1 2 3 4 ... 6
bluescooby
bluescooby New Reader
3/18/13 11:33 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: Every single forum has its annoying and not-so annoying fanboys, even GRM.

Yep, this.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/18/13 11:38 a.m.

The think with subuaru's, especially the turbo ones, is that they can let you get away with bad habits. In regards to autocross, it's a like a novice getting r compounds for the first time, early in their development. Suddenly they are much faster, while not really getting any better. You can be a less than spectacular driver in a lightly modified subie and still put in decent times. The cars strengths tend to cover a lot of driver weakness. I really noticed an epic difference when I went from a n/a motor to a turbo motor, in the same subie chassis.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/18/13 12:10 p.m.

I've spent a fair amount of time reading rally and rallycross builds on dirtyimpreza.com. They seem really down to earth and aware of the cars strong and weak points. Lot's of real world low buck rally builds. Young guys telling people ath 80hp is more than enough to start rallying on, concnetrate of safety, comfort, suspension, brakes and finally power down the line. I'm impressed.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
3/18/13 12:45 p.m.

+1000 on dirtyimpreza.com It is much better than the other Subaru forums and Subarus are meant to be driven off road anyway

I visit NastySock only for the classifieds since sometimes you just need a spoiler.

As far as the interior quality goes - it doesn't bother me since the only piece of the interior left in my rally car is the dashboard

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/18/13 1:01 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

All I know is that we have owned Subies, 96,98 and 11, and they had interiors were as good as anything else I have owned and they have needed fewer repairs than any other cars I have owned. We still have the 98 Impreza and teh 11 Impreza. The 98 jas about 230,000 miles on the original engine, no oil burning (I mean it needs little or no topping off between oil changes - I replaced gaskets and seals at 220,000) and compression is at about 170 psi in all four cylinders. The car is now on our second college student and has been autocrossed many times. I am not saying that they are God's gift to car-dom, but there are few cars in my experience which can match them, especially as a daily driver here in the rural north east.

I would not describe myself as a fanboi. My handle is Moparman, I autocross a 99 Neon in FSP, until recently I owned an 84 Charger FSP car as well. My daily driver is on 07 Dakota quad-cab and I own two Shelby Dakota's. I do however, believe that the Subaru Impreza (in particular) is the best car for the money for all-weather daily driving.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/18/13 1:05 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

I would agree with you about having too much grip too early on the learning curve. I did a year on Street tires in my old Charger 2.2. I then moved up to R-tires. My learning slowed precipitously. I can crack top ten in PAX occasionally with my Neon, but I am no where near as quick at the usual top seven drivers in my region.

I am in stuck in the minor leagues.

Hal
Hal Dork
3/18/13 1:26 p.m.

I guess I have now joined the Subaru "fanboi" club. Back in October 2012 we bought the wife a 2013 Legacy.

Why?

1. We test drove every mid-size car we could find a local dealer for (8 of them). The Legacy gave us all the options we were looking for at the best price.

2. My brother has an older Impresa wagon that he bought with 50K miles on it. He now has 320K miles on it with no major problems and he has never been very good at doing regular maintenance on anything.

3. His daughter has an Outback that she bought with 45K on it that now has 120K. No major problems with this one either, but she is much better about regular maintenance than her father.

I stay away from any marque specific web sites (except one) for the reason that most of the people on them are fanatics and rather unreasonable.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
3/18/13 1:57 p.m.

I dunno.... ForteForums may have you beat.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/18/13 2:08 p.m.

Every car/car company has their annoying fanbois.

In the s2000 world, all the fanbois run massive amounts of aero like splitters, diffusers, canards and huge wings on otherwise stock cars that never see the track. Not to mention that 90% of these cars are 'stanced'. Pretty annoying for theist part, so I don't keep up with the forums there unless I'm looking for specific info.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/18/13 2:13 p.m.

The E21 section of Bimmerforums is not bad. But that's the only section I go to.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
3/18/13 2:18 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222: 1.) They spent all of their money on the car and mods' 2.) They spent all of their money on the car and mods' 3.) It has AWD and you don't! 4.) It has AWD and you don't!

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/18/13 2:25 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I dunno.... ForteForums may have you beat.

I seriously haven't seen that level of idiocy run unchecked since focus fanatics was in its prime.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/18/13 2:35 p.m.

I suppose I've become spoiled with TDiclub, but I've always said that forum is populated more by diesel fans rather than VW fans.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/18/13 3:06 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: nobody has a worse online presence than the Panther chassis community. NOBODY.

I will agree with this one as well. When I had my '86 Crown Vic Coupe, I told the other Box guys that I wanted to drop a 32-valve Lincoln 4.6L in and bag it, they acted like I was preparing to murder somebody. If it wasn't a modified 302 and suspension off a police interceptor, they didn't want to hear it.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/13 3:16 p.m.

Wow, I surfed to the Forte forums, and just wow. I suppose it is to be expected with a new platform though.

I have to agree with a lot of what has been stated about Subarus. The oiling, knock control, bearings, bore/stroke ratio, suspension geomotry, and ECM programming are all seriously deficient for a car with performance or race pretensions. But I dont want to drive my kids to class in a race car. The paints thin, the carpet is cheap, my seats never met a stain they didnt like, and it took forever to chase down all the rattles, but I sure dont want to pay for a luxury car anymore. Subarus are a good balance of the qualities that I think are important to a daily driver. So I just accept them for the sporty econo boxen that they are.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/18/13 4:36 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

The worst was the import craze of the late 90s. Everyone wanted to be part of that culture. Even the Neon owners gravitated to the import crowed and went to great lengths to disavow any common heritage with the earlier FWD Mopars (of which there is more than many believe).

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/18/13 4:57 p.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to yamaha: The worst was the import craze of the late 90s. Everyone wanted to be part of that culture. Even the Neon owners gravitated to the import crowed and went to great lengths to disavow any common heritage with the earlier FWD Mopars (of which there is more than many believe).

Nah, I knew that.....its where the srt community came from.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
3/18/13 5:10 p.m.

There's a Mazda Protege5 forum that although filled with guys seemingly half my age, it's very civil with plenty of contributors willing to give sound advice. It was a welcome change from a certain Hyundai site.

jhaas
jhaas HalfDork
3/18/13 5:57 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Subaru people aren't nearly as bad as VW fanbois.

VWvortex.com

bwahahaha

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/18/13 6:23 p.m.
Tralfaz wrote: Why do you use forums to complain? Maybe that's why my post count is so low?

Thinking the same thing. So you are bitching and moaning about them bitching and moaning. Every community has their shiny happy people (can I say that here?). Some more than others...

Cheers

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
3/18/13 6:31 p.m.

I loved my WRX but I'm glad I'm not part of the community anymore. When I got into it, it was mostly nerdy kids and rally nuts, now that it's the domain of flat brimmed Monster cap-wearing bro morons and their ilk I don't want to be anywhere near it.

I'm enjoying the Mazda community and I've noticed that a ton of the people I meet in it are ex-Subaru people like myself.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/13 6:48 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: In reply to DirtyBird222: 1.) They spent all of their money on the car and mods' 2.) They spent all of their money on the car and mods' 3.) It has AWD and you don't! 4.) It has AWD and you don't!

I "put" a WRX into a Jersey barrier driven by a kid like that with my 318ti. Coming out of Atlantic City on the AC Exressway, there is a very tight decreasing radius turn they had to put in to avoid the already existing trainstation. I could take it at between 60 to 65 mph in my ti with no real effort (no squealing of sidewalls, no hints of a squirrely suspension).

One night I came through the tunnel and had a WRX on my ass the entire time, trying to "play" with the bimmer. Well, that night I went around that corner much faster than usual.. car got a little squirrely on me.. but came through by just going a little wider than usual. When I looked up into the rear view.. the Subaru was gone. He had been there right up until the turn get very tight.. but never resurfaced. The next night, I could see a nice new "Scar" on the barrierr where a car had obviously hit it and scraped down the side for a bit.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
3/18/13 7:22 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: There's a Mazda Protege5 forum that although filled with guys seemingly half my age, it's very civil with plenty of contributors willing to give sound advice. It was a welcome change from a certain Hyundai site.

I've been looking for a P5 site for a while, witch one if you don't mind me asking?

Most mazda foums have been really good for me mazdaspeedforums.org, RX8club.com nopistons.com. Mazdas247.com has been quite hit and miss for me.

Worst ive seen so far aside from vortex was bf.c but that's why I was always on e36-tech.com

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/18/13 7:39 p.m.

MSF can go berkeley a rake as far as I'm concerned. I've been banned from there several times for calling the owner a collection of names- and I don't believe I'm welcome back.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/18/13 7:47 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: A) Why are you so cheap? B) Why do you get so butthurt when you complain about anything related to Subaru? C) Why do you think everything else on the road is inferior to your Japanese version of a 1980s Pontiac? As in why do you think Subaru is the only good autox vehicle in the world? By far one of the worst automotive communities I've ever dealt with in my life. Made a statement on a forum that I'd rather have my Si back and holy that blew some people's mental gaskets. Made a complaint about Subaru interior quality like I have before on here and same result as before. Maybe this should go in off-topic... /rant

Not that I'd consider myself a "fanboi" of anything (having in the last 10 years owed a BMW, Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Triumph, Jeep, Mazda, Honda, Acura, and a few other things), but I currently DD a WRX. My next car will probably not be a Subaru, but that's mostly because I don't much like the way the new sedans work, not because I dislike the way the car drives.

But I'll argue the point as a subaru owner who visits NASIOC and the other subie forums here and there (mostly for rallycross threads) and both agrees and disagrees with you.

And whilst I'm sure these are rhetorical questions anyhow.....I'm bored and there's an old TopGear on right now with them driving across Africa in a Volvo, BMW, and Subaru...so why not :)

A) Cheap as in how? I personally have never been on ANY car forum where the people aren't "cheap"...aside from maybe vintage car forums, and some exotic/retro-mod forums. Subarus are owned by younger people, who have less money. People who have less money are cheap (at least, they should be). That said, nothing on my WRX was cheap. Everything on my e30 and Jeep was. Subaru parts are overpriced, if anything. I bargain-shop when I can, and buy full price when I can't find a bargain.

A2) Cheap compared to GRM? :D

B) And this is different from any other enthusiast forum how? The people are on said forums because they're enthusiastic about their cars. Seems pretty cut and dry. People on a Mustang forum or an e30 forum don't get butthurt if you talk trash about their cars? Really?

C) I don't get the pontiac reference. But see B) for same answer.

C2) Maybe they thought you said "rallycross." But even for autocross, in my experience there (long before owning a Subaru), Subies have always done well. Mine is mediocre at best at autocross.

C3) Go make the statement about your Si on a Mustang forum, VW forum, BMW forum, Ford Focus forum, or any other sporty/performance car forum. You'll get the same response, I'm betting.

C4) Subaru interior quality is fine if you are fine with a basic interior. It's not particularly nice to look at and the dash and door panels don't have a soft touch....but I don't know what is "bad quality" about it....I'm at 80k hard miles on mine and nothing on the interior (or electrical) has ever broken or fallen apart. Is an e46 "interior quality" great? Looks that way until your window stop. working... I don't see "quality" as equating to "plushness". I see "quality" as equating to "functional" or "broken"

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uzk5VSCZyjp0AAcYrqSFFBK3u7qbFxRLS6E3a7Vd0wGskQyhCyRzbnstEZlGRHzt