lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/31/21 9:48 a.m.

I was on the fence about paying 10 bucks to watch youtubers drive around a small track in stock crown vics, but its kinda starting to look like actual racing. To add to the legitamacy, Randy Pobst just signed on as a replacement driver. Between him, Pastrana, Foust,  and 4 other nascar drivers, It's getting a little more than just famous youtubers. 

Youtube sucks. Cleetus is just a character. All of these youtubers suck. I hear all of that, but he took a dead race track destined for a subdivision, is bringing actual stock car racing back, and revitalizing the failed industry. If that isnt GRM, I don't really know what is. 

Also, Randy Pobst is a legend. I don't think he turns down any sort of race. Every story he tells is great, and every interaction I see of him, he just seems like a down to earth guy that loves to drive fast. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
3/31/21 9:59 a.m.

I really like Randy Pobst.

However, after seeing Cleetus respond after a participant received third degree burns at one of his "events", I have already made up my mind about sending him any money, or watching any of his content.   That's not GRM at all.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/31/21 10:19 a.m.

The participant he made a video about the accident on his second channel, went to the hospital numerous times, drove the guy around in his galaxy as soon as he got out,  and continues to be friends with the guy? Parker was on his video a couple weeks ago, machining a block for him overnight to try and get it running for an event. If Parker isn't mad about it, I don't think anyone else should be. There's alot more after that story that is important too. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/31/21 10:22 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

The participant he made a video about the accident on his second channel, went to the hospital numerous times, drove the guy around in his galaxy as soon as he got out,  and continues to be friends with the guy? Parker was on his video a couple weeks ago, machining a block for him overnight to try and get it running for an event. If Parker isn't mad about it, I don't think anyone else should be. There's a lot more after that story that is important too. 

This. He really stepped up to the plate afterwards. They also drastically overhauled the safety requirements for their burnout contests.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/31/21 10:35 a.m.
NickD said:
lnlogauge said:

The participant he made a video about the accident on his second channel, went to the hospital numerous times, drove the guy around in his galaxy as soon as he got out,  and continues to be friends with the guy? Parker was on his video a couple weeks ago, machining a block for him overnight to try and get it running for an event. If Parker isn't mad about it, I don't think anyone else should be. There's a lot more after that story that is important too. 

This. He really stepped up to the plate afterwards. They also drastically overhauled the safety requirements for their burnout contests.

I guess they aren't going to do the radiator behind the seat thing anymore. That would be a good thing. yes

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/31/21 10:44 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
NickD said:
lnlogauge said:

I guess they aren't going to do the radiator behind the seat thing anymore. That would be a good thing. yes

If you have a rear-mounted cooling system, there has to be a firewall between you and it. Like, Cleetus has a little Cushman van that they put a gnarly turbo rotary in, and they had the radiator in the cargo area with no firewall. For this years event, they sent it out and had a full firewall built to seal it from the passenger compartment. I also didn't see any Exocet/Vette-Kart style machines in the footage, so I think those might not be allowed either. They also had EMTs and fire staff right there in the entrance chute, ready to roll. As soon as a car entered the box, the safety crews pulled right up.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/31/21 11:39 a.m.

It's definitely a phenomenon of the modern age.  It allows so many more millions of people to feel destined for the fame and success they truly deserve, even from their back yards in Podunk, Whereversville.  I am guilty of watching (but never, ever paying).  I am also getting dumber with age.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/21 12:15 p.m.

I live 10 miles from the Freedom Factory (Desoto Speedway). I've been watching races there since I was 12.  Randy Pobst is a super cool guy. I'll be there rooting for him!  I'm happy to see less of the Danny Duncan goofball you tubers and more real drivers for this one  

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
3/31/21 12:20 p.m.

Plus he's got Larry mac as the announcer again!  Should be great

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/21 12:35 p.m.

Also note that Ryan Tuerck is driving a v6 Camry instead of a crown vic. cause of his Toyota contract requiring him to drive a Toyota.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/31/21 12:51 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Also note that Ryan Tuerck is driving a v6 Camry instead of a crown vic. cause of his Toyota contract requiring him to drive a Toyota.

And informal testing showed that a V6 Camry of the mid-2000s vintage performs on par with a Crown Vic. They were worried it might be too fast, but then also realized that if Tuerck got out there lapping people, someone would just clip him as he went by and put him in his place.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
3/31/21 12:57 p.m.
Cooter said:

I really like Randy Pobst.

However, after seeing Cleetus respond after a participant received third degree burns at one of his "events", I have already made up my mind about sending him any money, or watching any of his content.   That's not GRM at all.

I don't like him either, and if you Google James' full name there is some interesting stuff that comes up about him too.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/31/21 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

I got to page 10 of googling James Taal, and found nothing. keep looking for reasons to dislike people I guess. Also make sure to let everyone know you dislike them too. 

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/31/21 2:07 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

I wasn't going to say anything, but curiosity got the better of me too, I found 2 arrest records and mug shots in <10 seconds.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/31/21 2:27 p.m.

if you search arrest you find it. googling his name alone comes up with nothing. Everyone who is arrested isn't guilty. He may have been guilty, but a mugshot and arrest doesn't really change my opinion of him. Doesn't look like he ever served time, and even if he did people change. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/21 2:34 p.m.

It's entertaining for sure. I'm amazed at the income that apparently comes with big YouTube channels (or merch sales and sponsors more likely).

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/31/21 10:10 p.m.

Since NASCAR is off this week and I've almost finished watching the 12 Hours of Sebring I decided to spring for the PPV.  However, it's $15 and apparently jumps to $20 after 4/1.  With Randy Pobst and Larry Mac on board I figure it should be entertaining.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/21 11:24 p.m.

I watched the last one and really enjoyed it.  Brought me back to Saturday night at the local 1/4 mile oval.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/1/21 8:50 a.m.
NickD said:
MrChaos said:

And informal testing showed that a V6 Camry of the mid-2000s vintage performs on par with a Crown Vic. They were worried it might be too fast, but then also realized that if Tuerck got out there lapping people, someone would just clip him as he went by and put him in his place.

I kind of wonder if the newer Camry is going to have same flaw the older GRM Camry had regarding oiling under high G's.  If so, he may not last many laps anyway.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
4/1/21 9:39 a.m.
NickD said:
MrChaos said:

I saw a post on Cleetus's Instagram of him doing handbrake turns and lighting up the tires with the Camry and a caption about maybe having made a mistake getting it lol. Should be a good showing!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/21 9:41 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
NickD said:
MrChaos said:

I kind of wonder if the newer Camry is going to have same flaw the older GRM Camry had regarding oiling under high G's.  If so, he may not last many laps anyway.

im pretty sure that vintage camry still has the oiling issues with the v6's. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/1/21 9:51 a.m.

So, even odds on if he gets punted off track or the engine blows?  laugh

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/1/21 10:15 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
NickD said:
MrChaos said:

Ooooh, good point. Also really ironic and hilarious that the pro drifter gets stuck with the only FWD car in the field

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/2/21 11:04 a.m.

He put out a video today of Travis Pastrana coming over and hanging out and was saying before the Freedom 500, they are going to have an opening act of 4 limos doing a ten lap race. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
4/3/21 9:10 a.m.

Seems like the “replacement” drivers were ringers!  But seeing as I’ve driven with them in Champ and WRL, I’m not surprised at the result.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LyyYI2HKVtr0FTmjgGKH1dKMVpq1x2xDDyeowPz67tY3qssd4L5sJExpRRgUslEZ