1 2 3
slefain
slefain Dork
11/13/09 8:25 a.m.

My neighber, a long time Subaru owner made that comment to me last night. My wife was looking over their Outback as a possible new mommy-mobile candidate. The husband said "well they are pretty much the Japanese equal of a Volvo". I started thinking about it and it makes sense. Kinda stodgy styling for several years and supposed rock solid reliable. I admit I only like Subie wagons, but now I may look a little harder for one as the wife's new driver.

mw
mw Reader
11/13/09 8:52 a.m.

I always thought of them as the japanese Audi. They are both big fans of awd. Both like turbos, both make mostly sedans and wagons. The main difference is subarus rust and audi's break.

My 90 legacy sedan when parked beside my friend's audi 5000 looked to be copied completely.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
11/13/09 8:55 a.m.

Since they are far closer related, I would call them a Japanese Saab.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/09 9:21 a.m.

I also think the Saab link is more fitting.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/13/09 9:30 a.m.

Japaneese Volvo = Rolro...

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/13/09 9:30 a.m.

I see both side of the argument but I will say Subaru - Volvo, at least in the wagons.
Reasons being
Legacy wagon - V70 wagon
Outback wagon - Volvo Cross Country

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/09 9:35 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I see both side of the argument but I will say Subaru - Volvo, at least in the wagons. Reasons being Legacy wagon - V70 wagon Outback wagon - Volvo Cross Country

Legacy Wagon - Audi Avant

Outback Wagon - Audi Allroad

mw
mw Reader
11/13/09 9:51 a.m.

in the last 20 years have there been any subarus or audis that have not been available with awd? Can you say the same for volvos or saabs?

RossD
RossD HalfDork
11/13/09 9:59 a.m.

How about Subaru is the japanese-non-luxury version of audi... Then that makes sense to me. I get the Volvo, but not the Saab...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/13/09 10:07 a.m.

I see the similarities until you come to the styling and interior:
Volvo - Simple elegant lines. Hewn from Granite with stunning attention to detail
Subaru - Design by blind gorillas then dropped through an ugly tree. Interior thrown together with rejects from Fisher Price and detailed by 2nd graders

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/13/09 10:10 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I see both side of the argument but I will say Subaru - Volvo, at least in the wagons. Reasons being Legacy wagon - V70 wagon Outback wagon - Volvo Cross Country

+1 After working the Detroit auto show for a few years and having an XC70 to take home and use for a week. It reminded me a lot of an Outback. It just cost about $10k more.

drc
drc New Reader
11/13/09 10:11 a.m.

I agree with the volvo moreso than the audi. When I think of audi, I think AWD, leather, and maintainence nightmare. Only one of those carries over to Subaru.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
11/13/09 10:28 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Japaneese Volvo = Rolro...

No, that pronunciation is Astro, the dog from the Jetson's. I think you were looking for Borubo (bo-roo-bo).

car39
car39 Reader
11/13/09 10:32 a.m.

The XC70 was "inspired" by the Outback. The XC70 project manager visited the dealership I work for, took pictures and measurements of the first Outbacks to use as a guide for the XC70. Both cars have been very successful, similar, but different.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/13/09 10:35 a.m.
Type Q wrote:
No, that pronunciation is Astro, the dog from the Jetson's. I think you were looking for Borubo (bo-roo-bo).

Touche Sir...

slefain
slefain Dork
11/13/09 12:40 p.m.
Type Q wrote:

Tralfaz?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
11/13/09 1:25 p.m.

Take this with however many grains of salt you wish, but as a XC70 owner, I've had no less than 6 Subaru owners tell me that they wanted a Volvo but settled for the Subie.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/13/09 1:34 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Since they are far closer related, I would call them a Japanese Saab.

Yep... pop the hood of an old Saab 95 or 96 and if you have any knowledge of older Subarus, you'll go, "damn..." Even more so if you go dig up pictures of 70's Subarus...

As far as Volvo-like reliability? I don't know... the older ones sure do rust away like older Volvos... although I still see a lot more 80's vintage Volvos running around than 80's vintage Subies...

When my mother's 85 GL wagon was totalled by an 18 wheeler back in '93, the car was pretty much on it's last legs... at 135K miles, the engine was noticeably 'tired"...

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
11/13/09 11:17 p.m.

as long as you stay far away from the 2.5 motors, you wouldn't have a problem

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/13/09 11:32 p.m.

having owned a couple of volvos and currently a WRX, I don't see much, if any, similarities

Volvo = slow Subaru = fast (has volvo ever made a car that could beat a WRX, much less an STi?)

Volvo = RWD Subaru = AWD

Volvo = good quality interior with terribly boring styling Subaru = marginal quality interior that all your friends think looks cool

The only similarities I see is the safety aspect. Volvo is arguably the safest Euro car, and Subarus are arguably the safest Jap cars.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/13/09 11:36 p.m.

btw, love all the subaru hate here. Ironic that a board that is devoted to "motorsports" there is so little love for Subarus, which are seen at damn near any kind of motorsports event from rally to autocross to rallycross to track to hillclimbs......

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/13/09 11:47 p.m.
irish44j wrote: btw, love all the subaru hate here. Ironic that a board that is devoted to "motorsports" there is so little love for Subarus, which are seen at damn near any kind of motorsports event from rally to autocross to rallycross to track to hillclimbs......

I betcha that almost anybody who has posted here has either
A) Owned a Subaru
B) Plans on owning a Subaru
OR
C) Has recommended a Subaru to someone.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
11/14/09 2:39 a.m.

After owning this succession of volvo's: 544, 145, 142, 145, 142, and 145 I purchased a fwd subie impreza after driving every other econo box in my price range. The reason I bought it was becuse it felt like the volvo: Tough as nails (which it proved to be), and underpowered but somehow very willing. It was also really really really easy to work on, just like all the pushrod volvos I had owned. Audis are not really really really easy to work on- none of them, ever. So the AWD relationship only goes so far in terms of Audi and Subie comparisons, particularly for shadetree people ownership. The Volvo Subie corollary is more of a personality thing- although Volvo has largely abandoned it's linage as the maker of tough utilitarian vehicles, for a time they and Subie were kissing cousins. Not any more, as Volvo has moved into some sort of somewhat utilitarian expensive sort of Buick territory, while Subie has taken Volvo's place as the maker of reasonably priced tough utes.

As for fast Volvos, check out turbo-bricks or you tube. People are making stupendously quick red and white block volvo's for a fraction of a fraction of the cost of similarly quick awd Subies, albeit only in straight-line performance.

Will
Will Reader
11/14/09 12:10 p.m.
mtn wrote: I betcha that almost anybody who has posted here has either A) Owned a Subaru B) Plans on owning a Subaru OR C) Has recommended a Subaru to someone.

No, but I've had my ass handed to me by one...or several. They're not my style but I respect the performance.

I'd say Subaru more like a Japanese Mopar: the designs are all kind of, well, weird, but they have an absolutely rabid fan base that won't consider other makes or models.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/09 12:21 p.m.
irish44j wrote: btw, love all the subaru hate here. Ironic that a board that is devoted to "motorsports" there is so little love for Subarus, which are seen at damn near any kind of motorsports event from rally to autocross to rallycross to track to hillclimbs......

A WRX has been my daily driver for the last six years. There's also a Miata and a 911 in the garage, but the Subaru is the most fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVNeIM3o8TJOPkIAX5K548IKzsYnudHoM1CsSEU3sVVzNEapNFtcoaAJCFAtMRa1