1 2 3
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/8/24 8:11 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Vorshlag makes BMW swap stuff for the E36 and E46. That gets you the Z3 or Z4 for cute but comfy/classy convertible two seaters, and gets you sedan/coupe based convertibles as well. They are pricey, but from what I can tell they make really nice and complete solutions for a swap.

Alternatively, find an 850i where the previous owner got sick of V12 electrical issues. Or maybe this.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
3/8/24 8:19 p.m.

'66 Corvair. Hear me out:

Curvy, slinky shape, like a Camaro and a Corvette had a baby. Yes, I know they're rear (air cooled flat six) engined, but remove that, drop the body on a C6 Corvette front suspension/your LS6/torque tube/rear transaxle drivetrain (ok, some sheetmetal surgery may be required - like cut out the frunk, the firewall, add in a driveshaft/torque tube hump to the floorpan, open up the front fascia between the headlights for a radiator, move the fuel tank to the rear....details).

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/8/24 8:23 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Or, since I won't get a 3 page long retort about why it's a terrible idea, why not a sexy Jag XJS?  I haven't checked for awhile.  Are they still cheap?

I can fill in, if ya like? I'm 'bout as long winded, but not as delusional! Well, at least i think I'm not... I might not be a good judge...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 8:33 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I like your outside the box thinking

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 8:35 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I like the Cadillac idea, but she has no love whatsoever for the Seville. 

Maybe a classic SL...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/8/24 8:41 p.m.

TIL - there are people that actually like the saville. cheeky

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 8:42 p.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

I like the Corvair, but I don't think she will. A bit too much fabrication. 

I had a nice '66 Corvair.  I really wanted to make it front engine AWD (on an SVX chassis)

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
3/8/24 8:44 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Or, since I won't get a 3 page long retort about why it's a terrible idea, why not a sexy Jag XJS?  I haven't checked for awhile.  Are they still cheap?

Yeah and there are kits that make it plug and play

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
3/8/24 9:00 p.m.
John Welsh said:

BiTurbo!!

What is hard to tell about the BiTrubo from pictures, but seeing one in real life it become obvious...these cars look almost square.  What I mean is they are interesingly wide and interestingly short.  

Generally, the car is comparable to a BMW e30, but... 

Biturbo is nearly 5 inches shorter and nearly 5 inches wider while being 3 inches less tall and 3 inches less wheelbase.  

This poor picture captures the length difference (with an odd ride height on the BiTurbo) but doesn't simultaneously capture the width difference.  

I love . It. A. Lot.

Bitubro ragtop has nicer lines IMO tho. Unless it's box flared of course. Loved that dang car.

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
3/8/24 9:17 p.m.

I really enjoy the blasphemy of an LS engine in a classic 60's mustang...there's video of another guy who did it somewhere in the internet. Took it to a mustang show and blew people's mind.

Edit: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1563409-67-mustang-ls-swap.html

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 9:19 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Sadly, the Seville is out of the running but how about the BiTurbo?  

If you do go with the Maserati your license plate has to be some version of 185 (letter or number combo) and then your license plate frame has to read, "My other car is a limo."  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/8/24 9:29 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I've never really had much love for the BiTurbo.

I know...blasphemy!

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
3/8/24 9:45 p.m.

How about a late 90s early 2000 xk? Xk8

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 9:55 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I find it to be a very attractive body and "right size" package desperately in need of a reliable drivetrain.  True, the interiors have not aged well but I think two aftermarket (or repurposed) seats, a rear seat delete and door cards replaced with smooth panels will go a long way to freshening the interior.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 10:05 p.m.

A traditionalist answer...Corvette.  

Disco era C3's with the anemic engines are in need of a HP boost and are the cheapest C3's (but even they are going up in price.)  
Crossfire Injection of the early C4's is unloved and are probably the cheapest.  
C5's are at a point of just being old but not yet being cool.   

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/9/24 7:13 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/9/24 7:14 a.m.

​​​​​​

I would say my CorvetteKart because it's sitting here looking for a driveline. Unfortunately it fits none of your needs, but would make for a fun trackday hooligan ride.

There are quite a few older American cars that would be fun with a modern engine/trans swap, Nova, Falcon, early Mustang and many more. The hp and tq would turn most any early British offering to a flexed mess in no time. But, I have owned a V-8 MGB and Miata and both were fun while I had them. I currently have an Austin-Healey replica like the one shown that will be built with a V-8, likely a Ford 302/5-speed. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/24 8:48 a.m.
SV reX said:

I was gonna put the motor and trans in my 1960 El Camino. It would be really cool, but I'm not actually sure I'd drive it much once finished.

Um yes you would! How is this not the prime plan?? The '60 body style has broad appeal, not just to weird car guys like us. It doesn't look like "just an El Camino" which can be polarizing. It would also be more valuable than just the sum of its parts, unlike a late model BMW swap.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/9/24 9:03 a.m.
maschinenbau said:
SV reX said:

I was gonna put the motor and trans in my 1960 El Camino. It would be really cool, but I'm not actually sure I'd drive it much once finished.

Um yes you would! How is this not the prime plan?? The '60 body style has broad appeal, not just to weird car guys like us. It doesn't look like "just an El Camino" which can be polarizing. It would also be more valuable than just the sum of its parts, unlike a late model BMW swap.

Upon reflection, this is the most best answer.  If not now (with the Elky) then when? Maybe you should just sell the El Camino if it doesn't get you excited.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
3/9/24 9:24 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Do you still have the ls swapped 6 series?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/9/24 9:42 a.m.

What about something random like an XLR?  They pop up cheap when their Northstars find the inevitable end of life.  Great eyeball and mostly corvette chassis should mean unique and performance in one package.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1077835100005606/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A85370b48-641b-4b06-9e2c-13db58fd427c

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/9/24 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

That would be the plan if I give up on it.

It does excite me, but it's not a "We" thing.  

There's no doubt it would be very valuable. More valuable than any vehicle I've ever owned. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/9/24 12:37 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to SV reX :

Do you still have the ls swapped 6 series?

No. Sold it. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/9/24 12:40 p.m.

There are a couple other things specifically about the 1960 El Camino...

First off, it's on an X frame.  They are not known for stiffness. The additional power of the LS would be a lot for it.  It will never be a corner carver.  It doesn't lend itself well to extra passengers. It's huge and heavy. It has zero safety design features at all.  

Plus, it doesn't fit in the garage!! 😂🤣

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnoxNFi4yBYI6Vz979ADMnp6gMMwTdJW9AcSTqC23KFe9WV1JjmNjh9oUDNBCl1h