Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/15 4:47 p.m.

Vilem B. Haan Maserati Triple Air Horn store display model.

photo Maserati 005_zpsrfdlgrfc.jpg

I always loved the old black and white Vilem B. Haan, MG Mitten and Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories ads. I'm not really a collector of things, but I've gradually accumulated a bunch of vintage rally stuff. I have a Stevens Wheel, a Curta, a few old rallying books and I'm pretty close to getting my hands on some Halda stuff. This falls right into place with all that.

Now I just need to figure how to get it wired up with a small battery... without letting the smoke out.

2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure New Reader
10/4/15 4:58 p.m.

Extremely cool.

Woody
10/4/15 5:02 p.m.

Nothing's better than finding cool car stuff at a non-car swap meet.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/4/15 5:33 p.m.

If those are madw like FIAMM's, there is pretty much nothing that can go wrong with them. Pop the cap off the "compressor" section of the motor and lube the vanes with light oil, reassemble and blow out some ear drums.

Woody
10/4/15 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K. Balls:

As luck would have it, I just so happen to have a FIAMM compressor on the shelf. It turns out, there is something that can go wrong with them: Woody can drop one onto the garage floor, shattering the plastic top into dozens of pieces. Which presents us with what we will call: "An Opportunity to Learn"...

photo Maserati 025_zps7k3nl45n.jpg

Yup, just a simple, vertical electric motor inside.

photo Maserati 024_zpsycnhbyoj.jpg

photo Maserati 028_zpsmrrrqriy.jpg

photo Maserati20031_zpsrz7gidgp.jpg

Inside the cast base is just an impeller, driven off the bottom of the motor's center shaft. There is a small hidden air intake behind the boss for the mounting bolt, and an exhaust port where the hose to the horns mounts.

photo Maserati 030_zpsz4tajwwy.jpg

Positive terminal on one side and negative on the other. Add twelve volts and she spins. Pretty simple. It doesn't even need to know that there are horns and switches attached.

Woody
10/5/15 5:52 p.m.

I am really surprised that it has been nearly impossible to find a reliable set of directions for these things online.

I think this is the correct front page of the installation instructions:

photo maseratifront_zpsvxcz6tqt.jpg

and I'm not really sure, but this may be one of the pages included with the dual horn version.

photo maseratiback_zpscv7ldapg.jpg

That's the best that I can find so far.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oojKTLvqn7koDV5ibq4fJc6nDXz5iw8S43kN3uAcHsKbitN8Kk9uPoY3U9oIkinv