot wrench from Grumman. I don't know what they used it for but it fits under the spur gears to loosen the pinion nut on a quick change rear so that if you blew the case apart you can still disassemble it and reuse the pieces after you weld the center section back together.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/6/08 9:52 a.m.

yes the external torx! That's why the kid I work with that has a E30 and two E36s eyeballs that drawer of my toolbox all the time, he has never said anything though.....

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/6/08 9:58 a.m.

oooo I almost forgot, I took one of those long "spider claws" and soldered a small magnet to the middle of it so I can grab stuff with the magnet and claws all at once. The claw doesn't fully retract back in, but that doesn't really matter. I was tired of trying to grab something wtih a magnet and the claw at the same time, now I just have one tool that does everything.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
11/6/08 10:04 a.m.

I believe I still have the special tool to remove the alternator from the inside of the tranny case of a Honda 600.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/08 10:08 a.m.

Like anyone who's ever worked as a bicycle mechanic, I have several sharpened spokes in my toolbox. Never underestimate the value of a good poking tool.

At FM, we have a crankshaft holder made out of a chunk of steel strap. Not pretty, but works perfectly. We also have a battered socket that's the perfect size for pushing out differential bushings.

I know there's more weird stuff in the toolbox, I just can't think of it right now...

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
11/6/08 10:17 a.m.

I got one of these from a mail order catalog back in the 90's for $70. Now HF sells a fragile knock off for $20, but it has a lifetime warranty..When it works, its really cool! If you don't hold it perpendicular, the torque will crack the case.

I made a valve keeper instillation tool out of an old cracked 15mm socket by cutting a window in the side. Used with a giant C clamp worked great on neon's dohc heads.

Have allot of specialty tools for dad's model a and some flat head valve tools my grandfather gave me.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
11/6/08 10:20 a.m.

(its a geared reduction for removing lug nuts that won't budge)

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/6/08 10:25 a.m.

I have an old wooden salad fork that I use to dig old cam cover gaskets out of Saturn cam covers that have RTV gaskets. It's tongs are the exact width of the gasket channel, and it's wooden, so it won't scratch the soft aluminum.

That's really the only homebrew tool I have.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/6/08 10:27 a.m.
Keith wrote: Never underestimate the value of a good poking tool.

And I thought the thread title was funny enough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NPxwC0hXMA9e2Q3Q2xTUr4S8AawulfCZrPr5yT2gOli1QGZ4cYoAcBBVwRYmGoDL