1 2 3
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/14/09 12:59 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: as long as you stay far away from the 2.5 motors, you wouldn't have a problem

Whats wrong with the 2.5? we just test drove one today. The 4 cyl is the only way to get a stick in the legacy.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/09 1:38 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: Whats wrong with the 2.5? we just test drove one today. The 4 cyl is the only way to get a stick in the legacy.

Some of the early ones (non-turbo) had well known head gasket issues. I don't think it's been a problem on new ones for a while.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/14/09 10:22 p.m.
Shaun wrote: As for fast Volvos, check out turbo-bricks or you tube. People are making stupendously quick red and white block volvo's for a fraction of a fraction of the cost of similarly quick awd Subies, albeit only in straight-line performance.

there are a couple really fast turbo bricks that autocross locally (and they look sweet too). I'd love to get a 240-series again just to rallycross, personally :)

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
11/15/09 7:36 a.m.

You know who else thought Subaru and Saab were similar?

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/15/09 10:06 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: Whats wrong with the 2.5? we just test drove one today. The 4 cyl is the only way to get a stick in the legacy.
Some of the early ones (non-turbo) had well known head gasket issues. I don't think it's been a problem on new ones for a while.

The Phase 1 of the EJ251 motor is the one to look out for. That's the DOHC . Phase 2 SOHC is pretty reliable,as long as you don't try to turbo it. It doesn't take much boost at all to pop the Phase 2. Any of the other EJ25 variants are fine.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/15/09 12:00 p.m.

In reply to griffin729:

Is the 2010 stock turbo motor is going to be fine? That is what we are looking at. it will remain stock.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
11/15/09 1:19 p.m.

I have an 06 legacy gt, interior is nice and fine, but I know that volvo seats kick ass after having a V70 as a rental for a weekend.

Other than that I love my subie.

Oh and the new motor is unknown since they are moving the placement of the turbos. I would say stock you are ok, I think they are carrying over the engine block and head from the last gen 2.5 turbo engines.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/15/09 4:17 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: In reply to griffin729: Is the 2010 stock turbo motor is going to be fine? That is what we are looking at. it will remain stock.

should be fine. The new variant had a couple slight hiccups:

• ringland issues on the '08 STi (fixed in later ones)
  • improperly cleaned cranks leading to main bearing failure in the first two months of '09 WRX production (ask me how I know). This only happend in first two months of '09 WRX production and none after.

The new Leggy turbo placement shouldn't have any ill effects on anything, and word is that the 6-speed is out of the STi (us WRX guys stuck with a 5speed are jealous!)

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/15/09 4:32 p.m.

The Legacy had the wierdest thing, when you let off the gas to up shift, the revs actually climbed a few hundred RPMs before dropping back down. It had a hill assist, but that was not on. The salesman was useless, he acted like there wasn't anything odd about it and couldn't tell us if it was normal or not. Is this a Subi thing, or did we just get a badly set up car? We only test drove that one car, it was the non turbo 6 speed 4 cyl.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/15/09 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

I've never noticed that with my WRX ('09)...though there used to be an annoying thing where the revs would "hang" clutching in coming to a stoplight (probably to keep revs up for stop-and-go traffic) for a second. When my engine was replaced, the new one didn't do that.

Hill assist has nothing to do with the engine rpms....it just "holds" the brakes on when you have the clutch in on a hill, so the car won't slip backwards as you let off the brake and go to the gas. I actually really like that feature..no more burning up clutches in stop-and-go on a hil...

On a side note, I think you'd get tired of the non-turbo 4banger leggy real fast. I had a legacy and a forester (both nonturbo 2.5s with a/t) as loaners during my engine replacement and after a couple days with those things it was like torture....too much weight with not enough oomph IMO.

Why not an '09 Legacy GT?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/16/09 7:31 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

"Why not an '09 Legacy GT?"

The 10 is supposed to be larger, especially in the rear seat area. We will have two car seats back there (one rear facing). We want to get as big of a rear seat as possible. We bought a 04 Audi A4 as the mommy mobile thinking that it was a good size car. We don't want to make that mistake again.

Woody
11/16/09 7:35 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: In reply to irish44j: "Why not an '09 Legacy GT?" The 10 is supposed to be larger, especially in the rear seat area. We will have two car seats back there (one rear facing). We want to get as big of a rear seat as possible. We bought a 04 Audi A4 as the mommy mobile thinking that it was a good size car. We don't want to make that mistake again.

Let me know how this works out. I'm having similar thoughts. I'm disappointed that there are no longer any Legacy wagons, just Outbacks. I was hoping that the LGT 5 speed would be back for 2010.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/16/09 10:30 a.m.

Did you see the sema legacy wagon track edition? Gets all the go fast bits plus it comes with a coyote go-kart that fits in the back. I went from Audi's to Subaru. I work in the ski industry, and winter travel in foul weather is a must. To be honest I loved the audi, I just didn't like fixing it. Subarus have served me very well, and reliably. However, their interior will never be the match of the audi.

Woody
11/16/09 10:36 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Did you see the sema legacy wagon track edition? Gets all the go fast bits plus it comes with a coyote go-kart that fits in the back. I went from Audi's to Subaru. I work in the ski industry, and winter travel in foul weather is a must. To be honest I loved the audi, I just didn't like fixing it. Subarus have served me very well, and reliably. However, their interior will never be the match of the audi.

Photos?

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/16/09 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

photos and other bs in the link http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1876225

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/16/09 10:48 a.m.
irish44j wrote: btw, love all the subaru hate here. Ironic that a board that is devoted to "motorsports" there is so little love for Subarus, which are seen at damn near any kind of motorsports event from rally to autocross to rallycross to track to hillclimbs......

Heh? My family has owned 3 Subaru's since 1985. I had an 82 GL that I adored... except it rusted badly... was only a 4 spd and had no a/c... If it had been a 5 spd and had a/c, I'd want to believe I'd still own it.

As much as I like AWD for performance applications, I do NOT like it for daily driver duty... therefore Subarus pretty much killed any chance of me buying one when they switched from p/t 4WD to AWD.

Lastly, my g/f detests Japanese cars of any brand... so until I want to deal with that hassle (not now...), I'm stuck with mostly European cars... maybe American...

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/16/09 8:45 p.m.
sachilles wrote: I went from Audi's to Subaru. I work in the ski industry, and winter travel in foul weather is a must. To be honest I loved the audi, I just didn't like fixing it. Subarus have served me very well, and reliably. However, their interior will never be the match of the audi.

You a Nordica rep? I know those guys get new (free) subies every season

Photobucket

Greg_LI
Greg_LI New Reader
11/16/09 10:45 p.m.

Regarding the test drive of a new Subaru..........the revs hang when you lift to shift. It is normal (unfortunately), but part of the emissions system to prevent unburned gas from going through the exhaust. The Legacy/Outback you drove is either a SULEV or PZEV. That drive-by-wire rev "hang" program is how they can make it run so clean. Other brands/cars have that too, but it is masked on most cars by the automatic trans. A friend's Civic Si does the same thing.

wjones
wjones New Reader
11/16/09 11:19 p.m.

We have a V70 and it has one of the best seats I have ever planted in (car or not).

The Subi's were too small to compare with the V70s in the past.

I am in the market again now again and to find a quality FWD wagon is a PITA. AWD, to me, is not worth the costs in gas. My wife won't drive in snow. I am not taking my family out in a deep snow. I have no problem driving my in E36 in snow. All cars have 4 wheel brakes.

None of the newer wagons really stand out. The V50 stands at the top of our list by being the best of the worst.

Subi - meh, and forced to AWD, V70 - gas guzzler (plus hard to find per '07s used w/ low miles), V50 - ok, Jetta Sportwagen (TDI)- not lux enough (specifically memory drivers seat), Saab - can of worms, Mercedes - not going there, BMW 5 - I love them but $$$$$$$$, Audi A6/Passat - my repair budget will never be big enough, A4/ 3 series wagon - too small with no bennies (ie. TDI milage),

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
11/17/09 2:26 a.m.

What about the Mazda5? You can get it with a manual I believe (good luck finding one, though).

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/09 8:35 a.m.

wjones, you might want to look at 9-5 wagons again. Consumer Reports had the 9-5 as a best lux used car buy at one time. One that has been taken care of will treat you right.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/19/09 10:32 a.m.

Someone was right about the Subaru=Volvo - check out the crash results IIHS top picks - Subarus are everywhere. Click through the gallery to see the picks. http://jalopnik.com/5407052/bmw-toyota-dont-make-iihs-2010-top-safety-list/gallery/ A few notes - No BMWs or Toyotas on the list. Regarding the small cars, anyone have an idea whey the Civic Si and WRX are specifically excluded from the picks? Is some of the safetly equipment decontented? Or is it something stupid like lack of traction control?

socalwrench
socalwrench
11/19/09 11:06 a.m.

In reality, Subaru has always been the Japanese niche maker. They put some sportiness into everything they build, but don't manufacturer enough vehicles to compete in total sales figures.

I applaud Subaru for staying with what they build best- AWD vehicles with small turbocharged engines.

Woody
11/19/09 12:03 p.m.
wjones wrote: We have a V70 and it has one of the best seats I have ever planted in (car or not).

I spent a lot of time in an 850 and I agree that the seats are incredibly comfortable, but you only have to sit in them for a moment to get the feeling that they weigh a metric crapton.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
11/20/09 3:22 p.m.

In reply to wjones:

I have a Saab 9-3 wagon with hardly any worms. The future of the warrantee is a little uncertain, but GM is providing some form of warrantee service. They are selling for huge discounts compared to anything out there, so there is lots of $$$ left over for some repairs. I have had no mechanical issues and only a minor electrical fault that was a simple reset in the ECU to fix. The are currently ranked ahead of Subaru and BMW in reliability by Consumer Reports. The turbo is fun and can be easily reflashed for about 30hp more. Gets good mileage, the roof rack is great, handles very well, sport seats are awesome, stereo is ugly but sound very good. It is worth a test drive at least. Look at the prices on Autotrader you will be surprised.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKqr20MuAiCIwkbwXPSPrc4I8qEBBtpY94x6mDdXV3jKFClA6kK4lMeUFCakAP8Z