1 2 3
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
11/20/09 7:00 p.m.

I'd say Subaru more like a Japanese Mopar: the designs are all kind of, well, weird, but they have an absolutely rabid fan base that won't consider other makes or models.

After having owned a bunch of mopars, and almost being killed in two of them, i now own a subaru.

i owned a honda, toyota, and mazda in between the mopars and subaru.

i must say that this guy was absolutely right in this statement. also, for more reason than he shared.

the subaru i bought (02 LGT wagon, auto) drives a lot like my old dakota RT. no low end torque, decent handling, good brakes, and a hell of a lot of understeer. rides firm but not stiff, comfortable seats, cheap feeling interior, and a smooth tranny. mainenance has also been fairly simple, at least until tomorrow when i do the timing belt. i bought it as it got mopar like gas milage, has plenty of room for a rear facing car seat, pack and play, kid, wife, me, tools, parts, and weekend getaway stuff. my wife likes it, and its a good daily. the styling is kinda bland, as well as the performance, but its my daily, not a track car. if i want something that much fun, i have a whole stableof really modified stuff to play woth.

also, ive owned a couple of 80's subies as winter cars. they were rusty, bent, and quite worn out, but wouldnt die.

michael

wjones
wjones New Reader
11/20/09 7:06 p.m.

81gtv6 & Aspen,

I get Consumer Reports and I will give the Saabs a new look. I am a liitle gun shy because my initial research equated Saabs with sludge. If Saab has fixed that problem they are worth a look. Thanks.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
11/21/09 10:51 a.m.

Re Saab sludge, Yes it was a problem that has been fixed. My initial research scared me too. The 2.3 motor in the 9-5 was the most affected but some PVC updates and the 0W40 oil spec has resolved it. IIRC 2005 and up have no issues. The 2.0l in the current 9-3 has never had sludge issues nor has the 2.8l in the 9-3 Areo. The 9-3 sportcombi only appeared in 2006 and has had very few issues of any kind. These cars are a grassroots bargain. Normal people are afraid, but people like us who can search the web for on-line parts and service advice plus turn a wrench a little should be snapping them up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JNxwNRh0RVudUBcsALGr3CW4cTNqlwY7yE0I0KPma7Luiubk3XYc8IhWpvtAHX0l